Slackline practice in the English Garden

140 posts in this topic

Hi there,

I always wanted to learn slack-lining. I tried it a few times, but did not get terribly far. So it would be great to join you but I am not yet sure if I am in MUC on Sunday. Can I join you if I am here?

If you are interested to put up the line today (Sat) - PM me.

Maybe see you soon - either in the englishe garden, or in the climbing hall in TK

Horst

Of course, Horst, you're welcome to join any time! You should just check here whether the thing tomorrow is gonna happen or not - if it is, feel free to come and play :) (Sat wasn't possible for me, sorry!)

Anyhow, I'd be happy to do some slacklining tomorrow afternoon - is there anyone out there who's not sick or away and wants to practice? Carla, u still in?

If not, I might be free next Sunday and - as always - happy to do it in a group! ;)

Yes, I'm still in. At 3 sounds good.

Hope to find you between the millions of other people.

See u later :)

ok, I'm almost back to normal again ;) thx for the "gute besserung", oedipa! :)

so count me in for next week 4 sure!!!

have a great start today!!! :)

Hey, BB, glad to hear you're feeling better - looking forward to meeting you next week :)

So, change of plans. New meeting place is the bus station next to Chinesischer Turm (so, on that paved road in Engl. Garten where the buses pass by), at 2:30 pm! After that, we all go find a nice spot and decide where to set up the line. If you find time to check out some youtube videos showing how to set it up, great! I already did, but just in case...

Up until now, this is the list of people coming:

1. Frigitar

2. Carla

3. Oedipa

If you've just read this and wanna join in the last minute, no problem, just be at the bus station at 2:30 pm today:)! I will come riding a black Wheeler MTB. Cell phone number by PM, if needed!

Oh, btw, a friend of mine was so kind to send me links to 2 spots in the EG where it might be convenient to set up the slackline:

http://maps.google.i...001321&t=h&z=20

http://maps.google.i...3,0.000809&z=21

The first one is the spot where people were seen on slacklines already.

See you!

Ok, at 2:30 at the bus stop.

I'll come by bike too.

Watch out for a red-haired girl in black clothes.

See you

Well, hell yeah, we did it! First TT slackline meet-up consisted of 3 TT people and 2 others: first the Green Guy, who was nice enough to come ask us whether we needed any help in setting up the thing (after we spent good half an hour laughing our asses off and trying to figure out what goes where, why, how etc. I might be too humble saying "half an hour", it could have easily been 45 min - thx to Frigitar we had some survival beer to...oh well, survive). So, Green Guy basically set up the whole slackline, after we did it wrong like 2 or 3 times and mostly looked desperate the whole time (frigitar: "I'm an engineer, I have to know how to do this!!"). So we started. After a minute, we unanimously decided that we set it up too high - it was somehow closer to hips than to knees, and even getting on seemed kinda like a suicide attempt. It was briefly discussed whether we should dismantle it and set it up nearer to the ground ("as long as the Green Guy is still there to help us if we fuck up"), but again unanimously decided that we can do it (oedipa: "one gets used to everything in life", frigitar: "I like our attitude!"). Around 4pm, Frigitar - sadly - had to leave us, but shortly after we met another guy (Marvin, if I remembered it correctly) who was also there with his slackline so we just joined forces and continued playing together. We even invited him to TT aka this thread. That's how nice slackliners are to each other! :ph34r: I have to say that the Englischer-Garten-Slackline-Community proved to be very friendly, nice and helpful, and also likes to sit on their slacklines a lot and do nothing (Frigitar: "that's kinda how I imagined our slacklininig to be"). And their slacklines are much more loose than ours was (actually, ours was loose also, but it was trembling so badly that we tightened it - ok, Green Guy tightened it :D - as soon as we got the chance. Without even noticing that so much time has gone by, we said our goodbyes at 6pm and went our respective ways.

Carla, Frig, and Marvin if you see this:), thx for the great day on the line(s) - I enjoyed it enormously!

For newcomers, those who get well, those who couldn't make it today etc: next meet-up is on Sunday, and maybe on Wednesday afternoon, if we'll be up to it, if it's not gonna rain, and if...no, that's basically it.

Oh yeah, and we never needed that crate :D , so my apologies for being so damn stubborn go to all of you;-)

And not to forget - here is the link to some of the photos made today: http://www.dropbox.c...04.11?h=2b3b9c

Wonderful. I had been reading the thread this morning and wondered how you could get on. Like Roby, I had never heard of slacklining. I googled it but the video was much better.

And now the photos .. BRILLIANT. I wish I were in Munich, I would join you - Though it would be more a case of:

post-33471-13024608647748.jpg

with me.

Thx, Orla, that's very sweet of you ;) And regarding the pic... gosh, wish I'd remembered the umbrella!! (btw, we looked pretty funny falling all the time, too, no worries there;) But oh so much fun! Really hope it's not gonna rain on Sunday...

I'd just like to add... for the record..

1)that although we weren't able to get it setup, I was the first to suggest that we get help. I may not know how to swim, but I know how to drown with style B)

2)we had it almost figured it out with NO thanks to the stupid German instruction manual. We'd managed to get the ratchet locked in position around the time that help arrived.

glug glug glug (thats the sound of self respect being refilled :P )

@oedipa: nice snaps! I look like I've gotten the hang of things there... not.

What do you mean "in position"? It was upside down! :lol: And hahahahaha, completely forgot about the German instruction manual! [Carla reading the manual, we both full of hope, with her being German and all] "Carla, what does it say, what the hell does this mean!?" Carla: "uh, no idea, I never use these words" :lol: :F

ooops.. alright I missed the first meetup. count me in for the second one if you people can fit one more absolute-has-no-idea-beginner. well count me in any case. :)

Ok, guys, let's hear ya!

So - if the weather's gonna be nice and sunny, this is the plan:

time: Sunday (17th April), 2.30 pm

place: in front of the bus station on the side of Chinesischer Turm (road that goes from Gisela station towards Isar).

If you're gonna be late: We found a very nice spot on the other (left) side of the bus station, close to the first meadow. You just follow the small road on the other side of the bus station, pass by the kiosk (or whatever that is), cross the bridge that's right next to the kiosk, follow the road for the next 100m (cca) and we should be among the trees on the right. If it sounds complicated, that's because I don't know how to explain it more simply - Frig, Carla, if you can do it better, be my guests! :D

Who's welcome? Everyone! Up till now, we're all beginners, but even if we weren't, everyone's more than welcome to join! Bring a beer, blanket, cookies, another slackline or just yourself and come play, fall down, get up and laugh - absolutely anything goes:)

Who's in?

1. oedipa (+ slackline)

Please, copy/paste the whole message when putting yourselves on the list, so that other people don't need to search for the information in the thread.

If you need my number to find us/let us know you're gonna be late/something else, I'm sending the PM by request.

Now let's keep our fingers crossed for some sun on Sun!

1. oedipa (+ slackline)

2. parky (+ juggling balls, juggling clubs and glow staff)

1. oedipa (+ slackline)

2. parky (+ juggling balls, juggling clubs and glow staff)

3. bumblebee (+ indiaka, beach ball, good mood :)...in case I find u guys)

thx for the link, frig! :idiot when it comes to google maps: You coming this Sun? Bumblebee, Parky, cool that you're in this time:-)!