1 Year at a StudienKolleg

28 posts in this topic

I have not found any topic adressing this so far..so if anyone knows of anywhere its already been discussed before,kindly drop me a link here,I'll be grateful. Am currently working towards joining a Uni here and I come from one of the countries where one is required to first study at a StudienKolleg for a year before the actual University starts.

Now,the problem is how far apart these StudienKollegs are spread. The nearest for me,which would be in Munich,would mean a total of more than 300kms driving each day,and that for a year.

I know that it might be the only way out seeing as ofcourse nobody is going to open an extra school specially for me(would they?) but seriously,all that travelling each day is tedious and time consuming not to mention

the obvious elephant in the room-costs! Does anyone know of any alternatives to this,particularly in the Erlangen /Nürnberg area. Am open to all suggestions.

I have researched and found out that the final exam is the Test Daf and provided that one passes that then the Uni zulassung is granted, but I've also heard that there is some extra valuable stuff taught in studienKollegs that might be helpful in the eventual study path.I would love to hear from people who have attended the SK too or know of anyone who has.. Am currently on Niveau B2 on my german if that helps at all.

Thank you!

I was actually there a few days ago and the lady there just said very coldly,'no other way,just munich'. Thats why i made the joke about them opening an extra school for me beause that's the vibe she was giving off(this goddamn foreigner think she gets special treatment or what?)I might be exaggerating but thats exactly the feeling i got. I was very polite to her but I feel like I would have more luck actually speaking to someone who isnt mad about something(whatever she is or was angry about)

Well I know in the US a associates degree is equivalent to abitur. But that takes 2 years and would have to be done back home or via correspondence. I am not aware of any alternatives except maybe if you could test out of some courses.

I was actually there a few days ago and the lady there just said very coldly,'no other way,just munich'.

Not sure what the issue is there really? Students move to where the course they need is (unless they do distance learning). Certainly, in the academic city I live in, people have moved far more than 150km to fulfil their academic dreams, often thousands of miles. Part of the deal, which is probably why she was surprised you might suggest otherwise. Of course everything you want cannot always be on your doorstep.

But - looking positively - a year is zip. It will fly by. If you look at it that way - moving - presumably you would have far more options than Munich. As others have noted (yes, there are other threads on this topic) it is usually best to apply to more than one in order to optimise your chances.

Yes, moving closer would obviously be the way to go. Did they not give you any information on student accomodations in the area?

Have a look at the official website (lists all Studienkollegs in Germany and gives information on the content of the classes). Apparently, in Bavaria there are only two Studienkollegs - one in Munich and one in Coburg. Coburg would be a bit closer, but I think that they might only take people who want to study at a Fachhochschule and not at a university later (not sure - contact them!).

http://www.studienkollegs.de/en/14327/

But is there any reason that you can't just move to Munich or at least a bit closer to Munich?

As to the content of the classes, see:

http://www.studienkolleg.mhn.de/n1_kursangebot_e.html

thanks everyone. i didnt completely blind myself to the fact that i might have to accept the reality, i just wanted to exhaust all hope before giving in :( the problem is that i am a family woman now,married and not sure how i would survive being away from my husband as he works near where we live. so the only option for me,when any alternatives indeed do not exist,is to foot the travel cost to munich each day, I dont know how it will be done but-well we'll see.i might have to sell an organ or two

One more thing.Am 25,am i too old for this, I mean for starting at the beginning. should I just seek other forms of education..Am just very confused and trying hard not to let it show too much :unsure:

Living away from family is surely hard but I think to travel 300km each day for study is much worse.

If I were you I would just move to Munich. One year will fly fast and it's not that Munich won't give you any chance to earn a little extra money either.

The alternative of course would be to find a studio apartment or WG in Munich and stay there during the week, returning to Nürnberg on the weekends and during holidays. Better than driving every day, better than moving completely.

Can you arrange your class schedule so that you don't have to be there every day?

