Dual citizenship- traveling from the US to Germany

68 posts in this topic

Maybe just ask the "Bundespolizei" what to do? Their hotline is 0800 6 888 000. If I were you though I´d rather fork out for an express passport to be on the safe side.

19 hours ago, Elfenstar said:

Your child's passport is valid until it expires (that sounds stupid, I know). Sure, she's not a baby anymore, but it's still a valid form of ID.

Here is the German law that makes this not true:

http://www.gesetze-im-internet.de/pa_g_1986/__11.html

Ein Paß oder Paßersatz ist ungültig, wenn

er eine einwandfreie Feststellung der Identität des Paßinhabers nicht zuläßt oder verändert worden ist
A passport is not valid if it does not allow for a perfect determination of the identity of the passport holder [not sure how to translate exactly the last bit, maybe - or it has been changed]

Of interesting note, in the USA, a similar law makes a specific exclusion of children:

Under the last submenu: "If the appearance of your child under the age of 16 has changed due to the normal aging process, you do not need to apply for a new passport for him or her."

On 11/23/2016, 3:25:28, IroniedesSchicksals said:

... I found this, though I don't know it's original source:

"Babys und Kleinkinder verändern sich rasend schnell in den ersten Lebensjahren. Was viele nicht wissen – wenn Ihr Baby, Kleinkind oder Kind zum Zeitpunkt Ihrer Reise keine Ähnlichkeit mehr hat mit dem Lichtbild im Pass, dann kann es sein, dass der Pass nicht mehr akzeptiert und für ungültig erklärt wird. Achten Sie also unbedingt auf dieses Detail und lassen Sie das alte Passfoto rechtzeitig gegen ein aktuelles austauschen (Kinderreisepass) oder beantragen Sie rechtzeitig einen neuen Pass (ePass und Personalausweis)"

from here: http://www.lsb-berlin.net/fileadmin/bilder/lsb-redakteure/Vereinsberatung/Ausweisdokumente_fuer_Kinder.pdf

Sounds like you have the answer you need, so what are you waiting for, go out and get your kid a new German passport? Why risk it? I'm no expert, can only tell you my personal experience, but we didn't get a Kinderreisepass because we felt it would be useless. I don't know if such a thing exists elsewhere in Europe or the world? We're a mixed couple and we knew if we ever traveled, we'd probably leave the EU to do so we didn't bother.

The Kinderreisepass is valid everywhere except for the US. If you look here: http://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/DE/Laenderinformationen/Uebersicht_Navi.html, it tells you what countries accept for entry, and all the ones I've checked accept the Kinderreisepass. You're wasting your money by getting a regular passport unless you need it for the US. With a US or Canadian citizen, it's moot anyway.

Hijack.

I will travel to the UK with my eldest daughter later this week.

I planned to only use her new UK passport to leave DE and enter the UK, but now I am unsure whether I am better using her DE to leave DE and her UK to enter and leave the UK?

I only have a UK passport (although I am working on changing that), and I wondered about us turning up at the border control with different passports.

Also I booked using her UK passport details but I think that is not relevant for the passport check.

Any tips for this, our first trip without Mama and sister and first trip with her new UK passport? 

I don't think it matters within the EU. You can take her birth certificate along for proof of the familial relationship, and a letter from the mother authorizing you to travel outside the country with your daughter.

On 7/10/2017, 9:49:25, bobD said:

...I planned to only use her new UK passport to leave DE and enter the UK, but now I am unsure whether I am better using her DE to leave DE and her UK to enter and leave the UK?

I only have a UK passport (although I am working on changing that), and I wondered about us turning up at the border control with different passports.

Also I booked using her UK passport details but I think that is not relevant for the passport check.

Any tips for this, our first trip without Mama and sister and first trip with her new UK passport? 

Don't make it more complicated than it is. Exit with the German passport, enter the UK with the UK passport. My son and I also have 2 different passports, but we were told he had to check out of the country with his German passort. But get that letter from the mother ASAP with permission to travel alone with your child.

Well either I was lucky or you are all a bit nervous.

We both travelled only on UK passports. Only question came as we entered Germany as I was asked if she was mine.  A quick look confirmed that and off we went. 

Next time we might take both.

I baulk at talking a letter from my wife. She didn't need one from me when she took both kids to Poland. I guess there are unscrupulous parents stealing kids and taking them across difficult borders but it seems a bit unnecessary in the EU.

Anyway thanks for the tips.