Soups for every occasion

55 posts in this topic

Hello everyone.

Soups are universally loved, no? Well, this could be TT's very own little soup database; for every occasion, mood and event. Please do share as many soup recipes as you can. Who knows, we might even have TT Soup Evenings if this turns out good!

I'll start with a lentil soup from my area, variously called Rasam or Saaru or Rasa. It requires a spice-mix to be made and stored. I will post the quick recipe.

You need -

1. Coriander seeds - 1 cup

2. Red Kashmiri Chillies - 1/2 cup (for the colour)

3. Deggi chillies - 1/2 cup (for the hotness - this you can adjust according to your palate)

4. Black peppercorns - 1-2 tbsp

5. Mustard seeds - 1-2 tsp

6. Fenugreek seeds - 1-2 tbsp

7. A pinch of asafoetida

8. A pinch of turmeric

9. Arhar Dal (yellow pigeon lentils) - 1/4 to 1/3 cup, depending on how thick you want your soup (you could also boil these lentils later on and add to the soup if you want it thicker)

10. Cumin seeds - 1-2 tbsp

11. Fresh curry leaves - 1-2 stalks

These are for the spice-mix

11. 2 small tomatoes, quartered

12. Salt

13. A cube of sugar

14. Tamarind paste - 2 tsp

15. Mustard seeds - 1 tsp

16. Cumin seeds 1 tsp

17. Asafoetida - A pinch

18. Turmeric - A pinch

19. Fresh curry leaves - 4-5

20. Ghee or clarified butter (Butterschmalz)

These are for the tempering

21. Freshly grated coconut - 2 tbsp.

Dry roast the chillies and the coriander seeds together. Roast the lentils till red separately. Roast the rest of the spice-mix ingredients with a teeny tiny bit of oil. Grind them all together and store in an airtight box.

To half a litre of water, add the amount of spice mix you want, (boiled yellow lentils if you want a thicker soup - mash them up fine), salt, sugar, tamarind paste and the chopped tomatoes and boil till an orange foam separates at the top. Mash up the tomatoes.

In a small pan, heat the ghee, add the mustard and cumin seeds and let them crackle. Add the turmeric, asafoetida, curry leaves and transfer this to the soup. Garnish with fresh coconut and serve! This serves two.

Cheers!

Twenty-one ingredients?! Quick??

[Cream of] Broccoli soup:

Cook broccoli until tender but still dark green in some water which you don't throw out. Chuck the broccoli in a blender and add the cooking water halfway up as far as the broccoli's sitting. Add a knob of butter and some salt & pepper. Blend for 30 seconds. Add some cream if you really want to.

woof.

@ BadDoggie -

Thanks for the Broccoli soup recipe.

Yep, it is quick once you make the spice-mix and store it. After that, its just 10 mins.

I made a big pot of lentil soup yesterday, not quite the same of the OP's though.

Fry some onion and garlic in olive oil, add about 300g red lentils and mix it up. Then add 600 ml of boiling water, a can of chopped tomatoes and 2 bay leaves. Bring it to the boil, then simmer for about 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, mixed herbs, or whatever you fancy.

I made a big pot of this and have frozen it in individual portions.

I love soup.

I love lentils too and just made a pot of yummy lentil soup.

The easiest thing ever:

ingredients:

potato

different type of lentils

carrot

garlic

chili (fresh or dried)

curry powder

nutmeg

salt and pepper

cream, if you like

Roast garlic, curry powder and chili, add carrot, potato, lentils and some water.

Cook until soft, liquidize.

Season to your liking. To get a creamier soup, add a dash of cream.

What a great idea!!

Don't have time to post a recipe but I'll be back with my great grandmother's Abondigas Soup (famous Mexican meatball soup). Stay tuned :)

tomato and basil soup:

fry up a diced onion in some olive oil, chuck in 2 tins of plum tomatoes, bring to the boil, add a handful of ripped basil leaves, and loads of black pepper.

zap in the blender until smooth, add a bit of cream too if you want.

serve with warm crusty bread and a big glass of plonk.

Murgh Shorba - Mughlai Chicken Soup - from the Royal kitchens of northern India

1. 500 g bony chicken without skin

2. Butter

3. White pepper

4. Cumin seeds

5. Garlic pods

6. Salt

7. Flour (405 Mehl would do)

8. Chilli powder if desired - usually not used.

9. Cream

Boil the chicken with 1,5 litres of water, salt and chopped garlic until the water has reduced to 2/3 of its content. Remove the chicken pieces. In a pan, heat some butter and stir fry the chicken with some salt and garlic, and some chilli powder if desired.

In a pot, stir fry cumin seeds till they crackle. Add the flour and fry lightly. Add the stock and adjust thickness according to your liking. Add white pepper and the chicken and boil some more. Top off with cream and serve!

