Of gardening, neighbours and large trees

77 posts in this topic

I would like to know if there is a regulation or law about residential housing, garden upkeep, large trees and pruning/maintenance etc.. As much as I love woodland and wildlife, I think in residential areas and especially in ones garden perhaps somethings are unreasonable. Particularly, if they are affecting the quality of life of of others. For example, my neighbor has lost of large trees, therefore my garden is never been able to get day light properly and plus they never clean and tidy (do the gardening) in their garden, never prun etc. Some of the weeds come to my garden as a result. (We are both home owners.)

What are your thoughts on that? What is the best way to approach this?

Go and offer to Tidy their garden for them...

Win Win if you ask me!

Weeds will arrive in your garden, regardless of the neighbor. They are a part of life.

As to the trees, I believe Germany has laws that you can't just cut them down (good news for birds' nests!). Not sure about pruning, however, my [common sense] guess is that you only have a say in the matter if the branches are actually on your property. Weren't these trees already big when you bought your house?...

I love my enormous trees -- they attract lots of birds and other wildlife. Plus, they give me some privacy from nosey neighbors. :)

-nature lover

Phew. I was afraid it was my neighbour posting about our garden.

Oh and true about the trees being a certain size. You need to get permission to cut them down. Our neighbour complained about our tree (it was there before we moved.). I would have been happy to have it cut down, too. We had to have someone from the city come out and have a look. They didn't give us permission.

Instead we got someone to cut off lots of the bottom branches. That should answer the question about pruning.

OK I love trees to but this one is pine tree and no branches on my side to prune but it is so huge that it totally blocks my entire 6 meter by 5 meter back patio light. I mean no plants even live there I only get moss :( As far as their upkeep of their garden, I mean you can not even get in to the garden that is how bad.. and i did offer but they said they like it like that .. and so...

Don't pressure the neighbors to prune in spring! Birds are nesting. Wait until autumn.

thank you

and i did offer but they said they like it like that .. and so...

They are entitled to keep their property as they like it. Again, I question why you bought the house when there was a giant tree blocking all light... ;)

If thats the case, you are stuffed... :huh:

Only if its pest infested could you do something..

Rose, go over and speak to your neighbours about the tree. Maybe even invite them over to have a look to see how it is affecting your garden.

Rose...

Post a picture of their garden, then we can all share your dissatisfaction..

as i said i did offer help but they said they like it like that... they now the situation we are in good liaisons really but they will not do nada basically

oh well just have to get to love my moss :(

Mlovett, our guy would only lop the branches in autumn. I don't think any layperson could do it. Jeepers he was hanging off that tree like a monkey with a chain saw. Fookin' scared the daylights out of me.

I might put up the photos ...

Orla, yes, post photos! I love this kind of stuff. I think I might have been an arborist in another lifetime. B)

Rose, I agree that you should approach the neighbors with sugar rather than sour. Talk to them about pruning some lower branches to let some sun in (and be prepared to pay the bill?). Meanwhile, start Googling shade plants. I have lots of pretty ones, that even flower!

I find it hard to believe that one tree can shade your property ALL day -- the sun moves, right? ;)

My neighbors get nervous whenever they see me plant trees... mainly due to the potential of blocking their views.

Phew. I was afraid it was my neighbour posting about our garden.

I had the same thought Orla.

I have a row of pine trees in the back garden and hadn't realised how high they've grown until I saw an old video of when the children were small, I was shocked. I don't do too much in the garden, apart from tidy up a bit and cut the grass. It's not that I don't want to, it's a time problem.

I suggest you talk to your neighbours again and say that you would like to grow some plants, but the lack of sunshine is a problem, they may not realise that it's their trees that's blocking it.

I once lived with a German family who had an issue with a giant tree in their neighbor's yard... I guess the needles from the tree were clogging up the filters in their pool. They cut off all the branches of the tree that were in their yard, but that didn't aid the situation. After many fights with the neighbor about the tree they took measures into their own hands... they started to cut all the roots of the tree that were on their property hoping that the tree would die. This a few years ago... and as far as I know... they are still trying to kill the tree.

Bottom line, never fight with a giant tree... it will always win.

We sort of have the same problem. In our case, the neighbors on one side are absentee...it's a camp and the owner lives in Sweden. His parents used it in summer until they went into a nursing home. It's sad because his parents took great care of it (mowed the grass, cut the trees, etc). Now it is a completely overgrown lot (invitation to burglars). End result...lots of trees sprouting up on the other side of the fence...which brings more flying insects, etc.

Cutting the trees down is one (not recommended solution). Cutting them back is necessary. Last summer, I was working in the yard and a big branch (from this neighbor's tree) came down on our property. Good thing I was standing under it.

Eventually, I will try to contact the son to get him to do some maintenance on the trees because that is just dangerous.

We had a similar case where the neighbor just went and sawed off an overhanging branch.

If the usability of your property is negatively influenced by the neighbor's tree you may request him to prune it. I would ask City Hall (in Munich it's the Untere Naturschutzbehörde) to come by and take a look for themselves; this should be free of cost but ask first. If they say that the tree will not be damaged by cutting back the branches enough for you to have some sun again the neighbor can't deny the permission.

You will have to weigh your desire for sunshine against your desire to keep good relations with someone who doesn't give a rat's fart about what you want.

Last summer, I was working in the yard and a big branch (from this neighbor's tree) came down on our property. Good thing I was standing under it.

You could break the branch's fall! How nice of you :)

(I know it was a typo, I just found it funny).

Ivo.

We had a hazelnut tree in our garden which was higher than the house when we moved in. Maybe several decades old. After 6 p.m. in high summer it would cast shade on our neighbours' garden (the tree was actually north of their patch). Every year she nagged us to first prune (which we did), then reduce the height of the tree to 2 meters!! We did not comply because the species was protected. You are not allowed to just fell any old tree. It would also have needed a professional tree surgeon to do the job. After some years the neighbours came over the fence with an electric saw and decapitated half the tree. It was actually two lots of six stumps and they hacked off the crown on three stumps. Try to visualise that. We did not touch the tree afterwards because we derived pleasure from knowing that she had to admire her own handiwork every day of the year which was very avant garde if you are being kind and bloody hideous if you are telling it like it really was. They left it damaged so it got infected with fungus and rotted over about a decade and apparently they were very put out that we did not thank them for removing all the branches afterwards, which they very kindly took the trouble to do.

Needless to say the outcome of this was the end of peaceful relations with those neighbours.

I hope the OP can learn from this.

Every year she nagged us to first prune (which we did), then reduce the height of the tree to 2 meters!! We did not comply because the species was protected. You are not allowed to just fell any old tree. (...) After some years the neighbours got so impatient they came over the fence with an electric saw and decapitated half the tree. (...) They left it damaged so it got infected with fungus and rotted over about a decade.

Needless to say the outcome of this was the end of peaceful relations with those neighbours.

I hope the OP can learn from this.

I hope you reported the neighbours to the relevant authorities :(

Ivo.