Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Fishing in Bonn

16 posts in this topic

I have read through old posts (2003/4) on how and what I need to do to be able to go fishing (course).

They mention the need to do a 6 week course and take an exam for my Fischerschein. However, the thread also states it is only in German, and being as I am a fresh face on the block my German is at no stretch of the imagination sufficient.

Can someone let me know if this course is really required and explain to me what and how I need to do to be able to enjoy some simple course fishing.

Many thanks

Barnsee

googled some information in English for you

What you need to fish in any river or lake that is not private property is an "Angelschein" (fishing permit) and a "Gewässerschein". If the property is private, you need the permission of the owner, or if you are a member of a "Angelverein" you can fish in all lakes that are property of the Verein. Often bred fish in relatively small lakes.

They ask for it because they managed to reduce the pollution in rivers to a level where a lot of fish come back and they want to protect them from people who don't fish in a responsible way.

The link provides information regarding the rules in Berlin, wich are basically the same in every Bundesland, but the addresses are different of course and there might be some differences in the handling of things, too.

Sports including the killing of animals are strictly regulated in Germany, because life in wildlife comes first. Humans have to stay on the paths in forests, wild camping is illegal and hunting of any kind is just legal if you have passed tests and have a licence.

Not sure if someone there speaks German but this is a good place to get your actual information about fishing in Bonn beside the city hall of course.

Deckers Bonn

aDutchy

They ask for it because they managed to reduce the pollution in rivers to a level where a lot of fish come back and they want to protect them from people who don't fish in a responsible way.

The pollution of rivers and streams was not due to irresponsible fishermen. It was industrial pollution from the Wirtschaftswunder that caused an unacceptable increase in heavy metals such as mercury and cadmium. The dearth of law suits by animal rights activists has made a large part of the course to focus on how to minimize the pain to fish and follow the Tierschutzgesetz laid out in the last years. Some older fisherman will tell you that its a load of crap and that the goal is to keep as many people as possible from fishing by making it overly complicated and restrictive. Having done my Angelschein, I will admit that if you are a novice to fishing, you will learn about Itchyology, conservation and the complicated laws Germans have created. If you are an experienced fisherman, you will find most of it common sense and some of it just down right crazy.

If you want to fly fish, there are some very nice streams in Germany but expect to pay through the nose for the day card to fish in them. In addition, a club (or the warden) can further restrict the length and amount of fish dictated by law so you can wind up paying 50 euros to fish and only be able to catch one brown trout and two rainbows for example. There is good fishing in the Eifel like Kyllburg which is not far from Bonn. If all you are looking to do is pull out some trout for the grill, then you can fish without a license at private stocked waters. Some are just a pond and you can practically grab the fish out of the water but some are a bit larger and more challenging.

Petri Heil

The pollution of rivers and streams was not due to irresponsible fishermen

No, of course it wasn't. That's why I didn't say it wink.gif.

I just remembered there was a private lake with bred fish on the "Pecher Landstrasse" from Bad Godesberg to Meckenheim, but I don't know if it still exists.

I think I missed the part about coarse fishing because of the spelling. I am not sure I would waste my time to get the Angelschein to fish for catfish (Wels) even though pike and pikeperch are nice they aren't as abundant. Perhaps you could just pretend you are a visitor from England and ask for a tourist license when you fish. My understanding is that you EU folks don't have stamps in your passports anyway. The people who stop you and ask for the license are not usually police but the wardens. The police only come if the warden suspects you are poaching or some other fisherman sees you doing something bad like stringing fish or throwing them in a bucket without humanely killing them first. But even then...

Thanks a lot everyone.

I feel a little more at ease knowing there is no big course or exam to take in German. I have not started my language course yet so it would have been a problem.

I am only a fair weather fisherman and would be categorized as "above novice" but I do enjoy it. I would catch and release.

I am just about to move into a permanent address so I will wait and when I visit the city hall to register I will have my list of "other" issues to be addressed.

Thanks a lot

Barnsee

Maybe you can just take a walk along the Rhine or Sieg at night when the level is back to normal and chat up one of the guys who are fishing there at night and ask them if you can join them.

The private one I remembered is this one:

Angelsportanlage Feldmann

Fuderbachsweg 5

53177 Bonn

Careful with catch and release! That's the main part of the German law. If you catch a fish that is in season and within the legal size, you must kill it immediately and humanely. And then CONSUME it! That's right, the law says you must consume it. But no one ever said that you couldn't feed it to your cat. :) However, sometimes we Anglo/Americans have slippery hands and the fish mistakenly falls in the water and swims away. The official penalty for cruelty to an animal (which they think catch and release is) is up to 2 years or 2000 euro fine.

WOW!!!

Confusing, that releasing them back to grow bigger and healthier and to keep the life cycle moving along is "illegal"

I guess my slippery hands will have to be careful. WOW I am still shocked at "2 years or €2,000 fine for doing the eco thing.

Thanks for all the info.

Barnsee

Yep, and they fined this guy 600 euros for catching a monster catfish and photographing it before killing it. The fish suffered undue harm as he didn't kill it immediately.

For that money you can drive to Belgium or the Netherlands very often and catch a lot of fish without ever do a exam like here in Germany.

You need a "VISpas" (since 2007) in the Netherlands, too, and I am not sure if you are allowed to take the fish back. Importregulations for animals and stuff.

I go deep sea fishing off the coast of Holland every year on a Dutch boat and bring back tons of cod. I have never heard of those regulations but I would think there is a difference between personal use and commercial importation for resale. In fact, in Germany, the levels of heavy metals allowed for fish caught for personal use are higher than the ones for commercial resale.

She is right with the Visvergunning (license) but you simply buy that, no exam needed.