I'll dig out my tomato-banana soup recipy tomorrow. I know it sounds funny at first but even the most sceptical persons have licked their plated clean after having spooned in the soup... My cooking book said that this recipy hails from Ecuador, but strangely enough three people from Ecuador I asked in the past 15 years have never heard of it :-)

Cheerio

As promised my (Great) Grandma Connie's famous Abondigas...

This recipe has never been written and we don't use traditional measurements. Grandma never used measuring cups except for baking. Her hands were her measuring tool as are mine but I will try to give you an idea of amounts as best as I can.

You will need:

3lbs ground beef**

5 large tomatoes

10 large cloves of garlic

2 bunches of green onions

2 large white onions

2 large bunches of cilantro

20+ large leaves of fresh mint

1 cup dried oregano

4-5 cups of dried white bread

3 tablespoons of lard***

Salt to taste (sorry but I can’t give a measurement for this, I just taste and add)

**you can substitute with any ground meat

***substitute with coconut oil, sunflower or olive if you like

Note: We always cook for a big family so you may want to cut this recipe in half.

First soak the bread in warm water to soften. Then finely chop all the veggies and herbs except tomatoes those should be little cubes. After chopping set aside ⅓ of everything, this will be used in the stock (except meat and bread). Then in a large stock pot heat oil until it ripples then throw in the ⅓ portion of garlic until lightly brown then quickly add the white onion and saute until soft, then throw in the ⅓ portion of tomatoes, season with salt and let it fry and integrate with the garlic and onions. When you see the tomatoes are mush fill ⅔ of pot with hot water, season water with salt to taste and turn high to bring to boil.

While waiting for water to boil....put ground meat into large bowl, squeeze out any excess water from bread and mush with fingers and squish the big clumps (little ones are ok), then add to the ground meat (note: do not add more than ⅓ the volume of bread to meat otherwise you will get a foggy soup) mix it real well. Add the remaining ingredients, adding dried oregano last. When adding oregano put it in your palms and rub hands together to grind and add to meat. Mush meat together adding salt to taste. By this time your water should be boiling, one by one quickly roll in your hands medium sized meatballs and add them to the boiling stock. After adding all the meatballs the stock should have stopped boiling and most balls are at the bottom, now you bring it back to a boil (watch closely because you don’t want your balls to break). As soon as it comes to a boil turn down the heat to low and cover with a lid for 10 minutes. Then check on it, if your balls are floating they are done. Skim off all the fat then carefully stir in the remaining ingredients set aside for the stock which should be green onions, cilantro, mint and oregano. Cover again on low for another 5min, turn off heat and let steep for another 10 mins, then serve. The meatballs will be slightly firm but delicate and the broth will fill your house with an unbelievable aroma. I hope you all enjoy this dear recipe as much as my family does.

P.S. My kids love to squeeze lime into the broth, and Dad likes to add crushed chilepina's but I think they over power the delicate taste. Try it both ways and see how you like it.

I realized I was vague about white bread, so I meant rolls or something like Italian or French bread.

This is quick and easy and delicious Italian Veggie soup

Brown a pound of ground beef with 1/2 chopped onion

Add 2 large cans stewed tomatoes or Italian stewed with garlic

1 bag frozen veggies (any mix you like)

1 tspoon oregano

1 or 2 cups broad noodles

4 cps water or more

5 bouillon cubes or more to taste

Simmer till the noodles are done, about 15 minutes.

Here's a variation on bad doggies excellent Broccolli soup, still pretty darn easy (20 minutes tops go to woah) and it's had its trial by fire on demanding guests and I personally guarantee that it is sure to pass the grumpiest mother-in-law test

Nosferatu's Broccolli and Blue Cheese soup:

sweat the white leg of a finely chopped young leek over a low heat, slowly and patiently in a drizzle of olive oil. I like to get just a wee bit of carmalisation but transluscent is also nice if you are in a hurry

steam one large head of broccolli (coarsely chopped) until just tender and still bright, keep the water if you have no stock

grind a decent toss of cumin seed (cant really overdo cumin with broccolli, Ive tried, mmm smell that when you grind it)

Combine the cooked broccolli and leek in a blender with the ground cumin, about 100gms or a decent knob of creamy blue AND the same amount of philadelphia with a half cup of vegetable stock or cooking water. Blend to the consistency you like, add more stock as required. I like it just a bit chunky myself, but smoooth and civilised is only thirty seconds longer

gently reheat without bringing to the boil, serve with something crusty and golden, sprinkle the bowls with a little finely chopped spring onion and a grind of fresh black pepper to taste. careful with the salt because the cheeses tend to salty, and shop bought stock is ALWAYS super salty, taste first and then salt.

Yumm yummmmm...now Im all hungry, excuse me...is soup at nearly 4 Am considered eccentric in Germany?

