Changing Tax ID numbers (Steuernummer)

10 posts in this topic

Hello TTers,

I've searched the forum for this topic and could not find it. It may exist somewhere on TT, but if it does it's buried somewhere.

I previously lived in Berlin (left in January 2010) as a freelance English teacher. I paid taxes in Berlin as a freelancer and I have a tax number (Steuernummer) from the Finanzamt in Berlin.

I returned to the U.S. in January 2010 for a year before I returned to Germany. I am now in Leipzig and have an Arbeitsvertrag with a German company. I just submitted my pile of paperwork to the Aüslanderbehörde and should hear back about my new residence permit in the next 2-3 weeks, however I'm confused about the Steuernummer.

I know that I have to get a Lohnsteuerkarte after I receive the residence permit, but do I need to also go to the Finanzamt and get a new tax ID number or will my old one still work? If I do need a new one, what happens to my old Steuernummer?

Any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Kyle

I know that I have to get a Lohnsteuerkarte after I receive the residence permit, but do I need to also go to the Finanzamt and get a new tax ID number or will my old one still work? If I do need a new one, what happens to my old Steuernummer?

Steuernummern (= tax numbers) are locally allocated by each Finanzamt. Since you moved to a different city, you will get a new Steuernummer.

For example, a tax number for somebody living in Dresden would look like this: 201/123/12340, where 201 indicates the "Finanzamt Dresden I".

The Steuer-Identifikationsnummer on the other hand stays the same all your life.

The ID number has 11 digits, e.g. 12304567896, without any slashes dividing the number

Hi,

I need to write an invoice for the first time in Germany and, am confused with the Steuernummern and the Steuer-Identifikationsnummer still...

So, on the invoice, it needs to be the steuernummer, and not the ID nummer? When then do we use the ID nummer?

And, is the steuernummer something you need to go to Finanzamt personally in order to get?

Thanks.

Use your Steuernummer only. This is your tax reference for the local tax office and can change if you move tax offices. You get this number when you first register at the tax office (for a both employee or self-employed - the number is the same)

The Steuer-Identificationsnummer is a lifelong personal identifier which every German resident (including children) has/should have. Ultimately it will replace the Steuernummer, but they are not there yet.

Don't confuse either of these with the USt-ID Nummer (Umsatzsteueridentifikationsnummer), this is your (international) tax ID for VAT - you can optionally apply for this if you are (optionally) registered for VAT in Germany and would need it for international trade. If you have one of these you can use it on an invoice instead of (or as well as) your Steuernummer which is a national number only.

I have received a new Steuernummer from a new Finanzamt.

Is it possible to modify the steuernummer in my ElsterOnline Profil online without problem?

I am afraid of accidentally invalidating the entire Profil or Konto for ElsterOnline.

Any replies gratefully received.

I pretty much have the same question. I had worked in Munich for almost 2 years. During this period I had a TaxID (Persönliche Identifikationnummer), Social security number and health insurance. Its been almost 10 months since I deregistered from Munich and returned back to India. Now I have a job offer from another company in Munich itself and they have asked me to share all the above 3 details. Can I share my previous TaxID, SocialSec Number and Health Insurance details to my new employer?

Many thanks in advance!

I am not an expert.

However I see no harm in providing the previous details to the new employer.

In my case I changed Finanzamt and they issued a new taxid (possible due to an initial lack of communication between the 2 Finanzamts).

However normally  the taxid should remain the same for a lifetime. Certainly if you return  to Munich then the taxid may still exist

and can be used again on your return. 

Regarding social/health insurance I would assume that the insurance becomes invalld at some time  following your departure. However I guess the details may still exist although the validity of the details is another matter.

On 18/07/2017, 16:45:02, scmmunich said:

I pretty much have the same question. I had worked in Munich for almost 2 years. During this period I had a TaxID (Persönliche Identifikationnummer), Social security number and health insurance. Its been almost 10 months since I deregistered from Munich and returned back to India. Now I have a job offer from another company in Munich itself and they have asked me to share all the above 3 details. Can I share my previous TaxID, SocialSec Number and Health Insurance details to my new employer?

Yes, they will all stay the same.