Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

International version of BBC iPlayer

7 posts in this topic

Todays Guardian is reporting that the BBC will launch an international iPlayer iPad app later this year, according to director general Mark Thompson.

He said the global version of the corporation's online catch-up service for iPads will launch "definitely this year", adding that it will cost, "a small number of dollars per month, definitely fewer than 10".

The international iPlayer iPad app will also give subscribers access to BBC archive programming.

Full link here

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/mar/02/bbc-global-iplayer-app?INTCMP=SRCH

For me it's a personal choice thing, if someone allows me to pay for their work and I value that work then I will.

At the moment the BBC won't take my money and so I have no real moral issue with people(Myself included) watching for free. It's pretty much as close to a victim-less crime as I can imagine, and I can't really see this app making me feel that different about that.

However personally I think the BBC is a valuable thing and the iPlayer a great resource, so once they have a legitimate way for me to pay for content I probably will.

I've been surviving off Youtube channels till recently, and I miss UK Gold which I watched like mad in the UK. Is all the old stuff like Fools and Horses, Porridge, British comedy on it?

Why pay 10 when you can get it for free?

Is it not worth 10 quid to avoid all the irritating hassle of pissballing about with proxy servers, TOR gateways, setting up firefox proxy patterns etc.?

If you just wanna watch iplayer on your computer at home, then OK, setup is easy. Wanna watch it on multiple different devices around the house, but also out and about? That is hassle. I'd pay 10 quid anyday. Cheaper than a VPN service.

Reportedly, the international version will only have a limited range of programmes á la BBC Prime, rather than being the same version available in the UK. So says YL6, who first reported this development on Toytown over a year ago.

Hmm... it would be worth it for the whole iplayer output, but not a limited selection.

^^ Agree with above. When I first read this report, I immediately thought there goes €10 well spent. I would pay that money each month for access to the BBC. That is, full access.

But sorry, to pay that for a cut down, limited version is a waste of money.

If this really comes out as the full version, then I will sign up immediately. Otherwise I will go via a proxy.