Questions you have been afraid to ask... in case you look stupid

2,695 posts in this topic

Yay kato, now put that in words a 3 year old wants to hear. f_f, I'd give some specific examples. Like, a butterfly has a proboscis [like a straw] to sip nectar, and its taste buds are on its feet! Show pictures. Kids are visual, especially boys, who don't tend to be the best listeners. ;)

Invest in some science books for kids. We like the "I Wonder Why..." series, and have nearly all the books. There are also plenty of science for kids websites.

Yay kato, now put that in words a 3 year old wants to hear.

Eh, simple: "Yes. Their mouths look different though [insert pic] so their tongue looks different too."

Then wait out the 20 seconds that they look at the pic until their attention span runs out for the topic ;)

What is going to happen to me for eating Pesto sauce that went off 3 months ago?

Nothing else in the cupboards, and no energy to go and buy anything else. So it seemed like a good option at the time, now I'm wondering.

What is going to happen to me for eating Pesto sauce that went off 3 months ago?

I'm sorry to convey this, LinsAM, but the last time I did something similar, I couldn't leave the bathroom. :unsure:

By that's just me.

Mind over matter; mind over matter. Don't ponder it.

nothing is going to happen to you; the amount of cheese in a jarred pesto is probably minimal anyway. That said, you can't mind over microbes, but I really doubt there's anything living in a jar of oil and basil. I throw mine away when it's moldy, have never checked the dates and still alive to tell the tale.

Someone was wondering the same thing and got a number of interesting answers.

How does pesto go bad?

The jars I buy say 3 - 4 days in the fridge at the longest, but I've also heard that if the exposed surface is covered with a layer of olive oil it will last longer.

And?? Are you still alive?

I'm alive!! Not feeling too great, but I'm guessing that might be due to the leftover wine as opposed to the Pesto :-)

Now I know though, there is nothing really in it which can cause major harm and if it's heated up anyway then it's good. Now I know the answer the question I have been afraid to ask.

I will go to the shops and buy fresh stuff later I think though, don't want to risk it twice in as many days.

Depends on the insect, some do. Bees for example have a very elaborate tongue with muscles that they can bend together to form a trunk-like structure to suck in stuff; in some other insects the tongue may e.g. directly take the permanent form of a trunk.

It's not the same morphological part as in humans though, but physically in insects the hypopharynx takes this role. In humans the tongue is effectively rooted in the area opposite the hypopharynx, which forms the backside of your throat.

Thanks Kato! Insects were never my thing. :)

Yay kato, now put that in words a 3 year old wants to hear. f_f, I'd give some specific examples. Like, a butterfly has a proboscis [like a straw] to sip nectar, and its taste buds are on its feet! Show pictures. Kids are visual, especially boys, who don't tend to be the best listeners.

Invest in some science books for kids. We like the "I Wonder Why..." series, and have nearly all the books. There are also plenty of science for kids websites.

I have a couple of those books that I've tucked away for him. I thought they would be too old for him now but it looks like I'm gonna have to break them out. *Hmmm, now which place did I leave them?* Oh and great link too, thanks!!

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

Random Questions Random Days

1. If age was a feeling how old are you today?

Why would they say Guten Heute? That translates as Good today. We wouldn't say that in english.

Where do all the chicken thighs go to in Germany. You can buy legs and drumsticks but no thighs - only available if you go to a Turkish supermarket.