Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Quickest way to Freising from Munich Airport

29 posts in this topic

Greetings!

My wife and I will be making our first (my first, her 14th) visit to Hungary in the Spring. We arrive in Munich at 08:05 and I would like to take her to Freising for a little Weisswurstfruhstuck at Braustuberl Weihenstephaner. We have a maximum of a 7 hour layover. So a nice, relaxing visit is in order.

So what is the quickest and most reliable way to get to the Braustuberl from the Airport? We have NO intentions or desire to rent a car.

Thanks in advance!

Daniel

There is a frequent direct bus, #635 which runs every 20 mins throughout the day

get a partnertageskarte for €9,40 or so which will cover both of you

Yep, it's only a 15-minute journey. Just follow the Bus signs in either T1 or T2. From the station in Freising it's a pleasant 20-minute stroll up the hill (via the Weihenstephaner Fußweg - decent map).

Partnerkarte Aussennetz is the precise ticket you need.

Thank you very kindly.

Would it be safe to say the 635 bus drops off and picks up with some proximity to the Braustuberl? I have been there before, but did not need to use the buses at that time.

Again, thank you.

Again, I thank all of you kindly.

We land at 08:05 and I was hoping to be at the Braustuberl for 10:00, hang out for a relaxing couple of hours and head back to the airport around 12:00 or 12:30.

Any reason to think that would not allow enough time to get back through security and all?

The bus will drop you off at the Freising train station. There you can easily get a taxi if you dont want to walk that far or dont trust your sense of direction. It´s not that easy to find. Some of the roads are quite small and some paths arent even on the google map. A printout of the OpenStreetmap might be more helpful, as it does also include the paths (dotted lines). Just recently I had to rescue an asian student who got lost trying to reach Weihenstephan hill. (You´d think a hill wouldnt be to hard to find. ;) ) Walking back from Bräustüberl to the train station (maybe including a short visit to our Dom =Cathedral) might be easier and enough exercise for one morning.

If I could just get the bus to drop us at the bottom of the hill, at Voettingerstr. and Weihenstephaner Berg, I would be all set. :rolleyes: I know how to get there from THERE. I stayed with Hotel Lerner during my last visit in 2006.

at Freising you can wait 20 mins and take the bus 638 and get off at Weihenstephan.

But, as the other posters said, yud walk it in 20 min anyhow (but if bucketing rain the bus might be a good option to have as a backup).

Just get back to the Airport early enough Security has been stepped up again today.Something in the pipeline

Would 90 minutes be sufficient to make it through security and get back to our gate? That is what I had initially planned. And all we will have on us is our small carry-on bags.

Yep, that will be fine. Worse-case scenario, if you just miss a bus at Freising, there are taxis waiting which will take you to the airport for around €25 (or order one from the restaurant).

By the way, from the corner of Vöttinger Str. and Johannisstr., you need to look out for a steep, curving footpath that heads up the hill. That's the Weihenstephaner Fußweg and it will deliver you more or less to the door of the restaurant. If we had Streetview I'd show you, but unfortunately it's still 1996 out here.

I am not sure if I used the Fussweg when I walked up the last time, but I know I was on Voettingerstr., again, as we were staying at Hotel Lerner. Could I have walked up I would have to look back at my notes and see what I have. I am certain I am making it more complicated than it really is, but with this kind of time window, I do not want to leave anything to chance.

Is THIS the walkway you are referring to?

Your link didn't work, but from Lerner you were coming from the other direction, from the west. From the train station you're coming from the east. Once you get to the junction of Vöttinger- and Johannisstraße you'll see the walkway, opposite the ice cream place on the other side of the road from the Schneider Weisse pub.

Didnt think it would turn into a 2-page thread about how to get to Bräustüberl in Freising. But there is still more to add:

Somewhere around April 16th the bus lines and schedules will change. Before that you could take line 638 from the train station to Weihenstephaner Str. (that´s the bus drop/ street corner you and SmallTownBoy were referring to). After that nobody knows...

And, if I am not mistaken, I can catch the 638 bus from Weihenstephan from the train station where the 635 bus will leave us off. At least, that is what I understand from a book I found at home last night.

Correct. If you click on this and then select one of the results (Fahrt-details), then select Karte zur Fahrt als pdf it will show you the route.

So, is it correct that the 638 bus line has changed now that April 14th has passed? The more I consider it, the Euro 50 or so to get to/from Weihenstephaner Braeustuberl may be worth it to save some time and headache. Maybe...

Thoughts?

Thank you.