Help understanding a big 2009 Betriebskosten bill

9 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I write this hoping somebody can help me to understand a massive Betriebskosten bill I received.

The bill is for a tiny 24 square meters flat in a modern block house which I rented from the company Wohnheim in Frankfurt. It includes the costs for the whole 2009.

Premise: I never used an insane amount of water or electricity, matter of fact I spent relatively little time at home.

In addition to the Betriebskosten I had to pay during the year, now I got an additional 810 euro to pay. That makes a total of over 1500 euro paid during the year!

The Betriebskosten include "Wasser/Entw." (488 euro), "Heizkosten/Wasserkosten" (391 euro) and "Betriebskosten" (626 euro).

1) Is it me or this is insanely too much for a 24 sm flat?

2) How can I proceed to investigate whether there is a mistake?

3) Is it normal that the Betriebskosten bill arrives after about one year?

I just find outrageous that an individual cannot have a clear prospect about the expenditures he will have to face. What's the point of signing a contract for a cheap flat when eventually the (hidden) Betriebskosten will make it so much more expensive?

Aw, sorry for the slight rant, just *really* frustrated. Thank you for any help you can give me in this matter.

Since nobody knows what your contract was I'd suggest taking all the papers to the mieterbund and ask them. They can give you advice and communicate with the landlord.

You should get supporting statements for all of them sohowingh the basis of calculation. Also, you need to understand the cost drivers. You'd still incur a decent amount if you never set foot in the place. In addition, floor space is focussed on too much. Water consumption tends to be number of people but that is not always so, and so you need to know how you have been charged. (Mine is. 430 for a singleton).

Most of us also assume we don't use much of stuff like water - I know I do. We tend to think we will not get a big charge but the list of what we do not use tends to level out across the population. I do the "but I usually bathe at the gym" thing while overlooking that at I am home all day using water while others are not. You rarely hear people saying: "of course, I know I consume a gigantic amount and therefore fully expect a massive bill that is a shedload more than most people pay" ;) .

I write this hoping somebody can help me to understand a massive Betriebskosten bill I received.

When exactly did you receive it? If it was after the 31st December in your mailbox, you may have to pay nothing.

for a tiny 24 square meters flat ... a total of over 1500 euro paid during the year!

Per square meter, that's some 5,20 E a month, quite on the high side. Typical Nebenkosten range from roughly 2 to 3 E a month per square meter. Cheaper apartments (cheap in quality, not price!) cost more, better ones less.

It includes the costs for the whole 2009.

If the time billed runs from 1st Jan. through 31st Dec. 2009, he has to hand you the tally over before the end of the year 2010, or you don't have to pay any additional Nachzahlung. As suggested, contact the Mieterverein soon.

1) Is it me or this is insanely too much for a 24 sm flat?

It's definitely on the high side. But you may see all bills - in original - leading to the amount, if you intend to, or have to pay.

2) How can I proceed to investigate whether there is a mistake?

Let the the management of the propriety show you every single bill. The water part appears especially high to my weary eyes. Did you say electricity is included, too? That usually is not the case and may explain part of the higher cost.

3) Is it normal that the Betriebskosten bill arrives after about one year?

Tricky situation for the management company, as they have to await all bills for the year in question to come in, and then they have to divide things up and bill the tenants before they hit the legal deadlines.

I just find outrageous that an individual cannot have a clear prospect about the expenditures he will have to face. What's the point of signing a contract for a cheap flat when eventually the (hidden) Betriebskosten will make it so much more expensive?

This happens too often: lure unsuspecting tenants with unrealistically low Nebenkosten demands, and then hit them with the hammer when they can't get out anymore.

Being a landlord myself and having been a tenant too I know that you are enttitled to ALL the underlying bills. The only electricity that should be dividable is the "Allgemeinstrom" i.e. elec for lighting and running the central heating. Usual costs are between 2-3 EUR per square meter. Your high costs are highly unusual. Have a look at the bills and compare them with the Abrechnung. If it makes sense, fine. If it doesn t query it. If the answers aren t satisfactory, go and talk to the Mieterschutzverein. It is a fact that a very large percentage of the NK Abrechnungen are wrong, sometimes by accident and sometimes not by accident.

Hi to the previous posters,

Thank you so much guys, I didn't expect such thoughtful support, I appreciate.

Unfortunately I discovered that I did receive such bill in December 2010 - a bit less than a year after the last billing month - which doesn't allow me to enforce the "later than a year" law.

FYI electricity is *not* included in those bills - I paid it aside.

The bill I have found does list every single expenditure, but I am still stunned as to how can they have prospected me much less than 1/3 of the actual Betriebskosten.

Just for you to know, the company which rented me the flat is Wohnheim, a subsidiary of ABG I think, a large company.

There are some weirdly high entries in this bill, e.g.:

"Breitbandkabelanschluss - 108,55 €" (Never had a phone or asked for any work on cables!).

or:

"Beleuchtung - 52.22" (Does it mean the company spent 6000+ € for the few bulbs illuminating the corridors?)

User Postmann is so right: I have been lured by the prospect of low Betriebskosten and now it's too late to do anything. Worse of all I can expect the same kind of bills for 2010, and guess what: I'll get it in the end of 2011, nice to live one year knowing a massive bill is about to come at your doorstep! How can one plan his finances properly? This is not fair on the end consumer.

Has anyone else had "Sondernutzungerlaubnis Grunstückszufahrt", cost 260€, added to their Nebenkosten?

I looked it up and it seems to be a charge, administered by the council/government for creating access to the apartment for a car by lowering the pavement. However, the access point was created long before I moved into the apartment.

The landlord says I'm liable because I live in the apartment at the point the new rule was passed. To me it would make sense for the property owner to pay the fee.

Perhaps it's just in Frankfurt, my landlord wrote:

"Die Gebühr für die Sondernutzungserlaubnis für die Grundstückszufahrt wird von der Stadt Frankfurt erhoben. Mit Bescheid vom 13.11.2015 wurde diese zum ersten Mal städtisch berechnet. Der Bescheid wurde rückwirkend von 2011-2015 erstellt und wir haben die Kosten von € 265,00 für das Jahr 2014 zum ersten Mal in die Betriebskostenabrechnung 2014 einfließen lassen."

I've found a document which I think states, that the first access to the property is free, but a second access incurs a charge. If so that also causes a question because there are two families living here and one might argue that we should share the cost. We both have cars and we both park beside either of the two access points.

"Die  erste  Zufahrt  zu  einem  Grundstück,  fällt  unter das  Anliegerrecht.  Nach  dem  Hessischen Straßengesetz  und  der  Satzung  der  Stadt  Frankfurt  a m  Main  über  Sondernutzungen  und Gestattungen  an  öffentlichen  Straßen  steht  dem  Grun dstückseigentümer  nur  eine  bis  maximal 6,00   m   breite   Grundstückzufahrt   (inkl.   der   Übergang
ssteine   /   Hänger)   zur   Liegenschaft gebührenfrei  zu.  Überbreite  Grundstückszufahrten  und  Zweitzufahrten  werden  im  Rahmen  einer gebührenpflichtigen   Sondernutzungserlaubnis   im   Einzelfall   geprüft.   Es   wird   eine   jährliche
Pauschale i.H.v. 240,- Euro (je Zufahrt) zuzüglich einer einmaligen Verwaltungsgebühr berechnet."

https://www.frankfurt.de/sixcms/media.php/738/Informationsblatt%20Grundst%C3%BCckszufahrten.pdf