Dental care under AOK

22 posts in this topic

Hello there.

I am stuck with AOK (grrrr) for the next months, and I want to go to the Dentist for a "professional" dental cleaning. Now, it's the first time I will be doing it, so I don't know how much it costs, and how much of it (if at all) AOK will cover.

I tried searching their site, but dear lord is it horrible!

Does anybody have some more information, or know where I can get it? I would prefer avoiding actually talking with AOK. They are just not helpful. They don't respond to e-mails, and people in the call-center are clueless (as am I).

Thank you!

From the AOK Ratgeber forum

Die AOK übernimmt einmal pro Jahr die Entfernung des Zahnsteines. Diese Kosten können direkt über die Krankenversichertenkarte durch den Zahnarzt abgerechnet werden.

Eine Zahnreinigung ist nicht im Leistungskatalog der gesetzlichen Krankenversicherung vorgesehen.

So they cover a yearly check up with tartar removal etc but you have to pay the professionelle Zahnreinigung yourself. Costs can vary. Just call up your dentist and ask how much it would be.

Thank you westvan!

I hate AOK. Can't understand why I'm paying so much money every month.

Well, rania.pap: all the public health insurers are ( give or take 8 euros a month ) the same in price and mostly the same in cover. A cleaning costs between 30-50 euros at my dentist´s anyway.

For the future, you could either take out a top-up dental insurance or, if you qualify , consider the option of private health insurance with better dental cover.

Whether the latter is the right way to go depends on many other factors, though , and I would always recommend seeking out the help of an independent insurance broker to consider the pros and cons and /how/which/how much etc with you.

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

I hate AOK. Can't understand why I'm paying so much money every month.

It's health insurance, not cosmetic insurance. It covers you if you get cancer, heart disease or a broken leg, that sort of thing, not dull teeth.

Well, rania.pap: all the public health insurers are ( give or take 8 euros a month ) the same in price and mostly the same in cover. A cleaning costs between 30-50 euros at my dentist´s anyway.

For the future, you could either take out a top-up dental insurance or, if you qualify , consider the option of private health insurance with better dental cover.

Whether the latter is the right way to go depends on many other factors, though , and I would always recommend seeking out the help of an independent insurance broker to consider the pros and cons and /how/which/how much etc with you.

Can I have his number, the fucker here charged me 100 euro lol.

I just asked my husband (who goes to a different dentist than I do) how much he pays and he also said around €30, but I have heard of it being €100 or even more. I wonder how they justify that?

I have no idea, but I will be finding a new dentist.

They told me they charge for the time 80-100 euro.

I thought it should be covered as it was treatment for gum disease and not cosmetic in nature, I needed the infected pockets cleaned.

I thought they charged more as a deep cleaning, but she said no that is the standard cleaning rate.

@ post above - ewwww.

mine charges €62 or thereabouts. it hasn't fluctuated in years so I figured that is fair.

I read somewhere just recently that a proper clean should not cost more than €60 - €70. If they charge more they are ripping you off. I wish I could remember where but it was an authoritative source.

AFAIK the difference is if they clean the teeth all the way down to the "Zahnfleisch"/gums or if, as some suggested, they also remove the concrements which is the hard and dangerous stuff which builds up in pockets below the teeth and between gums and teeth. The latter will be more expensive... My wife, who goes 3 times a year for dental cleaning pays more like 60-80 EUR each time and myself, who has to be dragged to the dentist (even though I consider mine to be a friend, but I rather meet him outside his professional place for a drink than inside, I admit) who goes once or twice a year at best pays usually 100-120 EUR each time.

Many private insurance tariffs cover that, btw.

Cheerio

I am a professional independent insurance broker, financial adviser, and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

Well, in Germany, the dentist can 'delegate' the treatment to 'unqualified' people!

That is what you pay your 60€ for.

But a Proper Dental Cleaning is NOT covered by Kasse, but by Private insurance (usually 80-100%).

If you are only paying 30-60€ I would question the 'quality' of work, since in this country most 'girls' in the office can do this treatment with nothing more than a 8 hour 'training'.

Yes, I use quotes, because after working as a Registered Dental Hygienist, it still bothers me, that people think for 50€ they are getting quality, when the people doing the work are not trained! Ask the 'girl' where she got her training! If in Germany, then she is not a qualified Dental Hygienist, and should not be doing an work below the gumline.

There is a huge difference between a 'zahnstein entfernung' and a 'zahnreingung'.

In Munich 'unqualified' assistants are charging between 100-400€ per hour!

Question where they are trained, and how much training they have! Prophyassistants are suppose to do so many hours of 'pratical' work in an office.... question is, are one of their guinea pigs? There is NO clinical exams for any of these 'girls' doing the treatment!

There are only about 100 'Qualified' Dental Hygienists in Germany, the rest are not trained near as well and have not done any exam work to show competency in the profession.

But it is your mouth and your money! Is your mouth not worth it?

I pay 80 € for a cleaning. It usually takes at least 45 min., includes the sonar cleaning, then polishing, and then a flouride treatment.

Because of gum disease, they usually do a deep gum treatment on me once a year too, which the TK insurance covers.

I have an AOK insurance and i visited a dentist around 3 months ago for the dental checkup. He told me the cleaning cost would be around 70-80 Eur.  But i heard from a friend that a yearly tooth cleaning should be covered by AOK, but he doesn't have precise information about it.

Also as i already visited the dentist 3 months ago should i also pay for the appointment itself besides the cleaning cost?

Thanks

The regular yearly check up where they remove tartar and plaque is covered, but AOK does not cover the so-called professionelle Zahnreinigung which involves much more - cleaning, polishing, fluoride treatment etc.  My dentist also charges around 80 EUR for that and our BKK insurance doesn't cover it.

Professionelle Zahnreinigung AOK

I am insured with TK. Do I need to pay for teeth cleaning because of bacterial infection? 

The Dr is charging 85 EUR? 

And I read that I am entitled to 2 visits to the dentist in a yr