Questions you have been afraid to ask... in case you look stupid

2,695 posts in this topic

Brilliant info... Thanks guys...

Now my next question...  

Is Germany getting pissed off with people thinking its the "Cash cow of  europe"?

If it aint working here for you.. fuck off home!  ... 

just thinkin' out loud!

On 29.4.2019, 11:26:30, emkay said:

If we were caught eating in the streets (late 70's), we faced a brutal thrashing from the nuns.  Very unhappy memories of all things nun related.  They made the monster under the bed feel welcome.  

Peace on Earth & goodwill to all men & such...

There was a convent school for girls run by a bunch of nuns adjacent to the grammar school I attended in Stockport UK.

My mother (who was an infant teacher) used to give coaching to children having reading problems.  She often kept in touch

with some of these kids over subsequent years.  She knew that at least one of these girls went to the convent.

Many years later she met the girl's mother & asked how she was getting on.  Mother explained that child had been

constantly ill, demotivated etc.  Then the called the doctor to visit (Dr. Lewis - one of the "old school" with a bow tie).

Dr. went upstairs, sent mother downstairs & asked "Hows school"?.  Girl burst into tears.  Dr. came downstairs and

wrote a prescription - in it was "Change the school".  They did & the girl never looked back.  Wise doctor.

Subsequently my old school purchased the adjacent convent school & integrated it - without nuns.

13 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

Now my next question...  

Is england getting pissed off with people thinking its the "Cash cow of  europe"?

If it aint working here for you.. fuck off home!  ... 

just thinkin' out loud!

Is that a quote from a UKIP poster?

Damn those racists, thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Why don't they sell a bikini as one piece anymore since bikini pants and top have separate prices these days?

I don't fully understand what you mean with your question, so I'm going to guess at its interpretation.  A lot of women are different clothing sizes on top and bottom, and buying a bikini in two separate halves means they can buy each half in the appropriate size.  For these women, buying a bikini as a set means you tend to end up with one half too big or too small.

When is it good to be nice to Jehovah´s Witnesses?

I must admit I was caught off guard today! Semi-naked---doorbell rang. I opened the  patio door and there they were..two of them and besuited! On Crete..in suits!! The elder one spoke excellent English...talked about " the son of God " etc.

" Yep ", I agreed. And " God sees everything - including the way Cretans treat dogs... God is fine..bet he doesn´t like what He sees going on here. Respect for dogs, ok."

He was nice about it and left and didn´t hassle me.

My own question answered, actually. Be nice to everyone as long as it is mutual.

Edit: I refuse to be nice and friendly anymore to that bigoted woman who, every time I walk two dogs on leashes past her house, comes out and puts her hands on her hips and stares at us nach dem Motto " how dare you walk past my house with dogs ".

I nearly lost my temper today and was close to saying (in Greek ).." fuck off, arsehole " but I decided against it..but it was close.

9 minutes ago, john g. said:

My own question answered, actually. Be nice to everyone as long as it is mutual.

Yep!

15 hours ago, john g. said:

When is it good to be nice to Jehovah´s Witnesses?

This looks like a good chance to tell my Jehovah's witness story.

Back in the UK I had a colleague who was a Jehovah's witness.

During the 2005 General election, he had a knock on the door from the BNP canvassing for votes.

Now according to his religion, my colleague was not supposed to really engage in politics, but for some reason he had a notion.

He said to the guys on the door, "Come in, sit down, would you like a cup-of-tea?".

Being from the BNP, the canvassers were not expecting this, but thinking their luck was in, they came in and sat down whilst my colleague went and got their tea.
As they sat there getting their leaflets ready, my colleague came back from the kitchen with two copies of the watchtower and said "Have you ever thought of letting Jesus into your life".
He said the look on their face was priceless and they couldn't get out fast enough.
EDIT also to directly answer your question, be nice to your Jehovah's witness colleagues near Christmas as they don't celebrate and so are good for holiday cover.

ok.. So, my daughter is getting bullied at school...   getting kicked and punched by 2 particular kids... ( One is a former best friend),,,,

Its now at the stage where she gets tummy ache every evening and cant sleep properly.. 

Her mother hasnt spoken to me about it... but Lilly has said to me that her mom has spoken to the teacher... 

But its still continuing..   How or what can I do to get these children repremanded?  

more importantly, how can I do it without Lillys Mom finding out coz that will set the cat amongst the pigeons!

Please?  any useful advise ?

TIA

@ Piggy - set the cat amongst the pigeons!

This is not the time for the Mother to be against your help - you are both her parents, and you both love her!

Contact the school and ask them to contact the parents of the other kids about what they are doing.

