Questions you have been afraid to ask... in case you look stupid

2,169 posts in this topic

oooh, or you could be hit with the double whammy, where being fat makes you look old. Although I have very good skin and no lines on my face, people usually guess my age correctly :ph34r: (one early twenty-something even had the nerve to say his estimate was based on the fact that I looked "ripe". arrrrrrrrgh.)

Why is it, that when you go somewhere on your bike, the wind blows against you both coming and going?

Why does it always seem to take less time coming back form where you have juts been?

Who used the humour hover in my office?

Do you have to be an anal person to be a TL or do you become one after having the job for a while?

Why do we live in a society where you can drive dangerously yet get away with it (keep your high paid job), in spite of evidence, yet if you cheat on your thesis your life gets practically ruined? I guess the other question would be why sportsmen get away with stuff other people do not?...

Dessa, I had to laugh at your post which my rotten confoundit computer won't let me multi-quote. When I was forty and had an infant son, my 19-year-old neighbor wondered how old I was and guessed me at 29. It was obvious that to her 29 was as old as anyone could be without being completely decrepit.

hahaha, or as old as you can guess without offending someone! Lord forbid you should imply someone is over 30, the horror. Or maybe she was one of those ones that think your eggs dry up after 26 and having a baby any time after that is unsafe.

If I throw a bucket of water to the idiots shouting in the street, will it be considered Korper Verletzung?

What does it say about Americans, that those little packets of silicon put in things to keep them fresh, say "discard" in every other language, but in English, they say "DO NOT EAT!"?

I got this one.

Americans don't like being told what to do, but may tolerate being told what not to do. <_<

Tell me to discard it?? I might want to make some arty crafty thing with it Dammit.

But telling me not to eat it, well that is just considerate since it looks like salt.

How's that?

If I throw a bucket of water to the idiots shouting in the street, will it be considered Korper Verletzung?

You can just claim that due to their odor, you wanted to help them out with a free shower. How do you say "being neighborly" auf Deutsch? ;)

@Erised: I was more going for the picture of one of us Americans just shoving everything in his/her mouth, but I like your explanation, too. :P

Perhaps Germany is going the way of America, though. I just realised that my can of Wasabi Peanuts has the following text on the side:

Hinweis: enthält Tütchen mit Sauerstoffbindemittel, das nicht zum Verzehr geeignet ist!

Basically High German for: don't eat the bag of silicon, you dumbass! :P

ballerinas wear tutus so why can't male ballerinos wear baggy shorts?

@Erised: I was more going for the picture of one of us Americans just shoving everything in his/her mouth, but I like your explanation, too.

Perhaps Germany is going the way of America, though. I just realised that my can of Wasabi Peanuts has the following text on the side:

Hinweis: enthält Tütchen mit Sauerstoffbindemittel, das nicht zum Verzehr geeignet ist!

Basically High German for: don't eat the bag of silicon, you dumbass!

Yes, I know, you made me laugh, so I thought I would return the favor :D My husband loves to tease me about American warning labels. I told him they were necessary since the invention of lawn darts.... :huh:

My guess would be through elimination - it is somehow easier to know what you don't want, than what you DO...

Can sorrows drown or do they learn how to swim?

(Can I get a praktikum and consequently a job?)