Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Considering a trip to Australia this spring

144 posts in this topic

My GerMan must go to Sydney on business in a couple of months. I am considering joining, but all those hours on the flight from SFO with a 6 year old...

I know there are a lot of Australians on board. Sell me your country! What would be the main things to do/ see in a period of 2-3 weeks? We would have a rental car. I'm no longer much of a city gal, more of a nature lover. I'm already trying to grow tons of plants from your country, so you don't need to convince me on the botany. :)

TIA

Once you land in Sydney, board another plane and go to New Zealand instead.

How long is the flight, and is it cheap? :D I must say I was very impressed by a recent travel/ photo article about NZ.

Should I plan a stopover in Tasmania, as well? ;)

Hi mlovett,

this documentary should help you to make up your mind:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCXWe7NucPQ

Part 2/5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yoOcAO-jbU&feature=related

Part 3/5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNYhbxmZF7k&feature=related

Part 4/5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv-o1YFEHW8&feature=related

Part 5/5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy1m5w0pqK0&feature=related

Hey mlovett. It's a beautiful country for the nature-lover. From Sydney, you could (for example):

• Hire a car (or take a bus-tour) up the Great Ocean Road to Byron Bay. This is a really nice part of the east coast, although pretty densely populated/ touristy. It's a 10 hour drive all up, so you would need a few days at least.
  • Fly up to the rainforests in the north of Queensland (Cairns) - this area is also extremely special. I would recommend, again, at least 3-4 days for this.
  • Fly (or drive) to Melbourne if you like cities. Melbourne is another great city in Oz and very different to Sydney. A couple of days in Melbourne would be nice.
  • Head west inland from Sydney on a 2 (or more) day trip to the Blue Mountains which is beautiful bush country.
  • Fly to the centre of Oz - you've probably heard of Ayres Rock. It's also incredibly touristy, but this is for a reason as it is wonderfully beautiful desert.
  • Fly up to Darwin (Northern Territory) - now there's a wonderful tropical city. It's tiny and quaint, on the coast, with a beautiful way of life and lovely bush.
  • Tassie is also a nice landscape. It's quite mountainous and also really quaint and undeveloped. It's much colder than the mainland though and if you go in Spring European time it will be Autumn there and correspondingly cold.

You mentioned that you like nature, so I would recommend the bush/national parks (Blue Mountains, Snowy Ranges), the beaches (Byron Bay, Darwin, Cairns) and the desert (the middle, as well as just out of Darwin).

Western Australia has the best beaches though!

If you have any specific questions, ask away!

There are so many beautiful places to visit in Australia...depending on how much you want to squeeze into your trip will depend on your mode of travel between each destination...

- Sydney is a fantastic large city but it also has beautiful, lively beaches, Taronga Zoo

- Blue Mountains, just outside of Sydney (you could go on a tour or hire a car)

- Northern coast of NSW is stunning especially towns such as Yamba, Byron Bay, Coffs Harbour (you would need to hire a car for this)

- Tasmania - Hobart, Coles Bay (Wine Glass Bay), Cradle Mountain (you would need to fly there from Sydney)

If you go to Australia, you must visit the outback! A magnificent place for culture, wild life, flora. There you will see Uluru (also known as Ayers Rock), Kata Tjuta (aka The Olgas). You will need to organise a tour from Sydney (outback tours are usually 3-4 days), you will fly to Alice Springs & then get a bus to Uluru. It's a 'must see'.

- Australia has beautiful wineries in SA, Victoria, WA & NSW

- Fraser Island (in QLD)

- Whitsundays - Arlie Beach, Hamilton Island

- Cairns - The Great Barrier Reef, Cape Tribulation (rain forrest)

- NT - near Darwin - Kakadu National Park...once again breath taking scenery, wildlife and flora

You will not be disappointed with Australia no matter where you go...

Haha!

The problem with Aus is it's bloody big. so Masala might be on a winner - haven't been there but it looks bloody impressive and I reckon it would be easy enough to get around and see alot of cool stuff in a short time.

That being said Give us a better idea of your tastes -

Animals, Landscapes, Beaches, Isolated places?

If I was in Sydney city for a little time I would check out the following

- Little Bay

- La Perouse

- Bondi (Just for the hell of it)

- Taronga Zoo

- Find a pub called "The friend in hand" on a Wednesday night

- Go on a harbour tour - or at least catch a ferry which is cheaper and it goes somewhere

Further afield

- Three Sisters

Even further afield

- Uleru

- Far north Daintree rainforest Great Barrier Reef etc.

- Driving around Tassie can be really cool

There's been heaps of flooding around the country and a cyclone has just come through which has doled out some punishment so I can't say what shape some places are going to be in

I am from Sydney, so I am pretty bias but it is a great city to visit. I know you said you are not into a big city but here are a few things you can do in the city that are less crowded.