Is there a school counsellor that might be able to help Lilly?

I'd go with Robinson 100, it's not the time to worry about the reaction from her mother, your daughter comes first. Also be wary that the school don't try and say the issue is actually at home and not through bullying. Alternatively, look for another school. (if at all possible)

Assuming the Mum has actually already spoken to the school, could you try speaking directly to the parents of the bullies?

38 minutes ago, dstanners said:

Assuming the Mum has actually already spoken to the school, could you try speaking directly to the parents of the bullies?

Not advisable according to the advice on this website:  http://www.mobbing-in-der-schule.info/

• Eltern sollten die Warnsignale von Mobbing kennen. Sie ernstnehmen, z. B. wenn das Kind nicht mehr in die Schule gehen will, sich oft krank fühlt, Alpträume hat oder Schulsachen beschädigt nach Hause bringt. Bei Mobbing-Verdacht sollten sie die Schule informieren und fordern, dass gehandelt wird. Wird nicht gehandelt, sollten sie immer wieder vorstellig werden und sich auch an die nächsthöhere Instanz wenden. Jedoch sollten Eltern nicht direkt mit den Tätern(innen) Kontakt aufnehmen.

Parents should know the warning signs of bullying. Take them seriously, e.g. if the child no longer wants to go to school, often feels ill, has nightmares or brings school supplies home damaged. If they suspect bullying, they should inform the school and demand that action be taken. If no action is taken, they should always make representations and appeal to the next higher authority. However, parents should not contact the perpetrators directly.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

2 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

ok.. So, my daughter is getting bullied at school...   getting kicked and punched by 2 particular kids... ( One is a former best friend),,,,

Two girls probably, and I presume jealousy is involved. Ask Lily how it all developed. Maybe her former best friend is jealous because the other girl got more attention from Lily - or the other way round. Whatever, one of the girls is manipulating the other to bully Lily and Lily herself needs psycholigical help in this situation. Maybe the Jugendamt can advise where to get counselling (Beratungsstelle für mobbing in der Schule).

Edit: Tackle the problem now before they're old enough to go on social media, where the bullying spreads uncontrollable and becomes even more damaging. 

Just out of interest, yesterday on RLP1 (or SWR1) was a guy talking about bullying and how to deal with it as well as the consequences. I don't know if you can here but it might be worth going on their website to see if the interview is available. He spoke a lot of sense and had a lot of experince (was bullied and his son also)

2 hours ago, robinson100 said:

@ Piggy - set the cat amongst the pigeons!

This is not the time for the Mother to be against your help - you are both her parents, and you both love her!

Contact the school and ask them to contact the parents of the other kids about what they are doing.

Is there a school counsellor that might be able to help Lilly?

Sorry to hear that SP. Robinson is right. You both need to speak to the school.

Not acceptable behaviour.

A third, neutral person is best. Do not contact other parents directly.

12 hours ago, bramble said:

sollten Eltern nicht direkt mit den Tätern(innen) Kontakt aufnehmen

I didn't suggest Spider spoke with the bullies themselves (den Taetern) rather their parents.

I have only suggested it as a secondary option, given the mother has already tried speaking with the school - if Spider doubts the Mother has done that or done it sufficiently, then it would be worth him also going to them.

I will not be contacting the parents of the other children... but I will suggest that the 2 children are removed form the school for a period of time... 

This may also give their parents a bit of a wake-up call...

I am reluctant to requst that my daughter is moved to another school as she used to like going to this one... "The teachers are cool"  as she told me once.. 

Your school might have a parents council in charge of dealing with these problems (big conflicts, violence, bullying, etc).  Ask the parent representative of the class (Elternvertreter) about this.      

If you find no solution this way then direct your concerns to the school Principal in written form and if things still do not change you have to escalate to your Schulamt.

Do you think that Lilly's mom told her not to tell you about the bullying? If so, are you afraid of breaking Lilly's trust by talking to her mom about it? It only comes to mind because I have been in the same type of situations. Some things must be shared for the welfare of the child so you can take a team approach. i.e. You and Mum going to the school together as a united front. Parenting is tough. I don't envy you this situation and my heart breaks for sweet Lilly.

37 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

I will not be contacting the parents of the other children... but I will suggest that the 2 children are removed form the school for a period of time... 

This may also give their parents a bit of a wake-up call...

I am reluctant to requst that my daughter is moved to another school as she used to like going to this one... "The teachers are cool"  as she told me once.. 

This is a really horrible situation to be in.

I think you are doing the right thing by going to talk to the head teacher/Schulleiter/in about the other 2 children. The school does need to be informed what is going on. Poor Lilly, children can be so cruel to one another. I hope it can get sorted out soon.