Of gardening, neighbours and large trees

77 posts in this topic

No we didn't go down that sorry route. We were just disgusted and left her to admire her artwork.

Still waiting for the reply if the tree was there first or you?

Some friends of mine had similiar problems with light and huge roots- they were able to sort these out together with their neighbours in an affable way, contacting the relevant authorities and then professional tree surgeons- rather expensive, but they shared the costs. Common sense I guess.

Sometimes, I just wonder why on earth people don't look at the property closely that they buy before and the neighbourhood too.

Reminds me a bit of city folks moving to the country and complaining about insects :o ,cocks crowing, loud cows and the smell of manure...

As Mlovett had already said- German states issue guidelines on when to cut hedges or meddle around (to protect breeding and young birds).

(Luckily). (March-August)

If people are that afraid of insects or weeds, I would advise such people to buy property with no nearby gardens, pour a cement base all around your property and paint it green. No perils of dangerous insects, or lethal weeds etc.

@featherlight, words fail me, I really admire your calm behaviour and conduct, I probably would have made (very negative) headlines.

Here is how I understand it as a property owner.

If the tree abuts your property and overhangs then technically (at least in Bavaria this part of the tree is yours. Even if there are fruit like plums. I used to have my neighbour suddenly march into my garden to collect six plums which had fallen off "his" tree in autumn. I could have been an arse and said no those are mine, but I said nothing.

he also has an "Eibe" hedge between us which he trims on his side every late summer. He also marched in when he wants and cuts the other side, i.e., our garden side, and takes his trimmings away.

There are two ugly posts on our side which we've covered up with elder bushes. The stem of this bush is about a foot into my property, and the bush was only a metre and a half high or so, not I emphasise anywhere overhanging his property.

Last summer I returned from holidays and after a couple of days had a double take. he had cut the whole elder bush down to a mere stump in my own garden.

Now then - in your case - if you took on the property after the owner then in a way I think the moral authority rests in favour of the person there first. The person purchasing the property buys it "as is" with surrounding issues.

A person can do what they want to their own property, it is not for neighbours to tell them unless they are erecting buildings or somesuch. So I unfortunately do not think you can do much about the situation.

Edit: I just see that Lakey put it far better than me:

Sometimes, I just wonder why on earth people don't look at the property closely that they buy before and the neighbourhood too.

She probably thought she had forced our hand by committing arboreal massacre on half the tree and that we would then HAVE to have the rest of it cut down and neaten up the mess she made. Unfortunately she was disappointed on that score... we were not that calm though - of course there were cross words. And then a decade of silence and scowling at each other over the wire fence. That eventually turned into a 2 meter high wooden fence erected by them resulting in our vegetable patch being completely deprived of sunlight. So she got her revenge too. So then I changed the position of our (vast and sometimes malodorous) compost heap to be near her side... which she appreciated.

So you can see how things escalate. The neighbours the other side were also just great. Noise issues. After exhausting all reasonable avenues I eventually dealt with that by buying a flugelhorn and practising diligently every day (except Sundays of course)...

Finally we moved.

I think Rule One is never ever fall out with your neighbours whatever. Keep the peace at all costs.

I've got it somehow in my head that trees wihin 2 metres of the boundary have to be kept down to a certain height limit, but maybe that's just in Lower Saxony.

I've got a very beautiful Indian Bean tree which hangs over our neighbour's driveway. I lop off the branches, but they then grow even more luxuriently. I've seen him cut off twigs and throw them over our hedge. He also asked my husband if we would have it removed, and my husband said that I would throw a fit at the suggestion. I them stopped sweeping up on his driveway, which I had half-heartedly done before. Recently he and his wife have started acoosting me on the street again, and tellin me about their health problems, so perhaps all is forgiven.

Even though he chopped my elder I said nothing. The thing is growing back anyway so I view it as a radical pruning job. Just don't be too familiar with neighbours, keep yourself to yourself and things usually are fine, even though some neighbours get on your nerves.

One pet hate of ours is smoking. Of course it is allowed outdoors but if you have a sense of smell like mine (my other senses are crap) then it does grate but you have to just put up with it.

