Where to buy a menstrual cup (DivaCup etc.)

45 posts in this topic

I agree with linmor's post that these things are among the greatest non-technical inventions of all time. Nothing to add to her description. Turns out they are available in Germany, just ask at the Apotheke counter for them by brand name. Available in I've-never-given-birth-vaginally-and-I'm-under-30 Size 1 or Size 2 for the rest of us.

Well worth the investment.

I have used a menstrual cup for over 15 years now. Brilliant invention. On cup number two after all these years. So now I am hitting the menopause and have been bleeding constantly for the last month, (yes I have an appointment with the gyno but you have to wait weeks for an appointment in this neck of the woods) the cup has had constant use. Never had an issue with pong until now. Suddenly it has the most shockingly offensive medieval vile smell. I have scrubbed, boiled and soaked in alcohol and it still reeks. I have the impression the silicon has been attacked by the stink-inducing bacteria. Seems a shame to have to invest in cup number 3 just when it will cease to be of use.

Any experience out there?

49 minutes ago, optimista said:

I have used a menstrual cup for over 15 years now. Brilliant invention. On cup number two after all these years. So now I am hitting the menopause and have been bleeding constantly for the last month, (yes I have an appointment with the gyno but you have to wait weeks for an appointment in this neck of the woods) the cup has had constant use. Never had an issue with pong until now. Suddenly it has the most shockingly offensive medieval vile smell. I have scrubbed, boiled and soaked in alcohol and it still reeks. I have the impression the silicon has been attacked by the stink-inducing bacteria. Seems a shame to have to invest in cup number 3 just when it will cease to be of use.

Any experience out there?

Not your question, and I know that medical advice is usually not solicited online, and IAMAD, but if during perimenopause you have bleeding heavy enough between your periods to need a cup or tampon, I would not accept the standard receptionist referral for an appointment weeks out.  I would present in person to the doctors office and make clear that you are not coming in for a regular checkup but for evaluation of unusual symptoms, and request an earlier appointment.  Sorry if this is undesired advice.

second the advice to get your appointment bumped up - that sounds like an infection - nothing to mess with!

even in Munich, my doc will squeeze me in same day for anything that even *might* be an infection.

also: ladies is an opt-in forum and you have to "apply" for it.  So not as helpful for those not opted in.  And also, while I personally find the cups a little gross and weird, I opened the thread anyway out of curiosity, and because I fancied a bit of gross and weird in my life at the moment I guess.  In other words, what Lisa said.

7 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

second the advice to get your appointment bumped up - that sounds like an infection - nothing to mess with!

even in Munich, my doc will squeeze me in same day for anything that even *might* be an infection.

Again, not interject too much unasked for medical advice, but excessive perimenopausal bleeding could (in a small % of the time), be a symptom of cancer.  Which is not to say that it's likely to be that in Omptimista's case, merely to point out that even in Germany, most medical offices have built in buffers in their appointment systems to offer short term appointments to people showing symptoms that need to consulted on promptly.  

sometimes, yes, but one of the highlights of perimenopause is completely unexpected, bizarre and excessive bleeding just due to hormonal swings. The office may view that as "normal" (as it is so common!) and not take it so urgently. 

"infection" is more sure to get her in the door.  and it's not even overblown to think that it could be an infection, possibly a serious one.  cups can also increase risk of toxic shock syndrome, which can be deadly, among the more mundane types of infection.

Personally I would not use the cup any more until you go to the doctor and find out what's going on. What Lisa13 said about toxic shock risk is true, and if you suspect the smell may be due to bacteria, which certainly sounds possible, it might not be a good idea to use any cup. If the onset of the odor was sudden, something has changed and not for the better, so a new cup would presumably get contaminated too. Switch to pads temporarily. The pads are disposable and can be changed frequently. You could always go back to the cup, and get a new one if necessary, once you've cleared up whatever is wrong.

OK thanks for the wise advice, unsollicited or not still very welcome. Where I am is a desert when it comes to medical appointments... vive la France. To the gents who think this should not be discussed in public and on the ladies forum only I would say familiarise yourselves with the menopause and its issues - and no it is not just a made up excuse to get out of being sparkling and dynamic 24/7 as my hubby and many others choose to believe - because half the population is gonna go through this and you WILL be affected unless you live in a monastary. It is 2018 and women's health should not be taboo and hushed up. Nor should you blush about your prostates. Had a check lately? And menstrual cups- still unknown in many parts - are the one thing I would willingly and enthusiastically sell. Any publicity is good publicity.

