Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Are hunting blinds ever used for hunting?

18 posts in this topic

During my lunch-time exercise I run past no fewer than 10 of these Hochsitze: an often decrepit jumble of sticks supporting a perch and roof about 5m off the ground. Through forests and fields in our area (Hegau-Bodensee Southern Germany) it seems like there's another one every 500m, but I've never once seen anyone sitting in them. My colleagues didn't have any good ideas. Is there a hunting season when they'll be used? Perhaps a specific time of day? Are they used to simply count deer (as one colleague suggested)? I've never heard any shots fired...

The ones in the woods around here are used regularly, mostly early in the morning or early evening. That would explain why you might not have seen them being used at lunchtime. Deer tend to hide during daylight hours, so theres little point in hunting them.

The whole point is to hide, so why would you see anyone anyway? The hunter is hiding from the animals, so you would not see them either. Poppet is correct too, hunting is done early morning or dusk and certainly not in the Spring when the babies are being born. Fall is hunting season.

I go for walks and runs early in the morning and early in the evening (as well as all other times of the day), and I've seen hundreds of these things - always empty. I've met hunters before, but only driving around. I've never seen one inside the Hochsitze.

I was a Little Lost in the forest 10 years ago and walking along a path in the near dark, heard a grunting coming from above me. As I looked up a torrent of obviously abusive frankisch came from a hochsitz, behind a rifle. To be polite I asked in my best English. " Excuse me is this the best way to Picadilly Circus?" he softened a bit and laughed and I carried on my merry little way

The Hochsitze are used, but mostly at dusk and dawn, as the other have said. In German the verb is ansitzen. A large part of hunting consists in observing deer. A hunter who takes his hobby seriously (sounds a bit like an oxymeron, but that's like it is for many) can talk for hours about how many does with how many fawns where standing or moving where, in a specific hunters' slang. They know how old the deer is by looking at the antlers and in general have got an exact idea of how many deer is in one territory, how many are weak or sick etc, and they are able to recognise the individual deer. As the deer's senses are very developped, one has to be very quiet in order to remain unnoticed. It can even smell humans or dogs over large distances depending on the wind. Hunters actually have to be amateur biologists and ethologists, but this side is often underestimated.

Was talking to a local hunter on sunday. It's Schonzeit (closed season) right now so he's basically observing and repairing stuff. Expect Bambi for dinner in autumn.

The blinds near my house are used very often. Much of the year there is shooting all around me :( We often have herds of literally hundreds of deer.

Several of the blinds are actually located on the edge of the EuroTrail that passes next to my house and a few times my dog was actually shot at! Since he is a cross between a Mastiff and a Ridgeback he is about the same size and color of one of the local deer. I dont think the hunters thought he was one, just that they were mad he was dropping his scent on deer trails that cross the EuroTrail, and would use the excuse that he looked like a deer if they actually shot him. He now wears a brightly colored vest that i have rigged some LED's on.

Now he resembles some sort of giant glowing alien sausage in the dark... prob just as likely to get shot at.

Since he is a cross between a Mastiff and a Ridgeback he is about the same size and color of one of the local deer.

He now wears a brightly colored vest that i have rigged some LED's on.

Now he resembles some sort of giant glowing alien sausage in the dark...

This I would LOVE to see a picture of!

Last Summer, I had a farmer put up a stand in the field behind my house, (Facing my house) barely 50 mtrs. the first week I did´nt think nothing about it, the second week, one evening I was in the garden with my daughter, and I see this guy sittin in the stand with his rifle, (facing my house).

I went out the gate, walked up to him as ask, Was gigt´s? he got pissed and told me I can´t walk in his field, I told him to move his stand. He got pissed and left,

Next nite he´s there again, I told my wife I´m gonna take the dog for a walk, so across the field I go again, Was gigt´s? another argument starts over.

He leaves.

Next day the polizei come to my house and tell me I can´t walk in this guys field, I tell them he has to point his stand somewhere else and not towards my house, They say it perfectly legal, I say OK.

Next nite, you guessed it, he´s there again.

So me and my daughter decided to make a rock band, We got out pots and pans, whistles, and I gave her some hearing protection, and the party started.

for 2 hours we made all the racket possible, he finally got pissed and left

Next day I come home from work, and the stand was gone.

I have nothing against hunters, but, This guy had zero common sense.

Village Idiot

Nice (or not so nice) example of an NIMB (not in my backqyard) attitude.

Way off, Maybe the (not to common) sense leans a little towards you too, V. I.

Try the NPAMH (Not Pointed At My House) attitude

All the Idiot has to do is miss a shot, and it´ll hit my house.

Deer tend to hide during daylight hours, so theres little point in hunting them.

A few minutes ago I could see 5 deer grazing on the field opposite our house & the sun is even shining up here.

Although this is clearly not on the town centre its not the wilds either - with small roads on two sides of said field.

A few days ago there were 9 on the field - I don't believe 4 have met their end...

I suppose I have to agree with Auniquecorn here. I'm from East Tennessee and have many relatives who were/are deerhunters, and my late grandmother had many acres sitting back from the road (read: out in the boondocks) and every deer season was a battle with hunters who didn't respect her many, many PRIVATE PROPERTY signs and attempted to hunt her land. The issue was not that they were hunters- I have and will continue to likely have more deer steak than beef in my freezer- it's that she at any given time had her grandchildren and great-grandchildren running around her property and all it takes is one bullet from a trigger-happy hunter to do serious damage, especially when those kids liked to go running around in the woods. I was one of them, and I never realized how dangerous it was until many years later when my uncle had to run a man off the land after his bullet shattered a rear-facing window in the room we always designated a playroom. Even now, years and years later, we have to keep up ridiculous fences and stuff to keep out hunters who just don't respect the wishes of others to not hunt in an area where kids are present.

The hunter in question was practicing very, very bad courtesy in where he set up his blind. Not only that he was practicing patent idiocy in knowingly trying to keep that blind facing an area where people reside, let alone where kids are at. I usually get very snarky about BUT ITS MY SNOWFLAKE parents, but a hunter who would willingly keep his blind facing an area where kids are known to be present is really rude, and potentially a danger.

We have lots of hunting in the woods around our place. The hunters will usually post someone at the entrance to any paths into the woods to warn us off when they are hunting a particular area, which I appreciate. The woods are not private property and the paths are often used as shortcuts to get from one village to another, or for people walking dogs, jogging, riding bicycles, etc. A few times I have wandered by a blind with my dogs only to hear cursing from up above me. Obviously the guys were upset that my dogs likely scared away any wildlife, but that's the way it goes. If they don't let me know then I refuse to feel guilty for spoiling their evening or making them move on to another area.

For safety reasons, I have a bright red jacket and have a flashlight on a headband which I switch on as soon as it starts getting darker. And my dogs always stay on leash in the woods.

50m from your house? That is the dummest thing I've ever heard. A stark contrast to your solution - genius.