Apple mobile devices recording location data

80 posts in this topic

Well, I am shocked and disgusted but not entirely surprised to learn my movements over the last year have been secretly recorded without my knowledge.

However, it is somewhat amusing to see the 2K loop around the block from walking the dog and trips to Aldi & local pub :-)

Anybody else download the program to display the tracking data?

http://petewarden.gi.../iPhoneTracker/

What do you think? Is this Apple spying or is this a harmless "new feature"??

http://edition.cnn.c...dex.html?hpt=T1

(CNN) -- Apple devices appear to be tracking their owners' locations and storing data about people's whereabouts without their knowledge, according to a report posted Wednesday on a site called iPhone Tracker.

The unauthorized surveillance started in June 2010, when the latest version of Apple's mobile operating system was released, according to two researchers who say they discovered a hidden tracking file and posted it out of concern for users.

Apple has not responded to the allegations.

The researchers have posted a program online that will let any iPhone user see a map of his or her location over time, going back to June, when iOS 4.0 was released.

Wasn't Skynet supposed to become self-aware at 8:11pm yesterday? Maybe Apple customers will be first on the hit-list, much to the delight of Microsoft... whose customers will be 2nd on the hit-list.

Report from BBC. The tracking is covered by iPhone's terms of use.

"We may collect information such as occupation, language, zip code, area code, unique device identifier, location, and the time zone where an Apple product is used so that we can better understand customer behaviour and improve our products, services, and advertising"

It's not just the iPhone.

http://www.bgr.com/2011/04/20/your-smartphone-is-tracking-you-and-you-said-it-was-okay/

Steve jobs decides which apps you are allowed to use and soon you will only go where Steve Jobs thinks you should be.. All hail Steve Jobs, now go out and put your preorders in for the next round of marginally better iProducts!

All smartphones do the same and it is even in the TOS. Again people making a big fuss just because it is Apple.

Is it only me thinking...bothered?

I don't think i really care if Apple knows where i am...unless Apple is trying to break into my garage :ph34r:

Perhaps not but it's amusing when location information could have been used to your advantage (as in my ongoing fight with Vodafone about data roaming charges while in Hong Kong) big companies deny any knowledge of location tracking data, but when it comes to stuffing targeted adverts at you that benefit them it's a whole different song...

Its all well and good and people don't care, until something like the below becomes more widespread and makes its way over here.

Michigan Police Could Search Cell Phones During Traffic Stops

"The Michigan State Police have a high-tech mobile forensics device that can be used to extract information from cell phones belonging to motorists stopped for minor traffic violations. The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) of Michigan last Wednesday demanded that state officials stop stonewalling freedom of information requests for information on the program. A US Department of Justice test of the CelleBrite UFED used by Michigan police found the device could grab all of the photos and videos off of an iPhone within one-and-a-half minutes.

Not an expert in the details but :

Strictly speaking any mobile device is doing this and potentially down to quite a fine grain depending on the network infrastructure in the locality.

The important question is the governence surrounding how this data is used and how it is stored. Broadly speaking what is typically monitored is:

- Probe data collected from gateways - Deep packet or content inspection which can say what sites or types of sites are being visited etc

- xDR/SIP data records which are useful for describing network experience, calls from from and to

- Cell occupancy from the network equipment (via the VLR)

Don't know about that, but the various reports are showing that a fook ton of info is being collected.

GPS Position, Cell tower details, times, dates, WLAN Access points seen by the device (Even if you don't connect to them)

and many other things. All stored for as long as the device has been in use.

Google tried doing this with/in the street cars collecting Street view pix and look what kinda trouble they got into.

I expect we'll see the first round of Class action lawsuits filed against Apple in the next few weeks. not to mention

a possible govt. investigation - Congress and FCC Also Wanna Know Why Your iPhone’s Secretly Tracking Your Location - Link

The Dark Knight returns! Welcome back.

Here's the BBC's take on it, they say this was put in page 28 of the T's & C's, sounds like it's just for analytics and it's anonymised (apparently).

They then went on to give an example of how this data might now be used by other people.. e.g., divorce lawyers would now want to try and subpena alleged disloyal lovers iPhone's to try and prove they were being unfaithful with their location-based habits :)

-- A happy [faithful] Android user here :lol:

My guess would be that unlike telcos which operate under strict legal oversite in most juristictions Apple probably is not.

shit... now Apple knows that I spend too much time in the toilet reading TT forum via iphone :unsure:

What is new? We live in a world of being spied on. Your IP address,even for this forum is recorded and given to creditors and the government. Your cell phone is a GPS just about to any person. You are photoed just about everywhere you travel. I personally recommend a proxy server for the computer. Mobile phone a pay and go one. Photos, a hat and either sunglasses or normal glasses.

Probably in this case Apple are being somewhat smart - Google had to drive cars around the world to create a database correlating WLAN SSIDs and GPS co-ordinates. Apple are letting you do it for them using equipment you paid them a handsome price for. No so dumb really.