Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Considering a trip to Australia this spring

144 posts in this topic

And this is my absolute favourite, hidden in the Royal National Park: Wattamolla Beach with its beautiful Lagoon.

https://www.google.de/search?q=wattamolla+beach&client=safari&hl=en&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=TsHmUvyfHIGWtQbD6YDICA&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAA&biw=1024&bih=644

Oh man... that looks like paradise!

There is a good chance that we will eventually get sent be asked to live in Sydney as expats. :o

I hope there will be lots in bloom! Or better yet, lots of seeds for me to collect. ;) It will be autumn, I suppose, in Oz time. My husband bought me a bunch of native seeds during his latest trip. Most need bush fires to germinate, and today I found this cool video showing how to do the 'smoke treatment' in your own backyard. I have *plenty* of eucalyptus leaves on my property...

One of my native [humming]birds enjoying your native Kangaroo Paw. :)

post-33917-13908564884639_thumb.jpeg

Hi All! Our tickets are booked, now we are looking for places to stay. We prefer homes/ apartments to hotels, so that we can have a kitchen. Normally I use vrbo.com, and I see that there are many places in Oz. I will also check AirB&B, which is apparently popular in Oz.

Looking at the locations in this link for the greater Sydney area, where would you choose to stay, and why? Manly? Bondi? We don't need to be right in the city, as my husband will only be working for a couple of days.

http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/south-pacific/australia/new-south-wales/greater-sydney

I am also looking for a place to stay in Queensland. We will have a car for getting around.

Thanks for any tips!

HA! But IIRC, he's in Perth, on the other side of the massive country.

What about this place, in "Glebe"? Price doesn't seem too bad.

http://www.vrbo.com/3165931ha

What does Sydney "in the CBD" mean?

CBD = Central business district.

I spent a lot of time around Sydney's CBD. Darling Harbour, Circular Quay, etc.

The Rocks is just north of the CBD and is one of the oldest parts of Sydney. It's a fantastic district. :)

Ah, OK, thanks. Ideally I'd like to be near the Botanical Garden... :)

The GerMan found a Victorian home somewhere in the rainforest! [Queensland]

edit: I think it must be this one. On 10 acres! https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/1515932?s=SRr4 Price is definitely right, and the photos show it's an awesome place.

OK, I think we may be set. :D

Sydney's Royal Botanic Gardens is a spectacular place to check out. Yeah, living near there would be really ideal.

If the GerMan found that Victorian house anywhere near Brisbane, Queensland, you both might want to check out nearby Gold Coast. It's not only beautiful but my nephew lives there. ;)

Edit: Oh, Maleny. That's north of Brizzy, near Sunshine Coast. Man, I so want to be there now. :D

Aren't the photos of that Maleny home amazing? I don't think I will want to leave!! Jr is going to love the wildlife.

I want to book it right now, but the GerMan is flying over the Atlantic at the mo...

We will only be there 2 weeks, but I'm pretty sure we'll be back in the near future, ideally in their spring.

Hi FuzzyTony, not really. I only just once crossed the border near Tweed Heads and then went back to Bayron Bay. :)

The photos of that house in the slide gallery are just great. I hope you don't think I'm being too nosy, mlovett. :unsure:

Check out the great bathtub. And the rooms have some bright colors. I love that crib. :D

Have you wandered down the road in Google Street View?

Maybe next time you go to Aussie, marie-claire, you can head up to Gold Coast and say hi to my nephew. B)

THE POOL. Did you see the pool?? And the creek in the middle of the rainforest. Heaven. Yes, the bath is wonderful. I really love how they fixed the place. I wonder if they want to sell it? :D

I will wander down the street next, thanks for the suggestion.

OK, after some procrastination due to apprehension/ being overwhelmed by it all, I am officially now very excited! :)

EDIT: Do I need to worry about any man-eating spiders and so forth in the rainforest? :unsure:

EDIT: Do I need to worry about any man-eating spiders and so forth in the rainforest?

I think from what those folks said on the website, the wallabies are the ones to watch out for... because they'll be staring at you. :lol:

post-9625-13936153367668.jpg

And yes, the pool is awesome. (I like how the Aussies pronounce pool. They say "pewwwl".)

If you do use Street View check out the nearby town of Maleny. It looks like somewhere I could retire to.

:D What a great photo. I can't wait to see those guys. And all the birds, and the native plants, ... but please, no killer spiders!

Thanks for the Glebe link, m-c. Good to see that it's hip, rather than the tanned bimbo culture referenced by Katrina on page 1.

Thanks to everyone for such a great thread. I will print it out and bring it with me! Or maybe it's finally the excuse for me to get an iPadAir. ;)

p.s. 2 former colleagues of mine are now at Uni Melbourne, so I will try to visit them.

I loved Glebe. It may have changed a bit, but when I was there it was a really relaxed and friendly place. I remember the first big organic/health supermarket opened in Glebe. It may still be there. I loved going shopping there.