Good Gymnasium schools in Munich

16 posts in this topic

My sister is looking for a Gymnasium for her 14 year old son in Munich. He went to Maria Theresia and it wasn't a good experience so she wants another one than that. As I went to an all-girls school and my brother's Gymnasium wasn't all that my parents hoped for (Werner von Siemens), I am turning to you Toytowners for help, because I figured there are probably a bunch of you who have kids in public schools in Munich.

My nephew is a German native speaker (though of 3/4 immigrant background) and in 7th grade. He has ADD and has behavioral problems (takes ritalin) but he does well in school (better than I did at his age!).

My sister would prefer a school that has an afternoon program (i.e. where the kids do their homework and study) or an all-day school that will give him a good structure. He is taking English as his first foreign language and French as his second foreign language and is in the naturwissenschaftliche Zweig. Preferably the Gymnasium should be centrally located.

I realize that a lot of a child's experience in school is down to their teachers, not the school per se, but I hope to get some advice/tips from you guys anyway.

Thanks a lot in advance, I really appreciate it.

Hi,

your sister might want to check out the Studienseminar Albertinum

http://www.albertinum-online.de/cms/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=14&Itemid=27

If you/your sister don't mind that the agency is the catholic church...

It's related to two Gymnasiums next by, whereat the Erasmus-Grasser-G. is naturwissenschaftlich.

Not in the center though, but near Westpark.

Good luck!

Thanks. My sister is Catholic, so I am sure she wouldn't mind. I'll pass on the information to her.

Another option might be the Günther-Stöhr gymnasium in the St.Anna Verbund. It's also Catholic but a very good system with small classes and a caring staff. Though the languages are English, Latin then French. But you didn't say what grade he is in so maybe he could make up the Latin and redo French?

He's in 7th grade so he's finishing up his second year of French. To be honest, I'm not sure he could do that because he had to re-do 5th grade already so my sister would probably want to avoid any risk of him failing a grade again. I'll mention it to her though. Thanks. :)

I should probably also mention that my sister cannot afford a private school for him so it will have to be a public one or one that doesn't charge tuition (just saw on the St. Anna website it's a private school).

St. Anna also offers scholarships, but the language selection probably rules it out anyway. Gisela and Willi-Graf in Schwabing would fit the NTG profile, but they have made it very clear that they are inundated with applications and only kids who live near will probably get a slot.

Could he possibly change to a parallel class instead of changing schools? Sometimes a change of teachers and classmates can make a world of difference. There have been two kids who changed into my oldest son's 7th grade class for that reason. It may be easier than changing schools.

Eithout going into further details, he is not currently in a school in Munich but moving back to Munich, so just switching classes is not an option. He is fine in the school he is in currently but staying is not an option due to the move.

She might have a look into Isargymnasium. It's private, but with "staatliche Anerkennung", they have a full day curriculum. My daughter attended the ISAR-Hauptschule, and I was very happy with the system of the school.

Hi Mariposa!

Would you care to tell us which school is it? The reason I am asking is that my son is in Maria Theresia and I am not particularly happy about the school.

I don't want to post about it publicly to protect my nephew's privacy but I'll send you a PM. :)

Hi, for anyone who may be wondering, my nephew ended up going to Erasmus-Grasser-Gymnasium. He has since moved to Realschule though, as he failed a grade and didn't want to repeat the whole year, which is why I feel comfortable sharing this information publicly.

On 23/02/2014, 20:07:16, Mariposa said:

Hi, for anyone who may be wondering, my nephew ended up going to Erasmus-Grasser-Gymnasium. He has since moved to Realschule though, as he failed a grade and didn't want to repeat the whole year, which is why I feel comfortable sharing this information publicly.

Erasmus-Grasser-Gymnasium's  5 grade  this new school year has. 6 classes , some  classmates of my son choose this school, but my too boys  I chose ludwigsgymnasium for them,  because  it is no.2 oldest school and with good Abitur result. affording to history. 

However, living in the uk before, has little experience about German school,   now  I wonder if I choose right school for two boys, they are very good at  maths,  but not good at latin.  the first latin  test result was. 5 terrible..   It seems that It is not possible to change to  Erasmus-Grasser-Gymnasium.   Erasmus-Grasser-Gymnasium  has huge amounts of children and classes. 

My  neighbour , also my song's good friend. is in Feodor-Lynen gymnasium,  a better area than Ludwig's location.  but this school is quite new school , found in 1977 and also 6 class they started French already. my son this year start  latin and  next year is French.  different type schools

Das Feodor-Lynen-Gymnasium ist ein naturwissenschaftlich-technologisches und wirtschaftswissenschaftliches Gymnasium

Das Ludwigsgymnasium München ist ein humanistisches und neusprachliches Gymnasium

Ludwig's  has  23 girls  and 7 boys in the class and. fedora. liner is completely  opposite, has more boys and little girls. 

My boys like to play with boys. 

God, it looks like I did make a worse. choose for their future.

btw, my son ' s finger is badly squeezed. between the heavy door. by his closed friend. in the Ludwig's. cause of the schools'.wrong rules.

Feodor-Lynen gymnasium  has 19 boys and 11 girls in the class, 

The location is good, most staff of hospital live in this area