I often find fag ends on my driveway.

Keeping trees down to 2 meters height when they are within 2 meters of the neighbours' patch does not apply if the tree has been over 2 meters high for more than 5 years already. That is called Verjährung in German. If you plant a tree within 2 meters of your neighbour, the neighbour has to actively ask you to keep the height down to 2 meters. If they raise no objection after 5 years of growth that is too bad for them (or you, if you happen to be the neighbour and they planted the tree). So a 50 year old tree that is the size of the house already cannot be cut back to 2 meters. It has the right to be there.

...refuses then you are entitled to remove them yourself (at your own cost at your neighbour's cost)....

But how does the rule apply to trees which do not overhang and are well within the neighbour's property? I would imagine they can do jack.

Säumiger however, would mean not at your own cost.

Cross posted- sorry!

But how does the rule apply to trees which do not overhang and are well within the neighbour's property? I would imagine they can do jack.

I imagine they are (legally) none of your* business.

*not you Jeremy, any affected neighbour I meant!

If the neighbor tree is affecting your access to sunlight in an unacceptable way then it is your business. A friend of mine had to go through that situation, the tree was in his property that was rented out and the tenant refused to cut/trim the tree. They lost the case and my friend had to assume a bunch of costs.

Again, I question why you bought the house when there was a giant tree blocking all light...

This sort of thing always has me wondering too.

Kind of like the people who buy a house near an airport which is cheaper then moan about the noise from the airport.

It must be spring in Germany.And it never fails.Dogs,cats,trees and kids become a nuisance then.it never fails either that lovers and haters of same live side by side or even in the same family.The most sensible thing to do then is:gnash your teeth,smile and hope a storm or some other natural catastrophe does the cleaning up for you.As for trees, they have the nasty habit of growing just like dogs and are so cute when little but can be quite ugly (and to close together) and some elimination of one kind or another is necessary.I have planted many trees and had to cut them again unfortunately.But that happens when you live to long, particular at the same place.

As for hazelnut trees I have never seen any of them here in Canada nor in Baveria where I grew up , only hazel nut bushes and they are hard to get rid of no matter how low you trim them.3 years ago my neighbor complained about 5 spruce trees of mine I had planted with the consent of the then neighbor, Neighbors changed and so did my trees. So I was glad when my new neighbor asked me to remove the trees and when he volunteered to do the work the problem was solved.He and I got more light, our eavestroughs no needles.and our wood stove cheap fire wood, only the birds had to look for a new resting place.

I often find fag ends on my driveway.

Well, consider yourself lucky. A work colleague of mine is on the bottom floor of an apartment building (only 3 levels) and the neighbors upstairs keep throwing their butts off the balcony onto his terrace...how annoying is that?

I consider myself EXTREMELY lucky with the neighbors to the north - they are just like us - both work full time and we help them and they help us whenever the other needs it. No complaints about trees, etc - we see eye to eye on everything. The other neighbor, I said, is non-existant - he lives in Sweden. Our only complaint is that the lot is overgrown...however, the alternative would be endless contruction, cars coming and going until one day, we end up with a DHH on the property with all these new noisy people.

It's that time of year alright.

Nachbarkrieg!

Naaaachbaaaaarkriiiiieeeegggg!!!

Tonight we dine in Heeeeeellll!!!

Seems like the neighbors waited until they saw we were on vacation and have sawed off a major limb from my tree which was growing over their side. It's about 30 ft long and maybe seven inches circumference so it's a pretty big chunk. They threw it over on my side.

So what's the latest word, two years into the war?

DanHessen and his neighbours are not speaking to each other, certainly.

Oh yeah, we had the a bush in our front garden poisoned with petrol. Died in the space of days and we had no proof. So I guess they stupidly thought we would never know it was them. Same as we didn't know who threw egg on our windows or squirted tomato juice on our walls or reported us to the social services when my daughter got to screaming a lot or vandalised our postbox. Really hard to work out who that could have been.

Be glad it's only cigarette butts Jeremy. I used to have to remove somewhat more organic stuff from my front garden.

Should this thread be retitled Neighbours from Hell?