Questions you have been afraid to ask... in case you look stupid

2,579 posts in this topic

On 26.4.2019, 21:55:37, hooperski said:

When was is deemed normal and acceptable to walk through city centres and shopping malls wolfing down burgers and other fast food.

Well I was a schoolboy in the '60s and it was a school rule that we were not allowed 

to eat in the street !

(In uniform - so obviously belonging to that school of course)

3 minutes ago, HH_Sailor said:

Well I was a schoolboy in the '60s and it was a school rule that we were not allowed 

to eat in the street !

If we were caught eating in the streets (late 70's), we faced a brutal thrashing from the nuns.  Very unhappy memories of all things nun related.  They made the monster under the bed feel welcome.  

18 minutes ago, HH_Sailor said:

to eat in the street !

Same here, HH! I got spotted by a prefect out of school at lunch time in my uniform and was sent to the headmaster, who gave me six of the best😟! I was 11...

Little quiz for you, post your answers below.

A bat and a ball cost £1.10 in total. The bat costs £1.00 more than the ball. How much does the ball cost?

If it takes five machines five minutes to make five widgets, how long would it take 100 machines to make 100 widgets?

In a lake, there is a patch of lily pads. Every day, the patch doubles in size. If it takes 48 days for the patch to cover the entire lake, how long would it take for the patch to cover half of the lake?

1. 5ct

2. 5 minutes

3. 47 days

Question: A brick weighs 1kg plus half of its weight. How much does the brick weigh?

Next Question: A room needs to be painted. A craftsman would need 4h, an apprentice 6h. Obviously, two craftsmen would be done in 2, two apprentices would need 3h. How long will it take, when one craftsman plus one apprentice do the job?

16 minutes ago, franklan said:

Question: A brick weighs 1kg plus half of its weight. How much does the brick weigh?

2kg

16 minutes ago, franklan said:

Next Question: A room needs to be painted. A craftsman would need 4h, an apprentice 6h. Obviously, two craftsmen would be done in 2, two apprentices would need 3h. How long will it take, when one craftsman plus one apprentice do the job?

Get a fixed price, does not matter how long it takes :P

54 minutes ago, franklan said:

144 minutes

3 hours ago, franklan said:

1. 5ct

2. 5 minutes

3. 47 days

Memories of 11plus?!

3 hours ago, hooperski said:

Little quiz for you, post your answers below.

A bat and a ball cost £1.10 in total. The bat costs £1.00 more than the ball. How much does the ball cost?

If it takes five machines five minutes to make five widgets, how long would it take 100 machines to make 100 widgets?

In a lake, there is a patch of lily pads. Every day, the patch doubles in size. If it takes 48 days for the patch to cover the entire lake, how long would it take for the patch to cover half of the lake?

a. 5p (1.05 -.05 = 1.00)

b. if all machines are working at the same time, 5 minutes. If machines working one after the other, then 100 minutes. Depends how you read it.

c. 47 days

5 hours ago, franklan said:

1. 5ct

2. 5 minutes

3. 47 days

1. Wrong currency!!!

1 hour ago, RedMidge said:

Memories of 11plus?!

Blimey...good question, Red! I somehow passed the 11plus in the summer of 1963 but I have no idea what the questions were! I don´t even remember preparing for it. But I remember it was a sunny day when I opened the letter saying I´d passed. I screamed in the street.

Dad was at work and mum had flown the nest so I was on my own...didn´t know what I´d passed, methinks.

1. 5ct

2. 5 minutes

3. 47 days

1. 5ct

2. 5 minutes

3. 47 days

Realistic: 6 hours, as the craftsman would sit around drinking tea and rolling cigarettes while letting the apprentice do all the work ;-)

Theoretic: in 12 hours (lowest common denominator), they'd do 5 rooms, so 12/5 = 2.4 hours = 144 minutes, as Krieg already said.

Crete: nobody would turn up for the work on time or the right day or year.

IF, God forbid, somebody turns up..it´s unannounced in our area and the Greek supervisor smokes a cigarette, spreads his legs to show his manhood to the world and shouts at the Albanians!

:o

10 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

Why is the one on the left just 91€ ...   I cant really see a huge difference between the 4 of them apart from the price...

Leftmost one "Has Image Stabilization = No", 

33 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

Thanks... I had spotted that but didnt really think Stabilisation was worth that much.. 

One thing is that it costs more, the other is that as it is a premium feature then they can charge even more for it!

Personally, I don't like Tamron lenses.  I find Sigma are very good, sometimes they are better than the camera Manufacturer and always better value.

I don't know Nikon however as I am a Canon guy.  

1 hour ago, dj_jay_smith said:

Personally, I don't like Tamron lenses.  I find Sigma are very good, sometimes they are better than the camera Manufacturer and always better value.

I as well had only good experiences with Sigma lenses.   They might be "entry level" according to the snobs, but they do the job quite fine.

7 minutes ago, Krieg said:

I as well had only good experiences with Sigma lenses.   They might be "entry level" according to the snobs, but they do the job quite fine.

Sigma do produce some very good lenses.  There new 'Art' range is very good. 

In the past I had a 70-200 2.8 lens from them which was award winning and better than the equivalent from Canon at the time (which cost about 60% more!).  (Canon have since upped there game for this lens, and what they have now is one of their best, but it still costs a lot more).

Sigma in fact win a lot of awards for their lenses.

I more recently purchased a wide angle lens from them, and a super zoom for travelling, and in both cases they rated better in quality and price that there Canon alternatives.

I am happy to pay more for Canon lenses, if they are worth it.  But I won't just buy Canon for the brand name.