- Watch a sunset at Watson's Bay Hotel (a pub, with great food and a nice view over the city)

- Take the ferry to Taronga Zoo (the best views of Sydney harbour are from the ferry and the zoo)

- Take a walk in the Botanical Gardens

- Take a walk down main street of newtown (it is quirky, weird and totally awesome)

- Do some shopping at Paddington, Oxford Street

- Have a pie at Harry's cafe de wheels

- Go to the Orbit bar (Australia Square) revolving restaurant and grab a cocktain - and watch the beautiful harbour bridge and the opera house go by

*Drive about 2 hours to the blue mountains (and an extra hour to Jenolan caves)

*Head to Jervis Bay for what is said to be the whitest sand in the southern hemisphere, Hyams beach. Visit the beaches around Jervis Bay

*Head up North to the Hunter Valley (wine region) and drop by Nelson Bay for some sand duning.

@mlovett, there is loads to do there. The above are just in Sydney and a max of 3 hr drive from Sydney.

Have fun!! And GOOO!! Def GOOOO!! But be warned, Australia is REALLY Expensive!!

Another reason to visit Sydney is the food you can eat in some of the world's most fascinating cafes and restaurants. Have a look at these two Sydney based food blogs, to find some very detailed reviews:

http://grabyourfork.blogspot.com/

http://www.notquitenigella.com/

P.S. I couldn't agree more about Jervis Bay and the Blue Mountains.

The problem with Aus is it's bloody big. so Masala might be on a winner - haven't been there but it looks bloody impressive and I reckon it would be easy enough to get around and see alot of cool stuff in a short time.

Very true! I Managed to do a good chunk of NZ in about a Month (with a campervan). Australia took me a year! Both are very amazing places that are difficult to leave.

Remember that seasons are the opposite in downunder. In April/May it can get lousy cold and wet in Sydney and Melbourne, whereas in the tropical north you'll have the monsoon between January and April, and it will be hot and (sometimes) unbearably humid.

Go to Melbourne, easily the best city in Australia. Then it's only a 2 hour drive to Wilson's Promontory National Park. There you'll experience some of the most awe-inspiring beaches in the world. I did in my family camping holidays for the best part of 20 years.

That being said Give us a better idea of your tastes -

Animals, Landscapes, Beaches, Isolated places?

All of the above. :D

Oh man, I am SO glad I started this thread... I was really going to bag out on this whole idea, not wanting to bring my 6 year old on 2x ~14 hour flights... but you guys are SO awesome with your suggestions, that I will be Googling them for days, and will surely cave and join the adventure. :lol:

We would be 'forced' to be in Sydney for a week, due to business, so I could do all the "city stuff" with Jr, and then we could head out into The Great Unknown. I'm pretty excited about the Botanical Garden. Jr will love the Taronga Zoo.

Apparently my husband will have to make this trip at least once per year (yay!), so I will make it at some point... What are the best months to visit, weather-wise? Being a native Californian, I don't do humidity very well. :ph34r:

I will have more questions after all the Googling, I'm sure. In the meantime, thank you all SO MUCH for the tips -- you guys rock! Greenie showers for you all.

Another reason to visit Sydney is the food you can eat in some of the world's most fascinating cafes and restaurants.

Thank you m-c, I am definitely a food-aholic. Are Sydney restaurants generally child-friendly?

This photo should summarize what is 'me'... or, what I am 'into'. Please pardon the bad hair; it was a serious buttkicker hike. By the time this photo was taken, I pretty much wanted to kill somebody... but was too exhausted. LOL

post-33917-12969625872465_thumb.jpg

What are the best months to visit, weather wise?

October to February/March, I would say.

What are the best months to visit, weather wise? Being a native Californian, I don't do humidity very well.

Autumn: March until June, IMO.

October to February/March, I would say.

Autumn: March until June, IMO.

So, pretty much most of the year, then -- sounds like the Republic of California! B)

October to February for the south, March/April to September for the tropical north and the interior.

Well, Summer - December to the end of February - is mostly uncomfortably hot and humid all over Australia these days. So bear that in mind, mlovett. If you don't like heat and humidity, you should definitely leave these months out.

Having just had a week of 35 degrees plus here in Sydney (yesterday was about 42!!), if you don't do heat or humidity well I'd definitely wait until a bit later in the year to come out... After almost 8 years here I'll possibly be moving to Munich in a few months time, and am certainly glad it'll be coming into summer to help ease me back into European weather...

Sydney is an awesome place, and I still appreciate what a beautiful place I live in. There are lots of varying areas to see in Sydney as previous posts have mentioned, all with their own vibe, but I would definitely recommend seeing the place from the middle of Sydney harbour on a boat... Even if it's just a ferry!

Enjoy!