Having scoured the internet I am sure it is a fungal thing - unmistakeable olfactory clues. Thank God for yoghurt. Seems to be a well known issue and the answer has turned out to be sunlight. Not the washing-up stuff but UV rays. Cup is hanging on the rose-bush in full sun-shine and the pong is already gone. Bingo! Fungi like it dark and moist.

(The workmen are in and if any of them dare to ask what that strange fruit is on the rose bush I may turn it into a treasure hunt thing and offer them a bottle of bubbly if they actually know or can find out themselves.:ph34r:)

1 hour ago, optimista said:

I would say familiarise yourselves with the menopause and its issues - and no it is not just a made up excuse to get out of being sparkling and dynamic 24/7 as my hubby and many others choose to believe

amen.  and the same goes for the ladies who are heretofore (blissfully?  may it be forever so) ignorant of the realities of menopause.

my whole life I was basically told "oh you'll have hot flashes and maybe be a little moody"  HA!  if only it were so simple.  Come to find out, the very same women who sold me this bill of goods had torturous symptoms running the gamut from simple hot flashes to gutting depression, several had to have hysterectomies (for fibroids which tend to take off just prior to menopause), and often permanent urinary and sexual dysfunction (because they received no treatment for vaginal atrophy, as hey, it's "just" the menopause)

For many women, it's really not simple at all and so far it still seems society at large is none the wiser.  I'm still pissed that there is essentially no "menopause education" in the same vein we get as youngsters when it comes to "puberty education".  Heck, even many doctors seem woefully undereducated on the topic.

ok rant off ;)

glad you found an interim solution optimista and I hope you come through with a clean bill of health!

Indeed, indeed Lisa. Menopause. Unmentionable. I thought your periods stopped, not that you bled for weeks at a time... it is just not the done thing to discuss this stuff. Too yucky, too icky. Even for our mothers and sisters.

I would have gone with bacterial vagnosis, just by the smell. When ignored for weeks it can become quite noticeable :-S (speaking from experience...) As you probably know it's not dangerous per se, and over the counter remedies can help, but if it's really established you might need a course of antibiotics.

As for the permanent bleeding, I've twice (at the GP, I'm in the UK, so no gynaecologists for me unless I wait two months) turned up on day 8 or so of soaking through my tampons and was prescribed hormones to cut this short and to sort of reset the cycle. Worked like a charm. I think I had problems twice in three years of (peri)menopause, it might be worth asking your Allgemeinarzt about it, they might be able to help. (I've seen since a Gynaecologist twice and nothing of worry was found.)

As for "vaginal atrophy",  we had to add to/replace the pre-menopausal condoms with the (I'm almost, but not 100% done with menopause) the post-menopausal lubricant. (Given that I am only almost done, it's both right now. Not the height of romance, but better than the alternative.)

yeah, funny enough vaginal atrophy is not just about "dry vagina", though it's often oversimplified into those terms.

please read up on it.  It is the only menopause "symptom" that continues beyond the first few years, and it tends to get progressively worse over time, whence it can become a lot more serious than being "dry".  It's a gift that keeps on giving ;)

there are very low risk, localized, hormonal treatments that are very effective in keeping your hoohoo happy and functional for many years to come.

Hope the bleeding stops soon and that your gynaecologist can sort it out.

Please be careful using menstrual cups. I know they are much safer than tampons regarding toxic shock, but if it smells bad, please get a new one! It really is not worth the risk. Toxic shock syndrome is very dangerous! Maybe use pads until you see your gynaecologist?

Toxic shock.  I was working as a medical transcriptionist in 1980 and found myself working on a dictation about a young woman brought in with what was diagnosed as toxic shock syndrome, a new term to me.  As I typed the report from the ER physician, I thought how scary this must be for the woman and her husband.  The second report was from the OB/GYN called in to see the patient in the ER, and I began to think how the couple would talk and laugh about this experience when she was released from the hospital.  The third transcription followed her short course to death.  I was devastated when I finished typing. 

Thank goodness the cause - a particular tampon worn more than a few hours - was discovered and publicized.

On 3.9.2018, 15:46:18, optimista said:

Seems a shame to have to invest in cup number 3 just when it will cease to be of use.

I saw one today on offer at Kaufland from today onwards, and Aldi sell them as well for €8,99 from Olivia.

https://www.aldi-sued.de/de/angebote/angebote-ab-do-209/detailseite-kw3818-do20092018/ps/p/olivia-menstruationstasse-20092018/

https://www.kaufland.de/prospekte.html