VDSL modem for T-com 50Mb/s

8 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I just signed up for Telekom's Call & Surf 16000 and got a bit of a surprise.

Setting it up was easy, but I noticed the connection was slow, so I did a speedtest on it and it showed that, in contrast to the 16MB/sec line I'd ordered, it was getting a piddly 0.75MB via wireless. I'd heard that you never get the advertised deal, but only 1/20th?? So a technician did a test on the line and said, wow, you know, the line you have to your building can't handle a 16MB connection, the most we could ever squeeze out of it would be 6, 9 would be pushing it, but you're set up for only 3 and are getting only 0.85. We could try to boost that, but you will never get 16MB. The best you can do if you want consistent fast connection is order VDSL 25 or 50 and that would go over glass fibre, to get around the problem you have now.

I look at the contract they sent me and sure enough, in contrast to the 16MB I thought I'd ordered over the phone, they indeed set me up with only 3MB.

Question: if I go the VDSL 50 route, do any of you know of a modem on the market that will handle that? I have a D-Link 321B modem that has a maximum capacity of only 24MB. My router is a Netgear WNDR3700 - dual band, up to 300MB, really good and I'd like to keep it, but doesn't have a built-in modem.

Does your Netgear router support VLAN tagging? If not, you're pretty limited in the 'modems' you can use, as the packets need VLAN7 tagging to be seen by Telekom. I'm currently on VDSL25 using a Speedport 221 and getting on average 18Mbps. I haven't yet checked if it will handle VDSL50 properly - I get the free upgrade later this week.

PS. Also on VDSL as on ADSL we were only getting 1.5Mbps.

I see the Speedport 221 is up to 50MB and can be used as a bridge to a router or computer.

Which router are you using, or are you cabled directly to the computer?

About the Speedport 221 - are you renting from Telekom or did you buy? Renting just seems not worth it unless you're only using it for a few months.

I use the Netgear FVS318G gigabit switch behind the Speedport, both of which I bought from Amazon. This allows me to patch the network around the house. I suspect that the switch will be a bottleneck on 50Mbps, but to be honest that's OK for a while, as I never expected to be able to move to VDSL50 for free and only went for VDSL25 because of the poor ADSL performance.

Went to a Telekom shop and they told me that if I'd gone directly to them they'd have told me I'd only be able to have max 3MB with ADSL.

They offered VDSL 50 with speedport 723 router thrown in free - well, you get a Gutschein for 70 euro that covers the rental for two years, which is about how long I want to have their service anyway. Thanks for the advice anyway, Guy.

You say in the subtitle that you don't want a Fritzbox, but a Fritzbox 7390 would handle the wifi, routing and modem functionality all in one box with every extra you could dream of.

True, but I was trying to get around having to pay around 200 euro for a new box that seems to have way more bells and whistles than I need. Telekom is supplying the speedport 723V router for the VDSL 50 I've ordered, and we'll see how that goes.

Hi All,

I am on the 'Call & Surf' had similar issue as you so as an engineer proved to Telkom we have a breach of contract as mine too was supposed to be 16 Mbps. A lot of Germanlish exchange happened but I ended up with the VHDL package. I ditched their Speedport modem as this is pants especially with the telephone support and used a Netgear DGND3800B and tested the upload and download speed. My download was then 20 Mbps and upload ~3 Mbps.

That was three years ago. So my suggestion is use www.speedtest.net it is free, get the website to test your service as it also tests your provider for that area and the best for that area. If below par complain, ...who knows what you might get, ...they can only say no once, ...wait we are in Germany they have umpteen ways of saying no! But you know what I mean if below and the contract is for 16Mbps just quote breach of contract as per (German social code) and see what happens.

Telkom have been improving our lines somewhat and today I get a download of 23.07 Mbps and an upload of 4.81 Mbps. I also got confirmation that Telekom is to improve the service to 50 Mbit, which, I have provisionally accepted.

I live in Neufahrn bei Freising and use Telekom (T-Online) anybody got this service and how good is that?