Questions you have been afraid to ask... in case you look stupid

2,579 posts in this topic

Is it just my wife that has kept dozens of gu ramekins, because "one day they'll come in handy".

6 hours ago, hooperski said:

Is it just my wife that has kept dozens of gu ramekins, because "one day they'll come in handy".

Me too :D.  Just found a use though, seed starter pots for my sweet peas.

Currently the outside temperaure here in a little town close to Heidelberg is 39°C.

In our house (no A/C) we have 25°C.

I read, that German doctors recommend that with an A/C the difference between inside and outside temperature should not be higher than 6°C,

because that might cause the dreaded "Kreislaufstörung" or colds.

Should we open doors and windows to decrease the temperature difference?

Just read (https://publikationen.dguv.de/dguv/pdf/10002/215-520.pdf, Deutsche gesetzliche Unfallversicherung)) that outside temperatures above 32°C are thus not allowed in Germany!

" Die Lufttemperatur in Büros soll 26°C nicht überschreiten. Bei darüber liegender Außentemperatur darf in Ausnahmefällen die Lufttem-peratur höher sein (siehe Frage 3).Bei Büroräumen, die mit einer Klimaanlage ausgestattet sind, sollte an heißen Tagen im Sommer eine Temperaturdifferenz von maximal 6°C zwischen Außentemperatur und Raumtemperatur eingestellt werden

On June 22, 2019 at 12:36:20 AM, emkay said:

Me too :D.  Just found a use though, seed starter pots for my sweet peas.

Ramekin use: individual Pate,  crime brûlée, tea bag dumper!

3 hours ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

Currently the outside temperaure here in a little town close to Heidelberg is 39°C.

I read, that German doctors recommend that with an A/C the difference between inside and outside temperature should not be higher than 6°C,

Just read (https://publikationen.dguv.de/dguv/pdf/10002/215-520.pdf, Deutsche gesetzliche Unfallversicherung)) that outside temperatures above 32°C are thus not allowed in Germany!

" Die Lufttemperatur in Büros soll 26°C nicht überschreiten. Bei darüber liegender Außentemperatur darf in Ausnahmefällen die Lufttem-peratur höher sein (siehe Frage 3).Bei Büroräumen, die mit einer Klimaanlage ausgestattet sind, sollte an heißen Tagen im Sommer eine Temperaturdifferenz von maximal 6°C zwischen Außentemperatur und Raumtemperatur eingestellt werden

Interesting!

As some of you may know, I work for a leading discounter here in Germany, and the company policy is to have the place at 26 degrees all of the time - they even go as far as locking up the controls to the A/C so that nobody can make the place cooler (apparently, it keeps the fresh products in the best condition for them to be sold, but the staff still sweat like pigs, since they still have to work hard and fast!). ...

Anyway, the other day a customer came marching up to me, demanding that I turn down the A/C "sofort"!!!

Apparently, it was far too cold for her to do her shopping comfortably, and she wouldn't come again if we didn't react to her wish...

So, my question has to be, is it normal to walk into a store and demand they change the temperature to suite you?

3 hours ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

oh for pete's sake

enough with this nonsense.  

go to the US in summer.  experience the 10-15 degree (c) difference between outside and in, and observe that NO ONE gets sick from it (unless the HVAC system has mold or some such).  I hate how cold americans set the klima but it's not because it ever made me sick.  I just think it's insane to have to carry a sweater around when it's 35 degrees outside with 90% humidity, that's all.

this german voodoo medicine leaves me befuddled and downright worried at times.

5 hours ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

Colds are transmitted by viruses. You dont get a cold from sleeping with the window open or the fan blowing on you, or a difference in temp from outside and indoor ac.

THANK YOU!

:)

can you share that data with the assholes who regularly cough/sneeze right in my face on the subway? 

6 hours ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

To get around that particular problem, only turn on the aircon in Winter.

So I'm going to register to get a Metro card and my understanding is that it should only be used for business purchases.

However, I definitely remember an old housemate's father having one, and we would all pile in the car and load up on bulk groceries as they were cheaper and we certainly weren't the only people doing that.  Is this actually allowed? As there's no VAT on it do they report your purchases to the Finanzamt?  

It's been a while since I've been at Metro, but they charge VAT there. The only difference is that because they're "for business customers", the VAT is calculated at the register, not included in the shelf prices.

When you do your VAT advance return, you can get the tax refunded for things that you can plausibly claim are for business. If you don't have a restaurant, for example, you'll find it difficult to claim a box of steaks or 2-kilo box of Haribo as business expenditures.

4 minutes ago, evildudette said:

So I'm going to register to get a Metro card and my understanding is that it should only be used for business purchases.

However, I definitely remember an old housemate's father having one, and we would all pile in the car and load up on bulk groceries as they were cheaper and we certainly weren't the only people doing that.  Is this actually allowed? As there's no VAT on it do they report your purchases to the Finanzamt?  

There's only no VAT if you are a reseller and have that kind of paperwork. Regular freelancers pay VAT. Otherwise, you just buy what you want.

Perfect, thanks!  I remember coming out with a lovely 5kg pack of bacon the first time I went in there - don't fancy my chances so much on that one but there should be some goodies!

Goods appear cheaper because the price on the shelf does not include tax, that's added at the check out.  I have a card, but I don't use it very often as so many things are actually more expensive than you might find in the normal shops. Use the card wisely.