Broccoli and blue cheese is always a good combination. Another thing that works well, especially as stilton is now easier to find here, is a celery and stilton soup.

A thick, pureed soup, so super easy. Thing is, get really light celery stalks if you can - the greener ones they often sell here are a bit too fibrous, and bitter.

Anyway, basically you just soften up a chopped onion in butter, add a whole pack of chopped celery stalks, a chopped floury potato, and enough veg stock, or white chicken stock, to make generously cover. Cook for 45 mins on low, blitz, add a decent knob of butter, stir through, season, and then add some stilton. Here is the good bit though; semi-freeze your stilton and you'll be able to grate it. Brilliant. Much better flavour distibution.

You can also whack of thyme into the soup whilst cooking, but only a couple of sprigs please, or it is too much - oh, and remove it before blitzing.

My Dal Makhani is simmering right now on the stove, so thought I'd post the recipe of the King of lentil soups from India. It is a rich, creamy, whole bodied lentil soup from the Punjab. Traditionally, the lentils and beans are cooked for 6-12 hours in a giant pot on a coal fire...but I'll post the quicker recipe here.

You need -

100 g of black lentils - Whole Black Urad

30 grams of canned red kidney beans

Cooking cream (schlagsahne)

Milk

Salted butter (ah well, even unsalted german butter will do...)

1 pod of garlic, 1" piece of ginger, 1 whole black cardamom, 2 dried red chillies, 1 petal of star-anise - for boiling

2 tbsp coriander powder

1 tbsp cumin powder

1 tsp garam masala

1 tsp dried mango powder

1 tsp pomegranate powder (optional)

1 tbsp - crushed mace, black cardamom mixture

2 tbsp ginger garlic paste

2 big onions chopped

3 big tomatoes pureed thick

2 tsp chilli powder

1 pinch of asafoetida

1 tsp kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves)

A sprig of coriander leaves chopped for garnishing

2 green chillies

2-3 tbsp mustard oil

1. Soak the black lentils overnight in warm water

2. In a pressure cooker, add the soaked lentils, the kidney beans, the "for boiling" ingredients, some salt and cook for 20 mins till the black lentils break and you can see the whites. Alternatively, fire up your oven to 250°C and cook the lentils in a tight-lidded pot. Or if you're feeling adventurous, fire up your barbecue and cook your lentils all night long! Make sure you do put some coals on the top of the lid too.

3. Meanwhile, chop your onions fine. You could chop 2 small green chillies if you wish.

4. In a pot, heat the mustard oil. When sufficiently hot, add the garam masala and saute lightly. Add the onions and fry till they are 60% golden brown. At this stage, add the ginger garlic paste and the green chillies. Fry till the raw smell of the garlic goes away and the onions turn golden brown. Add a pinch of salt to soften the onions. Add a pinch of asafoetida.

5. Add the tomato puree. Stir in the chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, dried mango powder and the mace-black cardamom mixture and salt and fry till you see fat leaking out of the tomatoes.

6. Add 2-3 tbsp of cooking cream and stir constantly till the pureed spices and the cream homogenise to a deep orangish-brown colour.

7. Add a knob of butter and saute till the butter melts and some more.

8. Add in the lentils (make sure you've taken out the whole pieces of ginger, garlic, the cardamom and the anise petal)

9. Add cream and milk according to desired thickness

10. Adjust for salt.

11. Simmer for 30-45 mins till the dish turns thick and a deep brown colour.

12. Add the fenugreek and fresh coriander and boil quick for 2-3 mins.

13. Decorate with spirals of cream and a blob of butter and serve with cumin-onion fried rice or naan/rotis.

Tips -

1. You also know that the lentils are done when the fluid acquires a shimmering brownish to copper colour which is not clear but muddy

2. The onions should be chopped very fine. You must not come across pieces of onion when you eat the soup. That's why it should be fried to a golden brown and then softened with the salt. Alternatively, if you're unsure, just use pureed onions instead of chopped ones.

3. The signature spices of this dish are in order of importance - dried mango, mace, anise, black cardamom. Be liberal, but make sure it doesn't turn too sour due to the dried mango. You might also want to be conservative with the mace and black cardamom. If you're unsure, just by a pack of MDH Dal Makhani Masala and you don't need any of these raw spices. Skip all and just add 4-5 tbsp of the powder.

4. Anything you want to fry will not be fried after the onions turn golden brown. Therefore the order is important.

Enjoy!

Frohe Ostern!

A super quick tomato soup that is comparable to Heinz?

Get half an onion, chop finely. Chuck a knob of butter into a medium hot pan and soften the onions off. Add 1 tin of chopped tomatoes, 400ml of light chicken stock, simmer for 20 minutes, blitz in a processor, add a good glug of double cream or creme fraiche, season with salt and WHITE pepper (unless you don't care about little black specks in your soup)

Done.