Halal slaughter to be abolished in Netherlands

52 posts in this topic

Yeah well if chickens are all of a sudden "someone" then so are lentils... rolleyes.gif

Also, "good alternative for meat for carbs" - seriously? At least some vegan nutters pretend to do their homework.

Well,, Yes. Chickens won't really qualify for being 'someone' - Here I meant another life that can feel pain and wants to live (Now you will argue with me with a reference to some bio-research that plants feel the pain and wants to live rather being cut of).

And regarding the second comment (which I wrote with an anonymous reference), if you don’t agree with it, why don’t you come up with a counter argument (or a thesis would be nice) full of references and proving that the protein/carbs human body needs from Meat can only be obtained from meat? <_<

Meat contains no significant amount of carbohydrates. Therefore you can not get the carbs you dont get from meat from anything.

http://www.ehow.com/...g-no-carbs.html

Fresh fish, such as trout, salmon, sardines and tuna are naturally free of carbohydrate

Chicken, turkey, duck and goose meat generally do not contain carbohydrates.

Generally, red meat is high in protein and does not contain carbohydrates. Beef, pork and lamb are carbohydrate-free selections.

Seriously if you don't eat meat and your primary concern is filling in the carb void that leaves your body I highly suggest you see a nutritionist before you damage yourself.

I don't have an issue with Halal or Kosher methods. Actually I do but if that's the way people want their meat prepared then so be it. What I have an issue with is large scale Halal slaughter and places such a schools, Wembley Stadium and airlines etc serving Halal meat to everyone just to serve a minority of people.

And anyone who believes that Halal or Kosher Methods are no different to 'Normal' methods should watch this video paying particular attention to differences to the animal that is stunned in the first few mins with what comes after.

WARNING: DO NOT WATCH IF YOU ARE EASILY UPSET

The proposal is to ban Halal and Kosher slaughter methods as shown in the google news links I posted, but writing only Halal means more page views.

Indeed it does - and of course such focus being more acceptable in today's society.

TBFB's post being an evident example - not having an issue with Halal or Kosher, but then again only a problem with 'large scale Halal slaughter.' And yes, they also have a 'Kosher' option on airlines, in schools etc. Interesting bias considering halal arrived on the scene thousands of years later and is an offshoot of kosher, philosophically and in methodology.

I read somewhere that lentil are a good alternative for meat for carbs.

You have protein and carbohydrates confused. I don't know about others but one vegan I knew had to suppliment his diet with a veriety of soy derivatives to meat his protein and vitamin needs.

I think the actual worry about dropping meat from the diet is essential amino acids. A very easy source of all the essential amino acids is from the protein in meat. It is also possible to get all your essential amino acids on a purely vegetarian diet, but you have to eat things such as lentils to make sure you cover all your essential amino acids, of which lentils are a fantastic source of. Just as a small aside, proteins are long chains built up of individual amino acids. Carbohydrates are long chains built up of individual sugar molecules, and are usual found in grains and their derivatives.

Actually the kosher slaughtering will be forbidden with this law as well. And yes, the jewish community is playing the anti-semitism card...

http://www.powned.tv/nieuws/politiek/2011/04/kosjert.html

It's a small step in the right direction. Things don't change overnight.

But why, oh, why do so many threads about meat end up (to put it very nicely)discussing vegetarianism?

Or just ban all meat products. Taking someone's life to feed ourselves just sounds very cruel. I read somewhere that lentil are a good alternative for meat for carbs.

Someone? We are not talking about cannibalism here, right?

Plants (and Fungi) are alive as well. I guess in many cases you can "harvest" parts of the plants without killing it (fruits from trees being a good example).

I just had a curious thought: the vegetarians that object meat because the animals are killed typically consume eggs and milk. I wonder if they would not mind eating stuff like starfish bits or lizard's tails as they are able to regenerate them.

I'm guessing they would mind, so I think the objection is not at the point of killing the animal.

As I had pointed out and Don later suggested, the slaughter is only the last part of it. I'm personally more concerned with other factory farming methods that last longer and altogether are bound to provide more suffering to the animal in question.

Ivo.

Some religions like the Jains in India only eat certain veg. They avoid root veg as they hate the violence involved in pulling them from the ground.

Sociopath.

Was that a Morrisey lyric? If so, consider me chastised then. Wasn't very friendly of me. Apols.

Depends on how strict the Jains are... the hardcore ones (not as much anymore) wouldnt even drink filtered water which is hardly something to be advocated.

Fairly sure most eat dairy though..

The fact that Halal will not allow the creation of the Pork Cupcake is reason enough for it to be banned, incidentally:

http://www.urbandaddy.com/dc/food/12887/Pork_Cupcake_Introducing_the_Pork_Cupcake_DC_DC_Georgetown_Restaurant

(In fact, any religion or personal ideology which forbids the consumption of pulled pork in any manner should be grounds for commitment to a mental institution for a rigorous treatment of Electroconvulsive therapy)

Was that a Morrisey lyric? If so, consider me chastised then. Wasn't very friendly of me. Apols.

I'm on your side Jeremy. Morrissey is a bit of a socipath--for not reuniting The Smiths despite the probable willingness of the other members.

They avoid root veg as they hate the violence involved in pulling them from the ground.

Additionally, it's because there is a major chance of affecting (worst case: killing) small organisms such as insects, that live and grow inside the soil.

Depends on how strict the Jains are... the hardcore ones (not as much anymore) wouldnt even drink filtered water which is hardly something to be advocated.

Some of the "hardcore" ones (such as Jain saints) do drink 'filtered' water. Not by using modern UV or RO filters, but by means of a special fine cloth. Add a decent exposure of (strong) sunlight to that, and what you get is drinkable water that no longer poses a serious hazard.