Questions you have been afraid to ask... in case you look stupid

2,370 posts in this topic

Why do so many Germans (and others in Europe) wear sheer, shiny pantyhose all year long? I've seen it so much this summer, especially with shorts!

I had to giggle at this article about Kate Middleton being the one bring this back into "fashion".

I think it's considered not 'posh'/professional/elegant... enough just to have bare legs.

http://www.knigge.de/themen/kleidung/dresscode-einmaleins-5252.htm

http://www.knigge.de/archiv/ihre-fragen/struempfe---in-der-kirche-12607.htm

Here http://www.knigge-rat.de/themen_kleidung.html it also says this: "Achtung: Im Management und Dienstleistungsberufen sind Feinstrumpfhosen auch bei 30 Grad Pflicht!"

Why do so many Germans (and others in Europe) wear sheer, shiny pantyhose all year long? I've seen it so much this summer, especially with shorts!

Even German women have been known to wear them (in upper management and at +30°C).

Then again Knigge is stuck in the 50s regarding clothing. For women anyway. 70s for men.

I had to giggle at this article about Kate Middleton being the one bring this back into "fashion".

Absolutely. Toadying newspapers have been doing this for years. I remember in the 80s when Princess Anne supposedly invented the term "naff off!" - bollocks.

I understand the professional and more mature women wearing them but I see a lot of younger girls (teens and 20's) wearing them too with casual outfits (shorts, etc). It struck me as odd at first because back home in TX almost everyone outside of a very professional environment went bare legged. Don't get me wrong, there is something very nostalgic and kind of sweet about it. I might like it but I'd have to try it :)

man, there is nothing wrong with a nice healthy slim body but Kate's just so young, I thought you were allowed to be a little round about the edges until you reach middle age where you have to join a Jewish cult and start eating nothing but wheat grass and doing Pilates in order to retain your youth. Hollywood stars have to stay super skinny because red-carpet "journalists" brutally scrutinize every ounce. But what happened to royalty being fat and lazy, stuffing their corpulent bodies into miles of jewel-encrusted silk and fanning themselves while the servants fetch more Turkish Delight? I want a fat ugly queen who sits scowling for portraits while beating the help. Since when does a princess have to break her ass to stay skinny? She's already got the job for goodness' sake. :lol:

But in all seriousness, she looks amazing and has great style, and there is nothing unattractive about her figure, but dang there is one chick I want to give a hearty stew and a big chunk of crusty bread to. I bet William wouldn't mind a couple more pounds of something to hang onto either. :P

Why do so many Germans (and others in Europe) wear sheer, shiny pantyhose all year long?

guilty!

and what's with the black leggings and shorts look?

guilty again!

It's a confidence issue for me - I have the palest legs in the world!

what about a bit of fake tan / gradual tan mosturizer on your legs then? You must be roasting with the tights/leggings these days with the weather so hot.

man, there is nothing wrong with a nice healthy slim body but Kate's just so young, ...Hollywood stars have to stay super skinny because red-carpet "journalists" brutally scrutinize every ounce. ... and there is nothing unattractive about her figure, but dang there is one chick I want to give a hearty stew and a big chunk of crusty bread to. ...

She's beeen getting thinnner and thinner in the last few years even months and i really think she's verging on becoming anorexic - when you look at some pics e.g. http://img.ibtimes.com/www/data/images/full/2011/07/09/128054-follow-prince-william-kate-middletons-california-royal-tour-photos.jpg

She should really eat something.

what about a bit of fake tan / gradual tan mosturizer on your legs then? You must be roasting with the tights/leggings these days with the weather so hot.

If you're naturally quite white skinned the fake tans often turn into streaky orange - often reminding me of the German wall paints called 'mediterranean' where you paint it yellow/orange and then 'smear' terracotta over it.

If you're naturally quite white skinned the fake tans often turn into streaky orange - often reminding me of the German wall paints called 'mediterranean' where you paint it yellow/orange and then 'smear' terracotta over it.

Agreed! Fake tan is a bit of an addiction back home - which is why I tend to boycott it. A lot of my friends there are obsessed and have been using it regularly since 5 or 6 years old for Irish dance competitions, plus it looks hideous when it starts to wear off (or instant fake tan - when it rains :lol: )

Serious question.

Why would a company take as a tranee an older immigrant, who does not speak the language fluently, instead of a young German?

Why do Americans put their feet up on the seats opposite them on trains? Shoes and all! It is gross. I am not talking teens here, but adult, well educated people. Do they never think about what is on the bottom of their shoes and that putting them on upholstery is just plain nasty.

it's just "babes" with a z. Sort of like talking about somebody's moms, when you're only talking about one person.

Example: your moms is so ugly, she failed even to be cast on America's Next Top Model.

ooooh, BURN!

The vent -- Moderation complaints belong in a PM

This is not a complaint, I'm curious. Since we don't know which mod thought our joke about merged threads was a complaint, which mod do we send the PM to? Just pick a random one or how do you go about that?

so what if after getting flashed by a temporary speed camera, I pull over, back up, wait until there are no cars passing by, and then hop out and load the thing in the back of the car and take off?

Frosted glass in passenger aircraft toilet windows???

British rail complain they have lost thousands due to fare dodgers... well if they never caught them, how do they know?

Do mental health facilities provide free internet? I sometimes wonder, given the content of certain posts/ threads.

Answers based on personal experience, preferred. :P