Questions you have been afraid to ask... in case you look stupid

2,616 posts in this topic

@Tap I don't know when you were there last, but the shelf tagging has included both netto and brutto for the last eight years at least.

37 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

@Tap I don't know when you were there last, but the shelf tagging has included both netto and brutto for the last eight years at least.

Actually, I've just been thinking about it, and it's probably been even longer since I've been shopping there - I'll be quiet now :unsure:

On 22.6.2019, 00:09:57, hooperski said:

Is it just my wife that has kept dozens of gu ramekins, because "one day they'll come in handy".

Oh, I have a shelf full. Zillions. They were on offer at Tesco some years back and we ate much Gu-ness, and then I moved the little pot things back because they are just so brilliant and 'one day they'll come in handy', as your wife says. I am about to move them again, and still remain certain that they will one day come into their own. They may be demoted into a box in the cellar this time around.

My wife used around 24 last year, she put them in the garden and put candles in them, thus creating an "ambience".

Never took them in during the Winter, then the rain and frost killed them.

On 1.7.2019, 20:33:02, AlexTr said:

the shelf tagging has included both netto and brutto for the last eight years at least.

Exactly, the Metro introduced the shelf display of both prices quite a few years ago.

I agree, the meat selection there is rather nice. If you can get the thick cut bacon from Holnburger, that easily rivals artisan bacon from the US. Mr Metall and our various guests enjoy it. :)

So... its I before E... except after C !!! 

Do you think Science could prove this theory to be incorrect?

I've just been informed that Americans don't have egg cups.  After millions of years of evolution, how is this possible?

DEW9_RMXYAAjStO.jpg

On ‎11‎.‎07‎.‎2019‎ ‎00‎:‎19‎:‎51, SpiderPig said:

So... its I before E... except after C !!! 

That's nice, I really love efficeint mnemonics!

1 hour ago, hooperski said:

I've just been informed that Americans don't have egg cups.  After millions of years of evolution, how is this possible?

DEW9_RMXYAAjStO.jpg

We have them; we just don't need them. 

Why not? Surely your eggs must roll around the plate, unless you have square eggs.

Fried eggs don't fit and scrambled eggs spill out. Not everyone feels the need to have a 3 minute egg. Personally, I use a poaching pan.

Image result for poaching pan

soft boiled eggs aren't as much of a staple in US breakfasts. When I eat them, I cut them in half and scoop the egg out straight onto my toast, then sit down to eat.  No down time or place for anything to roll around.

I always thought of egg cups as some kind of fantasy luxury item - like, "oh that's so cute! (and totally pointless)".  I don't think I saw one outside of a Martha Stewart magazine til I was 35.

39 minutes ago, AlexTr said:

Fried eggs don't fit and scrambled eggs spill out. Not everyone feels the need to have a 3 minute egg. Personally, I use a poaching pan.

Image result for poaching pan

Me too, but nearly always have a faff getting the eggs out as my moulds don't lift out like the ones in your picture.

39 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

soft boiled eggs aren't as much of a staple in US breakfasts. When I eat them, I cut them in half and scoop the egg out straight onto my toast, then sit down to eat.  No down time or place for anything to roll around.

I always thought of egg cups as some kind of fantasy luxury item - like, "oh that's so cute! (and totally pointless)".  I don't think I saw one outside of a Martha Stewart magazine til I was 35.

I've never thought of eggs cups as a "luxury item", must be my breeding. ;)

No soldiers?    Soldiers are a must with soft boiled eggs 👍

Is it just me, or does everybody poke their tongue out when they're decorating.