Questions you have been afraid to ask... in case you look stupid

2,695 posts in this topic

Why doesn't anyone seem to see the irony when they tell me: "You ought to ignore what other people say."?

Where do all the chicken thighs go to in Germany. You can buy legs and drumsticks but no thighs - only available if you go to a Turkish supermarket.

They are in göttingen - I can never get drumsticks!

How can I make a euro sign on my computer without always having to google euro and copy and paste?

Obama lives in the white house, Cameron has no. 10, but where the F does Merkel live??

Merkel retains a private rental apartment at Am Kupfergraben 6 in Berlin where she and her husband actually live. The rest of that house consists of offices of a couple companies and organizations and some other flats that are rented by the BKA for her bodyguards.

The Chancellor nominally lives in the Chancellery (the "giant washing machine"), there's an apartment in the penthouse level. Schröder used it during the week, flying to his family in Hannover on the weekends; Merkel doesn't use it. The apartment at the chancellery consists of only a single bedroom with bathroom and semi-integrated kitchen (28m² total) and two large reception rooms (172m² total). The secondary seat for the chancellor is Palais Schaumburg in Bonn, which contains historic elements similar to the White House (e.g. Adenauer's desk). There's a rather ugly early 1960s bungalow in the park surrounding Palais Schaumburg that used to be where the chancellors actually lived (really ugly - Adenauer once said "I don't know who designed that but he deserves at least 10 years (prison) for it"). Erhard, Kiesinger, Schmidt and Kohl lived there. Kohl even beyond his tenure as chancellor, he moved out in 1999. It's currently used for an exhibition and occasional events. A similar separate residence building was planned near the Berlin chancellery too, but was never realized.

Try Alt0128

Result: ’¡²¾

Good try though. My keyboard setting is US - International. I can do umlauts and other accents, but no euro sign. <_<

I checked a few different fonts and it's just not there, and actually none of the ALT codes that are there will work. Huh? This is why I didn't ask the question before. I've tried to find it before and nothing works. It makes it look like I don't know how to use a computer but I swear I do. It's only a year old and running... win... 7... hmm. Oh there it is. On a laptop running Win 7 and using the US - International settings the code is ctrl-alt-5. Durr. €€€€€€. Thanks anyway. :lol:

How/where would a fighter jet's pilot pee during flight/dogfight if s/he has to?

Funny story, when I was in Afghanistan a good friend and F18 pilot was out on a mission and had to poop which he did in his flight helmet and used his undershirt to wipe. He said it took about 15 minutes of careful maneuvering inside the cockpit and didn't pay attention to where he was going and almost ended up crossing the Iranian boarder in the process which could have easily instigated another war :P

True story

weird... did u have to add the US - International keyboard as per the link you provided?

I already had that as my keyboard setting, so I don't know if it works without it.

Where can I purchase a group photo of the Moderation team?

Oh, and the one of Editor Bob wearing his fishnets would look perfect on my bedroom wall!

Is it really legal in Germany to ride your bike on the pavement when there is a perfectly serviceable road (dual-carriageway, speed limit 50kph) mere centimetres away?

I've tried finding this using the search, and I've found loads of "how to find an English-speaking GP in <insert placename>". That's all fine and good, but having found one of those (or -- as in my case -- not particularly caring about linguistic skills), what's next? Do I have to go there to introduce myself? To get registered? Do I need to get stuff sent over from the UK? Bring something else? Or do I just turn up when I'm ill or worried about something medical?

And, ok, I admit it, will they start sticking needles in me when I come in with a sore throat?

Phone (or drop by) and ask if they are accepting new patients. Or just wait until you have a problem and see if the guy is any good then. They won't stick needles into you for no reason.

Why have a lot of my german contacts on fb have split their first name into two i.e. Kla Us, phil Ipp, Anni Ka, Domi Nik?