Questions you have been afraid to ask... in case you look stupid

2,579 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, Krieg said:

Now I don't know if you are replying positively to my honest C&A question or you are teasing me and the joke is flying over me, I mean with the way you spelt C&A.

Ha ha, no I am not teasing you. CANDA is a clothes range from C&A. Thanks for the information. I will cut off all the labels as you suggested. 

Perhaps the CIA could explain why Lisa's phone set the alarm off:D

Is the dog in the picture to give some sort of scale ... ... ... ... ... or is it far, far away.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DtRvA5aW0AApX8y.jpg

18 hours ago, White Rose of Yorkshire said:

Ha ha, no I am not teasing you. CANDA is a clothes range from C&A. Thanks for the information. I will cut off all the labels as you suggested. 

Well, isn't it a pity when you have a well established brand name, and then somebody invents the internet and its domain naming convention specifically doesn't allow one of the signs you used in your brand name?

In this case the ambersand in "C&A". The ambersand isn't allowed in domain names!

So, as a remedy let's quickly have a new brand in the portfolio called "CANDA" (as in "C and A"), so that people will figure to go to www.canda.com when the want to buy something from C&A.

BTW, it is a rumour that C&A is named after two brothers called Clemens and Anton. It actually stands for the French "Création asociale" and was later adapted to "Cheap and awful" for the English speaking world.

7 hours ago, franklan said:

BTW, it is a rumour that C&A is named after two brothers called Clemens and Anton. It actually stands for the French "Création asociale" and was later adapted to "Cheap and awful" for the English speaking world.

We used to say C&A stands for Coats & ats.

On 4/12/2019, 12:39:17, White Rose of Yorkshire said:

I went straight from work  to a nearby shopping centre today. When I walked in a shoe shop there the alarm went off which was really embarrassing. As I had not bought anything along the way, my bag only contained personal things.  The shop assistant said a label inside my coat could have triggered the alarm. I didn’t buy any shoes and when I left the shop the alarm went off again. As I had some shopping to do, I went to Kaufland which is also situated in the same shopping centre. Luckily, nothing happened when I walked through the entrance of Kaufland. Can anyone explain why the alarm went off in the shoe shop and not in Kaufland and what triggered the alarm?

Back when I used to manage a Walgreens in the US, we had this problem very often with employees. As it turned out, most of them bought their work khakis at Old Navy. Old Navy had the RFD chip sewn into the label inside the back seams of the pants. The easy fix: any employee with the alarm problem had to go sit on the RFD demagnetizer and slide their butt over it once or twice. Problem solved.

How come that Julian Assange was forcibly removed from the Ecuadorian Embassy.

Yet the Libyans responsible for murdering Yvonne Fletcher were untouchable and were given free passage.

Edit.

My point being they forced their way into the Ecuadorian Embassy, but didn't do the same at the Libyan Embassy.   Oil?

11 minutes ago, hooperski said:

How come that Julian Assange was forcibly removed from the Ecuadorian Embassy.

Yet the Libyans responsible for murdering Yvonne Fletcher were untouchable and were given free passage.

Edit.

My point being they forced their way into the Ecuadorian Embassy, but didn't do the same at the Libyan Embassy.   Oil?

Assange had no diplomatic immunity, and the police were invited into the Embassy to remove him by the ambassador. 

Not that they didn't try to get him this status!

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/jan/10/julian-assanges-bid-for-diplomatic-status-rejected-by-uk-government

My two local Shell gas stations had made changes so my original question is not valid anymore:

Shell stations have a new big poster in their pumps saying you can now pay for your gas with their Smartphone App which pays using Paypal, all without having to go inside to the counter.   Just below such poster there is another sign saying you are not allowed to use your mobile phone there.  So how to pay with the App if you can't use your phone?

The signs saying you are not allowed to use your phone were now removed.

On 18.4.2019, 21:13:50, thegreatdivide said:

Is Weinsauerkraut safe for children? 

Could it be that somebody is contemplating to create a new TV-Format called "I'm a child... Get me out of here!"?

When was is deemed normal and acceptable to walk through city centres and shopping malls wolfing down burgers and other fast food.

13 hours ago, French bean said:

When people stopped doing so with Fish and Chips wrapped in old Newspaper

The internet seems to think it was 1985, or at least that there were various rules that should have made it illegal then and presumably most places stopped doing it at or around the point it was illegal.

Well, around the mid 80's was when Reagenomics and Thatcherism was at their height and selfishness became the norm. Remember Harry Enfields 'Loads a' money'? Summed it up really, I don't give a shit about you or anything because I've got cash and I can do want I want. To me it's when selfishness and greed really took over. - The film 'Wall Street' another product of the time.