Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Bying a used motorcycle - Yamaha R6

18 posts in this topic

Hey guya.. just wondering if someone here has any experience buying a used bike..

I am seriously considering getting a used Yamaha R6 :D. Not really sure what paperwork is required. Do I need to get a German License before I buy a bike? With my curent license I am allowed to drive for six months. I was thinking I'll buy the bike and get the German license later on.

Any idea if it's a good idea buying a bike that's done ~20,000 KM (just sayin')?

You have to get a German Motorcycle License that will cost somewhere around €1500 from what I have read. 20k KM isn't too bad as long as the maintenance has been kept up.

As far as I know it does not operate the same as a normal drivers license. Even my US motorcycle license doesn't transfer to Germany.

No problems with buying, just like you would anywhere else. However a couple of points especially if you are keen on a R6, take someone along as a second or first pair of eyes. Double check you realistically will get your bike licence sorted here.

All the best Mick

hey laker08

just a little imput,

the r6 typically has a electronic throttle body, depending on the year.

be careful with this

i personally prefer a cable throttle, i dont trust the computer on a crotchrocket

had a friend smash his r1 cause of the electric throttle thing

check out a zx6r ninja, thats what i rode in kali put a ton of miles on it :ph34r:

if your set on an r6 make sure the tires are brand new, check the chain, ask for reciept when air cleaner was last changed

if you dont know what your doin with the aircleaner it can be a pain in the neck to change(fuel lines make it fun :D )

look in the little plastic bottle for what blows by should be just like 1 drop of oil, not more (normally down low, little clear bottle with a vaccume line attached to it),

another tip, pull out a few fairing screws with the tool kit it would normally come with, look at the loctite, is it original, two colors,

see if you can tell if the fairings have been taken off

look at the swing arm for cracks, check the forks for oil, or dimples from rocks smashing into the chrome

the driving school guy told me i can take the practical for up to a year after i take the written test, so i dont gotta ride in the snow, although it doesnt allow me to ride until i pass both

the landratsamt will ask you for like 40 bucks, insurance, inspection, pinkslip, passport, not sure but i think i brought my anmeldung from the rathaus and the bill of sale

than you gota pay like 10 bucks to have your plate made

if you do buy it, make sure to adjust the suspension (prolly preachin to the choir) this is required to make the bike fit you personally

very important on the little 6r bikes

if you dont know how, look it up on youtube

at my last post, i meant to direct it to deutchlerner, not laker, blonde moment

BTW i put over 25000 km on my ninja, mobil1 öl is the best PERIOD

depends on rider, you can get same KM as a car outta a 600 if you dont treat it like garbage

Hey thanks for the inputs.. I'll keep an eye on these things..

What really sucks is the cost of getting a license.. but ah well..

Your american motorcycle license is valid for renting and using a bike as long as you have an international drivers license with the motorcycle endorsement. You won't be able to register it without proving you have a European motorcycle drivers license or American military motorcycle drivers license. I assume you aren't with the American military.

Some US states have full reciprocity with Germany which includes motorcycle licensing. Check if your US state (assuming you have a US drivers license with motorcycle endorsement) is on that list and then its a simple transfer with no need to test. If you have partial reciprocity then see what it covers. If you don't have one at all then you will need to go to a fahrschule to get tested.

20k km on a bike like an R6? Thats about 13k miles. I wouldn't trust the motor not to be ragged out without knowing the owner and bike history. Also, check the chain, brake pads, brake fluid, tires, clutch, and oil as part of the standard review.

Thanks for the tips on the license; I will look into that. By chance, do you have the website to look on?

I sold my first Ninja ZX-6R with 24k miles (39k KM) on it and it still ran like new. I rode mine hard, but I wouldn't consider it abused. Of course, I always kept up with the maintenance, too. I would definitely feel out the seller to see how much the bike has been abused. As for the look overs, I second everything that has been mentioned.

Some US states have full reciprocity with Germany which includes motorcycle licensing.

Do you have a reference on this? I'm preparing to get the German license and I've been told by a couple of different people that the reciprocity applies *only* to the car bit, and not the motorcycle bit..

I think you need an EU license minimum. 20000 Kms is quite acceptable for a second hand bike. How much are you paying for it?

maybe I can cut in front of you. I am looking to sell my Thundercat 2001 and move up to an CBR900 or an R1/R6

Hi All,

Maybe this is not the right forum but I will go ahead anyways. I did search the previous posts as well as ADAC and mobile.de websites. But couldn't find a step wise procedure for buying a motorcycle or a car.

I am planning on buying a used motorcycle from a private person in the coming week, and the exact step wise procedure for doing so would be much appreciated. Including all the documents and things I need and where to go and register it in my name.

So far I have

1. Check if you want it

2. Ok I decided I want it, now what

3. Sign a contract (Examples of contract? What should be included in it?)

4. Pay (Usually cash. Are other things possible?) get all the papers(what are all the papers, I should have)

5. Drive it home (On whose liability insurance?)

6. Arrange your own insurance (Insurance comparison websites? Do I have it from the day I sign up on the web?)

7. Take TUV, insurance and all bike papers to the registration authority (which is? located in Munich at..)

What am I missing? Does it matter that the motorcycle is from Nuremberg and I need to register it in Munich?

Thanks

[adminmerge][/adminmerge]

You're missing a bit of research and reading, this has been covered many times before.

Legally buying used cars from private sellers

Buying a car without German

Buying a car new or used

Paperwork and costs of buying a second-hand car

Buying a used car

Looking to buy used car from dealer

And a few threads on buying a used motorcycle, which brings up the question of whether you have a motorcycle license - this is not automatically part of your vehicle driving license in Germany.

Buying a used motorcycle

Buying used motorcycle

Indeed I am. Maybe I searched on motorcycles too much.

The first link is perfect, I had seen the some of the others but I like stepwise lists with procedures, otherwise I feel like pulling my hair out. The little bit that I have left.

Ofcourse! I have Dutch motorcycle & car license.

Thanks!

No no, keep the hair - although unfortunately you'll have helmet head instead of feeling the breeze flowing through your locks, on a motorcycle. :P

Drive safely!