Questions you have been afraid to ask... in case you look stupid

2,368 posts in this topic

A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?

~youknowwho~

Is my irrational fear of ticks giving me meningitis, accountable for my visions of dead relatives? I mean, I KNOW that my dead grandfather can't be haunting my girlfriends flat cause... it was built after he died and, I don't think he'd ever even been to Germany. I haven't slept in days... she says they're in the long grass, and I probably wouldn't get bitten if I stay away from the woods but...

...what if they're on my pillow?

Why from all of the dozens of broadcasters here, the weather report is uniformally dumbed down with lame cartoon graphics instead of "real" satellite loops and useful information like barometer, pinpoint doppler, humidity info that the rest of the developed world enjoys? They spend more time and effort on the Astrological forecast here FFS!!

This is not a complaint, I'm curious. Since we don't know which mod thought our joke about merged threads was a complaint, which mod do we send the PM to? Just pick a random one or how do you go about that?

Comment removed by a moderator for breach of our terms.

Edit:

Damn you.

Meta

In other news, 6 hours sleep on a belly full of vodka. Hard. Fuckin'. Core. ;)

ahhhhhhhhhhh, cool! Thanks for that! I have been wondering about that basically since I joined the forum and definitely was afraid to ask for fear of looking stupid!

why you checkin my timestamps Willis

Is there a proper term (not colloquial) in any language for this groove?

post-111177-13120544305986.jpg

Thanks! Never heard of it, seems to be called the same in German.

Do insects have tongues?

(submitted by Jr)

We are now commencing the age where the kid asks questions that Mom has no clue. With my other four this period started around the age of 9.

Jr is 3....woo hoo, he's early!!!. Guess this thread will be my new home. <_<

Depends on the insect, some do. Bees for example have a very elaborate tongue with muscles that they can bend together to form a trunk-like structure to suck in stuff; in some other insects the tongue may e.g. directly take the permanent form of a trunk.

It's not the same morphological part as in humans though, but physically in insects the hypopharynx takes this role. In humans the tongue is effectively rooted in the area opposite the hypopharynx, which forms the backside of your throat.

Blimey, kato. That´s informative! Glad I never went into such detail in my dating days!! Just imagine the scenario.." oh, I want your hypopharynx ( checks the spelling three times )!! Gets his coat....