Questions you have been afraid to ask... in case you look stupid

2,695 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, dstanners said:

However, as our local hunter lives in Belgium and is unlikely to come over today because we're out of season, 

That is odd. As far as I know, he has to be informed and then inspect an accident between a vehicle and a wild animal. How does that work?

@A.N.Other yes, the "correct" way would be to inform the hunter, and get him to inspect the carcass (there are no vehicles involved, this is a fair way from any roads/tracks). However, the hunter does not live locally (sadly, around here all of the areas are parcelled up and auctioned, so the "local" hunter could well be someone from miles away), so the "practical" steps set out in the earlier message were just an alternative to leaving a dead animal and probably poisonous carcass lying around for a few days in an area where lots of people walk dogs.

Well, as the crow (or buzzard) flies, we're only about 20 miles from the Belgian border. We get a lot of rich Belgians and Dutch who like the idea of a bit of occasional weekend hunting with their friends and pay top dollar for a territory here in the Eifel. 

I hope and anticipate this idea of selling to the highest bidder will be revisited, because Johnny Weekend Hunter isn't exactly bothered about maintaining a "balanced" animal population. For example, they are way behind quota for wild boars around here (without even not allowing for the recommended cull), and the population has exploded. Consequently, they are causing significant damage to farmers' crops as they are seeking more and more territory. 

By contrast the neighbouring parcel is managed by a hunter who lives and works (as a hunter) in a nearby village. Their wild boar population is controlled, the farmers crops aren't all destroyed....and most importantly, I get to eat as many wild boar sausages and steaks as I like - a win-win solution!

I went straight from work  to a nearby shopping centre today. When I walked in a shoe shop there the alarm went off which was really embarrassing. As I had not bought anything along the way, my bag only contained personal things.  The shop assistant said a label inside my coat could have triggered the alarm. I didn’t buy any shoes and when I left the shop the alarm went off again. As I had some shopping to do, I went to Kaufland which is also situated in the same shopping centre. Luckily, nothing happened when I walked through the entrance of Kaufland. Can anyone explain why the alarm went off in the shoe shop and not in Kaufland and what triggered the alarm?

The shops use different alarm systems, and you have a tag from a shop that uses the system from the shoe shop, stuck on or in an article of clothing.

Look for a flat square sticker with a metal pattern on the back, they sometimes get stuck to your shoe or the bottom of a bag.

I had that happen once. The shop assistant and I determined it was my phone. Easy to test, you just wave the phone between the sensors while keeping the rest of your body and stuff away.

Really strange and yes, embarrassing

8 hours ago, White Rose of Yorkshire said:

The shop assistant said a label inside my coat could have triggered the alarm. 

Is your jacket/coat from C&A?

1 hour ago, Krieg said:

Is your jacket/coat from C&A?

Now there's a question that I would be afraid to ask somebody. :blink:

If you have pet insurance do you get a courtesy dog when yours goes to the vets ?

@ Pappnase: Thank you for the info, very interesting. Do you know why Lisa's phone set the alarm off?

@Krieg: Yes, there is a C A N D A label on it.

6 minutes ago, White Rose of Yorkshire said:

Do you know why Lisa's phone set the alarm off?

She was stealing a phone case. ;)

19 hours ago, A.N.Other said:

She was stealing a phone case. ;)

busted!

I don't know why it went off.  On the way in, the salesperson suggested it was probably my phone so we tested it.  I can only assume she had seen this before, in that particular store?  It went off on the way out too and they didn't even blink.  Missed opportunity on my part ;)

On 12/04/2019, 19:29:18, White Rose of Yorkshire said:

@Krieg: Yes, there is a C A N D A label on it.

Now I don't know if you are replying positively to my honest C&A question or you are teasing me and the joke is flying over me, I mean with the way you spelt C&A.

The thing is there is some "crossover" of safety labels between different shops and how they mark them as "invalid".  When you buy an item in the shop, they rub the label against a device installed in the counter to mark the label as invalid.  The problem is that sometimes you take one item from one shop with the label that is marked as invalid (meaning you bought the item and paid for it) and the label is wrongly read in another shop and it activates the alarms.  The funny thing is that you can take the item to the original shop and you won't have any problem.

The biggest offender I know used to be C&A some years ago.   Specially when taking the items to a Lidl.

Edit: You can just cut all the labels in the coat off to avoid future incidents.

And I will add that I was being sarcastic when I said I wouldn't ask someone if they were wearing C & A. I have a jacket and other clothes from there.

Blimey, fraufruit..gotta get my eyes fixed... I read you had bought clothes from the CIA!😂