EDIT: looks like the SKs run similar to the Uni schedules, so 15 weeks of classes in summer (end April - end July) and 15 weeks in winter (October - February). Temporary housing during the semesters could be really workable, as Munich has a lot of Uni students and housing set up around Uni schedules. Good luck!

I also had this problem, since my canadian high school certificate was not fully recognised. i did the one year Kolleg in Konstanz, which was also a lot of time for me, since I was also 25. After finishing, I can say that it was well worth it. You get a great refresher course in many areas and that in German. It's worth doing, and it will really help your German for when you actually start studying.

Your best bet would be to get a small apt where you'll study. You should also be able to get Bafög to help you with the costs, unless your wife is making too much.

Your other option is to find out what requirments the university sets for a direct entrance. You could then do them long distance from your home country and when you're done, apply straight to the university. You just need to work on your German or find a Uni that teaches in English.

Good luck!

The alternative of course would be to find a studio apartment or WG in Munich and stay there during the week, returning to Nürnberg on the weekends and during holidays. Better than driving every day, better than moving completely.

thats brilliant..still not able to see my man each night :( , but workable. I dont know if i can arrange my classes to my advantage,i suppose i will find that out when I start.

Your best bet would be to get a small apt where you'll study. You should also be able to get Bafög to help you with the costs, unless your wife is making too much

well i am the wife..i know Tom's a man's name for my username but its just a phrase i like to say,I dont know if we'll get that back,my husband does make a sensible,i would say above average amount so i really dont know,we would have to ask our steuerberator and hope for a positive answer because the costs involved are rather steep considering we didnt expect them..I am already living in Nuremberg,i have checked the uni website among others and even visited the berator-office at the university in erlangen severally but they werent very helpful so thats why i decided to ask here. Thank you very much for your contribution.

Were I went, we had class almost every day and you needed to be there. In other words you can't adjust your schedule at all.

In terms of taxes...your husband probably does the "ehesplitting" which pools your incomes together. In this case, he can claim most of you tuition costs, books and definately your travel costs (i think around 0,30€ per Km). I believe you can even write off a certain amount for the second apt.

To get into the school you also need to write an entrance exam, so make sure you can write german at a fairly understandable level. I actually couldn't write or speak well but I somehow made it in and managed to study BWL here as well.

It's a lot of work but it is definately possible.

Cheers.

Talk to the folks at the "Referat für International Angelegenheiten" (or in English) at Uni-Erlangen. They were quite helpful for me when I first came to Germany... I had a one-year exchange from UGA in Georgia. (Liked it so much I decided to stay!)

As an applicant interested in a regular degree program, they may not be able to help you completely, but it's worth a shot to see what kind of help they can offer you.

Thanks techgirl,I'll call this time and talk to this one lady who as stated there is responsible for advising international degree pursuers. Going there hasnt helped perhaps because I always speak to the wrong people,I havent seen any of the faces on the link the 2 times I've been there,though I was in the international students advisory room.oh well..its worth a shot. thank you loads.

OP- although you would have to take the exams somewhere else in Europe (a cost and inconvenience you may not want), it's possible that you could get direct entry to the University of South Africa. Just another possibility.

umm well,how does that work exactly,University of South Africa..does that mean studying in South Africa hence moving even further(outofthequestion).I didnt quite get on the wagon there..please explain. Or do you mean acquiring antry via University of S.A

thanks.

I thought you might be familiar with UNISA since you apparently are from Tanzania. It's a distance learning institution with very low tuition and its language of instruction is English. It will never be viewed as being anywhere near as prestigious as Uni Erlangen, but it's a solid education. I merely mentioned it because of the inconvenience of attending a Studienkolleg in Munich.

I see. thank you very much for your contribution. The things is,I live in Nürnberg with my husband and the Uni Erlangen is a few minutes drive so after the StudienKolleg is out of the way my whining days are over. But it seems like there is no way out so,just gonna have to wing this one for the one year-that is if i even get in as now it appears that passing the entry exam isnt a guarantee that one gets a place. Oh well..I will definately come back on this post and let everyone know what happened incase there should be someone in the future in my position.Thanks again.