Questions you have been afraid to ask... in case you look stupid

2,579 posts in this topic

I agree that a united parent approach might be best if possible.  The school will have procedures for dealing with bullying.  

When my daughter supported a friend who was being bullied, the school's initial approach was to help the girl deal with the incidents by feeling able to confide in a teacher.  The teacher then gently encouraged kindness between all concerned. They held regular 'friend circle' get togethers where each had to tell the other what they thought was kind about the other without drawing attention to any unkindness.  The parents of the bullied girl were also advised how to deal with their unhappy child. They were warned not to make contact with the parents of the bullies and to not react with anger or aggression when their child spoke about the bullies as this is most likely to discourage the bullied child confiding in the parents.  

Awful for anyone to be subjected to bullying though at such a young age, most rifts heal very quickly.

Is this sort of treatment by Ticketmaster the norm and acceptable or are they just acting a bit moody. Is there a problem?

This event is in August, yet I'm still waiting for tickets for an event in early June. Why don't they print the tickets now?

This is the latest message from them.

Hi there,
Dispatch update – 3 months to go!

This is just to let you know that we’re working on a few final details before we can print your tickets, so they haven’t been dispatched just yet. We’re working hard to have this completed, and as soon as this is done, we’ll print them and send them out to you.

This may not be until nearer the event date, but don’t worry, it’s all in hand – the latest you should receive your tickets is around 5 days before the event.

Maybe they want to be sure the artist doesn't cancel before printing and mailing the tickets???

Do, however, get worried next week or so.

I did email them last month and they said not to worry.

This has put me off getting tickets via them especially as they charge so much.

I think it is to do with fraud and ticket touts.

If they send tickets out early then there is more chance of somebody being able to produce good quality copies.  So they prefer to send them out as late as possible.

And there has been a clampdown on people who act as ticket touts.  So again, the later they send them out the less chance people have to sell them on.

2 hours ago, dj_jay_smith said:

If they send tickets out early then there is more chance of somebody being able to produce good quality copies.  So they prefer to send them out as late as possible.

The tickets for almost all events are identical stock with the details printed on top, many if not all events also have "print at home" as an option so faking is typically extremely easy.  

2 hours ago, dj_jay_smith said:

I think it is to do with fraud and ticket touts.

I think this is exactly it, the later the tickets are sent, the harder it is for touts to sell them.  Some bands/promoters have started doing things like personalised tickets that only give access if you have ID which matches the name in the ticket. 

A friend went to a Chelsea game a year or so back and it wanst enough to have a ticket, he also had to provide a receipt from one of the recognised resellers.  The theory being that it prevents "illegal" reselling.

I am not aware of any of this actually detering touts, in the example I gave for football there were plenty of people selling tickets outside which presumably would have been worthless to the purchaser, but that doesnt matter to the tout who anyway has his cash.

My sister bought me Tickets for Bryan Ferry in FFM at the end of this month...

She had also the same crap from Ticket master....  When she said that she needed them so that she could send them to me, They cancelled her order saying that unfiórtunately, the concert is sold out. 

In the mean time, last month, I went to a punk concert, in a punk sh*thole and saw people entering the place with e-tickets in their smartphones.     It was a mix feeling, technology is finally catching up in Germany ... but it was a punk concert.    Maybe punk is dead after all.

Ok.. another apparently pointless question...

If a banking institute is not permitted to charge a "one off fee " for organising a loan, because this is the Banks job...

Why can Sky charge an activations fee for their service when providing this service is actually their job! ?

On 07/05/2019, 12:46:16, emkay said:

The school will have procedures for dealing with bullying.  

I would not take that for granted. Definitely follow up on this.

2 hours ago, Krieg said:

In the mean time, last month, I went to a punk concert, in a punk sh*thole and saw people entering the place with e-tickets in their smartphones.     It was a mix feeling, technology is finally catching up in Germany ... but it was a punk concert.    Maybe punk is dead after all.

nah mate. i saw TV Smith earlier this year to celebrate getting Germanized. took the poor lady in the bookshop like 5 tries to print the ticket - i hope she managed to get a refund from the booking company for all the failed attempts!

TV was on top form, even if i was sick and barely able to make it through the night.

Today's spammer informed me that they now accept C.O.D. for all orders from their shop.

As I don't have any C.O.D. I wanted to ask if they also accept H.A.D.D.O.C.K or even P.L.A.I.C.E.

But I didn't in case they'd think I'm stupid.

1 minute ago, hooperski said:

Why is W called a double U and not a double V.

The question is backwards, its a double u because it is, in fact a double u.  The question is why does it look like a vv when its a uu.  The answer seems to be because thats how the romans wrote a u way back when.

15 minutes ago, hooperski said:

Because you're a Brit, not a bloody Spaniard.

Show some pride, man.

12 minutes ago, zwiebelfisch said:

The question is backwards, its a double u because it is, in fact a double u.  The question is why does it look like a vv when its a uu.  The answer seems to be because thats how the romans wrote a u way back when.

Bloody Romans! What have they ever done for us?

2 minutes ago, El Jeffo said:

Well as you live north of the Limes Germanicus, then nothing!

1 hour ago, hooperski said:

Aw c'mon, everyone knows it's pronounced dubya.

On 5/10/2019, 12:37:10, El Jeffo said:

I know the Eurovision Song Contest was held in Israel, but why did Madonna dress up as Moshe Dayan.

During a long walk through the forest and wild flower meadows next to our house, we noticed that we barely saw any insects, flying or other...no bees nor butterflies despite the meadows being in full bloom...is that normal for this time of year on a sunny calm day?