How to bring ashes of deceased from Germany to UK

14 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and hope someone may have some useful tips for me, wasn't sure which is the best topic to post this under - my mother is dying of cancer and anxious that we can sort out what happens to her ashes after her cremation.

She lives in Germany but I have lived in the UK for many years. As she has no other relatives she would like me to bring her ashes here to be scattered or buried in a forest near where I live. I gather that one cannot get hold of a deceased person's ashes in Germany, is the only way for me to go via the Netherlands crematorium route? I came across the following here in a post from 2007:

"When my dad died, we took the urn over to the UK by plane in our hand luggage(!). It is really no problem whatsoever. You get a certificate which you can show at the airport, end of (they didn't even want to see it, but it might be advisable to tell staff when you are checking in and also when you go through security - doesn't happen every day). Don't let people fob you off, it is allowed and absolutely no problem. You are not allowed to scatter the ashes in Germany, but you are allowed to bring them to another country yourself."

Is this indeed possible and how can this be done?

Any help much appreciated.

If you want to scatter you can have the ashes sent to an address outside of Germany and scatter there. Or have the serial number removed from the urn so no one can tell that the ashes originated in Germany, re-import them and scatter sureptitiously. But there's no way around the costs, app. €2000 according to the info from the Städtischer Bestattungsdienst in Munich.

Get in touch with a funeral home now to make any necessary arrangements, ask for any information they may be able to give you.

I'm sending some strength along with this advice.

EDIT: I know that the Munich Städtischer Bestattungsdienst offers this service as they sent Scogs' ashes to somewhere in England where they are now standing around unregarded instead of scattered in the Glen in Tillicoultry where they belong.

Private ownership or spreading of ashes is illegal in Germany where the Church has an ironclad monopoly on such things. There are services available in Spain and the Netherlands where the body, after cremation, is mailed to a certain adddress in those countries and the company then mails them to you. You would need to contact such a company beforehand and also contact a German funeral home who agrees to ship the ashes to a Spanish or Dutch funeral home.

http://www.postmortal.de/Bestattung-Beisetzung/Alternativen/Umweg/Umweg-NL/umweg-nl.html

http://www.urne-bestattung-privat.com/totenasche-daheim.html

for example

Could anybody provide an update or share personal experience of this sad process please ?

My Beloved is heartbreakenly coming to the end of a long battle with cancer. Though we have immensely enjoyed our time together in Germany  ( we've lived here over nine years ) , it is my wife's wish that her ashes be scattered on the moors she loved in the Derbyshire Peak District. When the time comes, how do i get her cremated remains from Germany to England ? 

Any helpful suggestions gratefully welcomed.

Sorry, It depends on which federal state you live.

https://www.angloinfo.com/how-to/germany/healthcare/death-dying

quote:  Gesetzestexte zum Nachlesen

Jedes deutsche Bundesland hat eigene Gesetze zur Bestattungen erlassen. Daher unterscheidet sich die Handhabung der Bestattung von Land zu Land. Wer sich genauer über die einzelnen Gesetze informieren möchte, findet unter folgenden Links umfangreiche Informationen zu den Bestattungsgesetzen der verschiedenen Bundesländer.

source: https://www.bestattungsplanung.de/bestattung/bestattungsgesetze.html

Brandenburg:

http://bravors.brandenburg.de/de/gesetze-212630

Sorry about your wife.

I have heard that you can get permission to take the ashes with you on a plane.  I know a guy who did this for a friend to bring his ashes to his family in another country.  However, I don't know where you can apply for that.  Possibly the town where you live.  An undertaker might know.

23 hours ago, Peregrine said:

I think the only relevant bit for me there is  section 25

"Bei einer Feuerbestattung ist die Urne mit der Asche auf einem Friedhof oder in geeigneter Form in einer Kirche beizusetzen. Die Asche kann auch auf einer hierfür bestimmten Stelle eines Friedhofes verstreut werden. Auf Wunsch des Verstorbenen darf außerdem die Urne von einem Schiff aus auf Hoher See beigesetzt werden, wenn andere Rechtsvorschriften nicht entgegenstehen. Sonstige Beisetzungen außerhalb von Friedhöfen kann die örtliche Ordnungsbehörde im Einzelfall im Einvernehmen mit der unteren Gesundheitsbehörde zulassen, wenn ein wichtiger Grund vorliegt und öffentliche Belange nicht entgegenstehen."

This seems to be saying that cremated remains can only be buried  (or scattered) in a cemetery or placed inside a church in an appropriate receptacle,  or in an urn cast on the high sea. i cant see anywhere anything about removal of the ashes to another country.

According to this website it is possible:  http://beerdigung-im-ausland.de/

Immer häufiger wünschen sich ausländische Mitbürger trotz langjähriger Abwesenheit vom Heimatland die Rückkehr im Todesfall und die Bestattung in der lang ersehnten Heimaterde.

Das Leben hat sie nach Deutschland geführt und im Tod sehnen sie sich nach der Rückkehr in die Heimat.

Überführung des Körpers oder der Asche des Verstorbenen

Abhängig von der Religionszugehörigkeit, der Glaubensauffassung und der persönlichen Wünsche des Verstorbenen und seiner Familie ist sowohl die Überführung des Sarges als auch der Urne möglich. In der Regel ist die Überführung der Urne erheblich preisgünstiger, da die Urne durch einen sogenannten Urnenpass selbst von der Familie im Handgepäck im Flugzeug oder dem Auto transportiert werden darf oder mit einem versicherten Postversand ins Ausland verschickt werden kann.

So it might be a good idea to get in touch with them.

Yes, in many cases the German funeral home will ship the urn to the Netherlands or Switzerland, and you can pick up the urn there and take it to the UK. However, please ask them ASAP!

This from the British Consulate in Berlin :

"With regards to your question about scattering ashes in the UK we would recommend that you contact an international funeral service here in Germany for more detailed advice. The local law states that human remains have to be buried and cannot be handed over to the next of kin even for the purpose of taking them to another country where this law does not apply. It is nearly impossible to have the ashes released from the crematorium without involving a funeral director. We have a list of English-speaking funeral directors available for you on our website on which you can find a few options for Berlin."

7 minutes ago, Serenissima said:

This from the British Consulate in Berlin :

"With regards to your question about scattering ashes in the UK we would recommend that you contact an international funeral service here in Germany for more detailed advice. The local law states that human remains have to be buried and cannot be handed over to the next of kin even for the purpose of taking them to another country where this law does not apply. It is nearly impossible to have the ashes released from the crematorium without involving a funeral director. We have a list of English-speaking funeral directors available for you on our website on which you can find a few options for Berlin."

I hope you can work out how to follow your loved one's wishes. Take comfort together during these sad days.