Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Considering a trip to Australia this spring

144 posts in this topic

yay for farmerandy! please keep the travelogue going. as a geo i spent a lot of time in the outback (particularly central australia and the flinders ranges) and also get a tad sick of those 'easterners' (and there funny accents! lol my dad's from dandenong).

unfortunately cos the country's so bloody big, it is hard to hop around to all the wonderful places unless you have an extended stay there.

@ExpatUSA - one person's trash is another person's treasure...i love your photos. to me the great big open wide spaces are very beautiful. and i don't find it too monotonous cos i'm a bit of a nature nerd. got to find what floats your boat!

The monotony broken only by the occasional roadtrain thundering past...no wonder you're still coughing :-)

to me the great big open wide spaces are very beautiful.

For me, too, although I'd prefer it a little bit more humid than in the Dead Heart. Something like the Kimberley for example; a truly remote and beautiful region where I had the opportunity to disappear into the wilderness for three or four weeks in a row sometimes. Oh well, but that was long before they opened it to tourism. Don't know if it's still the same nowadays.

no wonder you're still coughing

LOL!

F.Andy, you are so right about Adelaide, it is a very beautiful city and often overlooked. This year it received the award for Australia's most 'liveable city'.

I'm going back this Christmas and can't wait - and looking forward to some bloody hot weather for a change!!!

From that photo I would say you should check out "The Three Sisters" at Katoomba (Blue Mountains near Sydney) and Kanangra Walls which are also in the general Blue Mountains area. Outside of the eastern side of Australia you'd be hard pressed to find a hillock. Its flat as. I did a 23 hour flight which included about an hour stopover in Singapore. I think the harbour cruise with a ferry is a good idea. I went back home with my German wife last year and took her on a ferry ride from Circular Quay to Manly and back. You get to see everything: The Opera House, The Bridge and the Sydney skyline. The Botanical Gardens and "The Rocks" are in opposite directions but only a short walk from Circular Quay train station. Forget about Bondi beach. Its not really our best beach. Its just handy for the tourists. Check out Cronulla or one of the northern beaches such as Narrabeen. Or even better, head south to Woollongong where the beaches aren't so crowded. Check out Captain Cook's Landing place at Kurnell which is the southern end of Botany bay. You get a great view of the bay and you can see those big jets coming in over the bay on the opposite side at Mascot.

Check out Symbio park near Engadine if you want to see Australian native animals and if you have a rental car, head back through the Royal National Park on your way back to Sydney. You get a great view of the rainforest and then you come around a corner and suddenly get a view of the ocean in the distance from across several kilometres of wild heathland. I took my wife to all those places which were just my childhood stomping grounds. But she still hasn't stopped talking about them. What is a familiar site to some of us is amazing to people from outside.

hahah thanks rodisi! seriously reminds me of some questions i get asked by my english students.

my current favourite response to inquiries/exclamations about how damn dangerous and deadly the country is:

'Soooo dangerous! You know, i've been eaten by a shark 3 times now'.

East of Adelaide – Nothing. Lots and lots and lots of nothing. I´m only partly joking here. Port Lincoln is the Great White Shark capital of Oz. ...

The Nullabor – Starting, basically, just to the East of Port Augusta...

You seem to be confusing East and West here.

I'm still doubtful whether Adelaide even exists to be honest. I don't know anyone who's ever been there personally.

Look at that blue sky, Hutcho...sigh..20 years of Hamburg weather.. I wouldn´t be bored..I PROMISE....sigh again

Look at that blue sky,

Does it still look nice at 110F? :)

YES, Expat. YES and again YES! I LIKE night temperatures of 110F! ( ok, the day is a problem without cola light..) :)

110?? Please tell me not so in January... :o I might have to wait for the next trip!

Love the map and FAQ from rodisi a few posts up. :lol:

This is a great thread, thanks everyone for your input. I'll be printing it out and taking it with me if I ever make it to Oz! My son's teacher balked at the idea of how much school he may miss, but business trips can't always be planned during school holidays...

Depending on where you go, you might "enjoy" temperatures of 37 Celsius and (much) more in January:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Australia

http://www.travelaust.com.au/climate.html (see average maximum temps!)

lol 37 is nothing. we only start whinging from 40. and when i lived in mildura we only started whinging at 48 when the town lost power from too many a/c's running. the heat quickly becomes relative, just like the cold does here.

(ps most of the time it's a dry heat which is more bearable. unless you're in the tropics. then, well, you know, it's tropical).

when i lived in mildura we only started whinging at 48 when the town lost power from too many a/c's running.

48C in Mildura? Whow, that's toasty. What happened to all the fruit plantations?