Questions you have been afraid to ask... in case you look stupid

2,577 posts in this topic

We just took a walk through a sunny, humid woods and were covered up in bugs. I'm going to say, no, it's not normal to find no bugs.

The problem is that we all want loads of fresh and unblemished fruit and veg... So the Clever scientists GM the crops...  this alters their growth rates, patters and allsorts this screwing about with the life cycle of the local wildlife... 

Then as there are no natural enemies etc... a roague but infestation could wreck everything, so the clever scientists create inscticides to stop this happening... 

Somehow... I thing clever can be substituted by dumbfucker too..

Have you never noticed the lack of bugs on your windscreen and front of the car after a rum out?

Whirled peas everybody!

I thought that Germany banned GM foods a few years ago along with a couple of other EU countries. Did that not stick?

Questions you´ve never asked etc..Spider: what are whirled peas? I don´t have them in my fridge right now...it wants whirled peas...but only with your help!+

16 hours ago, emkay said:

During a long walk through the forest and wild flower meadows next to our house, we noticed that we barely saw any insects, flying or other...no bees nor butterflies despite the meadows being in full bloom...is that normal for this time of year on a sunny calm day? 

Not really. The large flower bed outside my office window is so full of bees that I can here them with the windows open.

Also a lot of spider webs for this time of year.

Just rang a local NABU chap who told me that the lack of bees, insects in general and birds is a very big problem caused by the continued use of Monsanto glyphosate  The chap says that despite the legal case at the moment, there has been a 5 year extension.  

In addition, the problem is that home owners are planting less insect friendly flowers...zu viel dreck...and using domestic insecticides.  I heard a news report recently that the trend of low maintenance stone gardens is also very damaging to the environment and will likely be banned in some areas in the future.  

He he suggested that in order to help a little, homeowners should plant insect friendly plants, refrain from mowing lawns so often to allow clover etc to blossom, don't use insecticide and make sure that fertilizers are insect friendly. We'll certainly do what we can in our small garden.  Buddleas are a good source of constant summer blooms and attract plenty of insects. 

Very sad.

15 minutes ago, emkay said:

He he suggested that in order to help a little, homeowners should plant insect friendly plants, refrain from mowing lawns so often to allow clover etc to blossom, don't use insecticide and make sure that fertilizers are insect friendly. We'll certainly do what we can in our small garden.  Buddleas are a good source of constant summer blooms and attract plenty of insects. 

Very sad.

To support biodiversity it is recommended to set the blades of the lawn mower to 10 cm. Paths to the washing line etc can then be mowed shorter as necessary.  It is facinating to see what then regrows. 

42 minutes ago, Kommentarlos said:

To support biodiversity it is recommended to set the blades of the lawn mower to 10 cm. Paths to the washing line etc can then be mowed shorter as necessary.  It is facinating to see what then regrows. 

We will leave a large patch of uncut lawn and sow meadow flower seeds.  

Just spoke with our local Green Party chap. He confirms that there is a big problem though he has appealed to local farmers not to use glyphosate.  The flowering meadows that I referred to are protected and he can't account for why there is such a visible lack of insects and birds.  They are investigating.

Good to hear that there are local initiatives such as farmers being given donations to allow fields to develop into flower meadows rather than crops.  I guess every little helps.

1 hour ago, emkay said:

The chap says that despite the legal case at the moment, there has been a 5 year extension.

Surely that has nothing to do with Bayer buying Monsanto. <_<

It seems in the towns with all the gardens the problem is not so severe. I've seen lots of insects (and birds) on my patio the past few days. It's the countryside that is suffering due to modern-day farming. There was a campaign recently all over the news "Petition for a referendum on biodiversity and natural beauty in Bavaria" https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volksbegehren_%E2%80%9EArtenvielfalt_%26_Natursch%C3%B6nheit_in_Bayern%E2%80%9C, which was quite successful. Other Bundesländer are planning the same. The farmers are not pleased. 

35 minutes ago, bramble said:

IIt's the countryside that is suffering due to modern-day farming. There was a campaign recently all over the news "Petition for a referendum on biodiversity and natural beauty in Bavaria" https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volksbegehren_%E2%80%9EArtenvielfalt_%26_Natursch%C3%B6nheit_in_Bayern%E2%80%9C, which was quite successful. Other Bundesländer are planning the same. The farmers are not pleased. 

Super,important point. Without respect and understanding for the world around us we cannot begin to,stsrt respecting snd understanding ourselves.

2 hours ago, emkay said:

We will leave a large patch of uncut lawn and sow meadow flower seeds.  

A friend of ours in Hessen has permission from a local farmer to keep 3 beehives on his land. I could see you doing something similar. A proper cottage industry. :)

2 hours ago, bramble said:

The farmers are not pleased. 

The Farmers or the Chemical companies? Let's not forget they make a lot of money out of modern farming methods. Another thing I think has affected wildlife is the removal of the grant to farmers to leave land fallow. Farmers are not neccessarily guardians of the land but businessmen there to run a business and make a profit. They will try and maximise the yield and profit from every piece of land they own. Look at the removal of hedgerows as an example.

3 hours ago, bramble said:

The farmers are not pleased. 

No, it is the farmers who are angry Where I buy chicken every week, there was a "Nein" sign on the wall for that bee referendum thing. Modern farming is highly mechanised and the farmers are at the mercy of the EU as to what to plant. 

12 minutes ago, jeremytwo said:

Modern farming is highly mechanised and the farmers are at the mercy of the EU as to what to plant. 

And from the consumer with regard to the price the are prepared to pay for the volumes they consider they need to consume.

If Cinderella’s shoe was a perfect fit why did it fall off?

Happened to me once, Clive , during telephone sex. I didn’t want to foot the bill.

( gets his coat )...