Retort needed against 'Atomkraft nein danke'

339 posts in this topic

mm, that's not really the point i'm trying to make.. thanks anyway

You make it sound like this is a new thing in Germany. The anti-Atomic power thing has been going for around 30 years here. Just because what they have been saying all along has been proved right, doesn't mean it's a new thing.

Song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRc3u0mzSOI

Ok, because i'm really sickened by the hysteria that the Germans have been engaged in since the events in Japan,

You need to do some basic German history research before blowing you mouth off, sonny - Try googling "WAA Wackersdorf" to see what the lefties get up to when they get really pissed about atoms.

As a nuclear 'expat' trying to ply my trade over here, I can still recall (back in the early 80s) when the UK anti's tried a NNT campaign. The response from the industry at that time was (I thought), very funny and to the point. Not as you suggest 'no light' etc, but 'Dark Ages - No Thanks'. What was most memorable were the characters chosen, eg, Cavemen types, roasting sausages over a bare candle etc. Luckily the UK NNT campaign fizzled out (no pun intended) before it got any legs, and therefore so did the 'Dark Ages' fight back, mores the pity. But would be good to see it resurrected in Deutschland.

Kohlenfeinstaub - nein danke (soot from coal)

or you can split that up to

Braunkohlfeinstaub (soot from lignite)

Steinkohlfeinstaub (soot from black coal)

PS. I don't see how the Germans have been 'proved right'. They have been long unconvinced by nuclear power and are now kneejerking. How many force 9 earthquakes does Germany get? It's easy to oppose something, the trick is coming up with a viable alternative (and being able to prove it, rather than just saying so). I also think most do not appreciate what poor cards Germany has been dealt in the natural resources stakes.

Why a slogan? You could post this graphic...

http://sethgodin.typepad.com/seths_blog/2011/03/the-triumph-of-coal-marketing.html

I didn't realize there was such alarm over this.

A family we know in Tokyo have split up for the duration of the crisis: she (pregnant Japanese wife and toddler) has moved to her parents', still in Japan but far from Fukushima. He's "on a business trip" to the office in the US for the foreseeable future.

Chocky I'm with Garry on this. I'm no expert on energy, but the problems we now face are either relying on oil from the unstable Middle East, nuclear energy from (is it fission?) which causes huge waste disposal problems (I understand CERN in Switzerland is working on new forms of nuclear energy which might save us that don't create waste which might end up in the wrong hands).

Germany is screwed as I see it as they all love their cars here, and their other energy source is gas which comes from (ooer missus) Russia. I'd love to see more energy put into solar and wind but I am now sceptical.

Why is there no great push to insulate every home as cheaply as possible everywhere? The unsexy option of energy conservation seems never to be looked at.

On this Chocky, we respectfully do not agree. Nuclear is not the answer.

Maybe the fear in Germany is over-the top-irrational. It's kind of like being afraid of dying in a plane crash, even though you are much more likely to get killed in a car. But on the other hand, as someone above pointed out, we seem to be averaging once a decade for some kind of nuclear disaster. And when something goes wrong, boy does it ever. We're talking a few hundred years damage, if not a thousand. Somehow it just feels like coming up with some kind of witty retort to 'atomkraft nein danke' is rather pointless. I mean anything we come up with would likely just end up sounding like a silly gung-ho 1950's advertisement for the wonders of nuclear energy. Now if you would so kindly excuse me, I'm going to go make myself a tinfoil hat. Nighty night.

C(I understand CERN in Switzerland is working on new forms of nuclear energy which might save us that don't create waste which might end up in the wrong hands).

Reference? I receive the CERN COURIER each month and that would be news to me - its also not their task - CERN is concentrating on operating the LHC.

yeah, so my heroin addiction has given me this big oozing abscess on my arm and I damn near OD'd and everybody's screaming "hey, you got to stop shooting that junk!" but i tell 'em to quit being so hysterical -- you think crystal meth does you any good? I mean, there's no totally safe alternative, so everybody just relax, n'kay? I mean, my dealer, he says the whole thing is just overblown, anyway. accidents happen. whattdya gonna do?