Beer & Brewing enthusiasts' Homebrewers meeting

821 posts in this topic

While we're waiting, did any of you see this guide to Munich pubs before - Munich Pub Guide on www.europeanbeerguide.net. I have no idea who maintains it, Ronald Pattinson I'd guess, but it's really very good despite him saying beer served by the mass is a 'downside' :o . I got the link first from some tourists I happened to bump into in the city centre who had the old link printed out. Very organised.

Okay, so where do we stand for the meetup?

Looks like if we do it this Friday we pick up Erik.

Bob and I are good as well.

That leaves Helles, Brian, Ricardo and Anvay.

What say you boys?

So it looks like Helles is out (trying to keep his brew to himself? <_< ) no matter which date we choose and so far all but Anvay have said it's okay. I think this coming Friday it is then. I'll call the Wirt and let her know.

BTW, I was thinking of doing the blind taste test we talked about last time.

I'm thinking of somewhere between 3 and 6 different beers all of the same style and we'll see who can tell which is which and also simply pick your favorite.

If you guys are up for it we can meet at my place (right next door to the Hüttn Wirt) at maybe 6:30 to give it a go.

See you Friday!

Tim

ok, this friday it is.

great idea on the taste test, do you need cups or anything? maybe disposable plastic cups so you can put numbers on them and not get mixed up?

Bob

Hi all,

How do we organize Tim's suggestion. Without taking his Organizer mantle, I think we need to sign up for the blind tasting and pick a beer type so we all bring the same beer (even I can distinguish münchen helles from IPA), and sufficient quantities (at least one liter??). Another caveat... they have to be at the same temperature. Tim, what should we bring? signup sheet?

So, should we simply try the different Münchener Helles varietals?

If so then don't worry about bringing any, I can easily have them all on hand and chilling at the same temp.

I've got plenty of glassware as well. We already did this with vodka so I have the whole set up ready to go.

Just let me know who is in and I'll be sure to have enough on hand.

I am in as well and can pay you back for any expenses. It sounds like a fun idea to test the Munich Helles beer (I have always wanted to do this myself)! I don't expect that I will be able to tell the difference between any of them, but it will be interesting to see which one I like best.

Cool, I'll have it all set up and ready to go at 6:30.

If anyone has trouble finding it... then you shouldn't be drinking so early in the day!

...and you can give me call: 0173 768 0173

See you all then

Damn it you guys, that's an awesome plan for Friday. And I have nightshift. Typical. Unless you guys are still going at it at 7am Saturday morning, I'm out this Friday as well. Truly sorry bout that.

More beer for everyone else though. Enjoy!

Even though due to my 'Germanness' I will probably kick your guys' butts I would like to participate in the competition if girls are also allowed.

alex

PS Just so you know Bob is already practicing and has all 6 Helles lined up on the table...

Even though due to my 'Germanness' I will probably kick your guys' butts I would like to participate in the competition if girls are also allowed.alexPS Just so you know Bob is already practicing and has all 6 Helles lined up on the table...

Your "Germanness" doesn't scare me Alex (okay, maybe a little bit) but, either way bring it on! Girls, guys, dwarfs, weirdos, left handed people... the Dutch... all are welcome!

*edit: BTW Bob, tuning your taste buds beforehand is Bush League!