Putting unwanted furniture outside on the street

14 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I've seen every now again that people dump small unwanted furniture out on the street if its not just junk, and they put a "zu verschenken" sign on it.

Is this a legitimate way of getting rid of the odd thing if you want to, or is it frowned upon? Otherwise, it seems a bit silly to order sperrmuell pickup for one single item. Are there any rules which have to be followed if you want to go the "zu verschenken" route?

And don't put it out too long before your pick up or people may feel it is ok to add their own unwanted things to the heap. Because you started the heap, you will be held responsible for the full removal bill.

There was a story a while back on the BBC of a guy who did this in the UK and nobody was interested - I believe it was a fridge he was giving away. After a few days he changed the sign to 'For sale $10' and within the hour someone had stolen it :rolleyes:

Here in Germany there's nothing to stop you putting this stuff on your driveway or garden in front of your house, or on any property you own, but not on the public street, and as the others have said beware of unexpected results ;)

I did see this one time in a dodgy neighbourhood. Someone had put some old clothes and shoes into a shopping trolley with the 'zu verschenken' sign on it. I'd bet you'd get some pretty puzzled looks in the leafy suburbs if you tried it though.

You can always ask your neighbours if they want to share a Sperrmüll collection with you.

Just do it, but make sure noone sees! As long as its something someone would actually want. I think its good to pass things on and it happens all the time in my neighbourhood and it is not remotely dodgy. Not legal, but as long as you take it back in after a day or two if noone takes it then whats the harm.

If you don't want to risk it could you put it in your hallway for your immediate neighbours? People in my building do it all the time ans the stuff is usually taken. I've got a few good things from it myself before.

I am moving to my apartment in Berlin next week but have discovered that my neighbour has used my cellar and put all his spare stuff in it and put a lock on the cellar door, how do I stand legally and how should I approach him to remove the lock and his items. Do I need to give him so many days notice? Any help greatly appreciated.

Ditto, Hausverwaltung (management company). If you don't know who they are then either look for the piece of paper hanging somewhere in the stairs or ask your landlord, if you've bought the place and don't know who they are then you're on the beginning of what is going to be a great adventure.

You could be really adventurous and knock on the doors and talk to your neighbours and ask them all. This could be the start of a revolution, and perhaps also a great adventure :)

Yah the difference between leaving things out and calling for a pickup is that the city will just dump all of it, while you might (and, I think, should) want the things to have a longer life. A good compromise might be that you schedule a pickup but leave things out a day or two early so people have a chance to rout through your trash, but it doesn't stay there for too long to rot and get you in trouble.