Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Considering a trip to Australia this spring

144 posts in this topic

I'm back from Oz, and it was FANTASTIC. Well worth the long flights. Your country is amazing, and the friendliness of the people even better than in CA [must be really weird for Germans!]. You guys weren't joking, though, when you said it's bloody expensive!

Highlights were seeing a cassowary in the wild [there are only ~ 1,000 left] in Daintree National Park, and snorkeling in the outer Great Barrier Reef. Sydney is a great city.

I spent some time in one of your ERs -- that was an interesting experience. I wish I'd had more time there... so I plan to go back. Probably in [Oz] spring. And I want to go to New Zealand as well. :)

I wish I'd had an Australian dollar for every time someone said "no worries". :D We made some new friends there who had us over for dinner, and have invited us to stay with them the next time we go! Our sons got along great.

Wonderful country! I'm flummoxed as to why any of you left for DE. ;)

Welcome back mlovett. Good to hear you enjoyed your trip so much. I miss "no worries" very badly. It's the total antidote to the German attitude and my number one reason to move back one day. :)

I'll post some photos when I get over the jet lag.

I went to the Sydney Royal Botanical Garden twice. :) I bought a ton of native seeds, which fortunately were not detected by the x-ray machines when I arrived in CA! :o I am going to look into getting a permit to bring plants back. It nearly killed me to see what was available at the SRBG plant sale...

I didn't make it to the Blue Mtns due to the hospital visit, so I simply must go back. I was told the Botanical Garden there is even better.

I guess I won't be quite so negative about moving again if my husband gets relocated to Oz... but ideally we just go there every year to visit. :)

Wonderful country! I'm flummoxed as to why any of you left for DE.

Start your education about the non-tourist side of Australia here.