Questions you have been afraid to ask... in case you look stupid

2,618 posts in this topic

Is a driver of a vehicle vaping more dangerous than smoking?

Guy behind me this morning was vaping and it occurred to me that he can only have one hand on the steering wheel the whole time.  At least with a cigarette you can leave it hanging in your mouth.

3 hours ago, dj_jay_smith said:

At least with a cigarette you can leave it hanging in your mouth.

Not really unless you're James Dean. The smoke gets in your eyes.

On 8/9/2019, 4:41:46, hooperski said:

Is it still skinny-dipping if fat people do it?

On 8/10/2019, 12:29:24, fraufruit said:

No. It is then called chunky dunk.

If you ask Smurf, it probably is "evil, dirty, ugly, stupid".

Season with a sprinkling of stalking by "her".

2 hours ago, Metall said:

If you ask Smurf, it probably is "evil, dirty, ugly, stupid".

Season with a sprinkling of stalking by "her".

That is rather nasty accusation. You should be careful or at least try to be less of a bitch. People don’t like being personally attacked - especially about appearances

38 minutes ago, Kommentarlos said:

That is rather nasty accusation. You should be careful or at least try to be less of a bitch. People don’t like being personally attacked - especially about appearances

So, Smurf can dish it out, but cannot take it^_^

7 minutes ago, dstanners said:

Uh, thanks @Sir Percy B I guess...a company name/website would be rather more helpful.

But that was not in your question. :P

Google Kanalsanierung/ rohrsanierung in NRW that will do the job.

It  was a "dynorod" style company I was specifically after rather than a pointer to google. I like the fact that its a standard franchise, with transparent pricing and services, rather than calling some local johnny here in the Eifel only to get a self-professed expert in a range of drainage issues who will turn up (or not turn up) only to spout his bl00dy Fachbegriffe.

Why is the world series of tennis matches called the "80p Tour".  The prize money is way more than that.

Dunno Hoops, but at risk of souding stupid, here is my question:

Sometimes in the middle of the night I wake up and the light on my television, which is on standby, is blinking and lighting up the whole room - can anybody tell me why?

It´s God´s way of telling you need a pee, rob! Never underestimate the power of the Universe!

57 minutes ago, robinson100 said:

Dunno Hoops, but at risk of souding stupid, here is my question:

Sometimes in the middle of the night I wake up and the light on my television, which is on standby, is blinking and lighting up the whole room - can anybody tell me why?

I have a wireless speaker with a usb drive attached to it, and sometimes when I wake up in the middle of the night the drive is powered on.  I think the speaker might be collecting information about what's on the drive for analytics but can't be sure.  Now I unplug the drive when I'm not listening to music.

no idea why your TV would blink.  Maybe it's updating the firmware or something?  Is it in any way connected to the internet?

eta:  I don't know how efficient modern TVs are but when I had a house with a snazzy stereo system and big TV I put all of it on a power strip that I could turn off when not in use.  "standby" mode consumes more power than you'd think and I saw a noticeable reduction in my electricity bill after I started shutting off these phantom loads.

27 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

eta:  I don't know how efficient modern TVs are but when I had a house with a snazzy stereo system and big TV I put all of it on a power strip that I could turn off when not in use.  "standby" mode consumes more power than you'd think and I saw a noticeable reduction in my electricity bill after I started shutting off these phantom loads.

Even better to get a power strip with an appropriate circuit breaker for the power usage of the appliance attached to it. Electrical malfunction and  fire safety should not be underestimsted. 

1 hour ago, hooperski said:

Does cutting your toenails count as yoga.

Yes, hoopsies, but don't forget to take a deep breath, be graceful in your movement, and release your breath, whilst reaching down..   same technique can be applied to wiping one's arse.