Costs for painting an apartment

26 posts in this topic

Hi, we're moving out of our apartment and need to paint the walls, can anyone advise us what are the typical labor costs? It's 2 rooms, about 70 sq.m., medium-height ceilings (about 2.70 I would say). If you know the approx. rates per sq. meter of walls, I'll appreciate that information too, I'll measure and calculate the area of the walls.

go here...

http://branchenbuch.my-hammer.de/maler-und-lackierer/muenchen/

plenty of those folks would be happy to give you estimates...even a guy named james connell, betcha dollars to doughnuts he speaks English in case your German isn't up to snuff.

Is it just the painting, or do the walls have to be cleared of any wallpapers first? That makes a nice difference. Otherwise for such an apartment you'll need 3 to 4 big buckets of paint, costing roughly 30 E each, plus small items to get the job done. So total material amounts to roughly 100 E, and the mere paint job can be done in about a day without messing too much, bringing labor cost to anything between 200 and maybe 500 E. There's no hidden magic in painting some walls and the ceilings, so it's easy to do it on your own.

Got to remind you, however, that once the walls are freshly painted, often the window frames and doors look rather yellowish, thus requiring some paint work as well (which is way more tedious to do).

Hi, thank you for your replies, now I know everything I wanted to know. My hunch was 150..200 Eu rock bottom line for the labor, you confirmed it. I would totally love to do it myself but I'm traveling a lot this month and the keys are to change hands on the 15th. And 200 Eu is not that much anyway. The windows are plastic so even if they indeed start to look a bit yellowish I can't do much about it :)

Thanks again!

Well I don't know about 750, sounds a bit high. I paid 200 labor + 70 materials, for all the walls + 1 radiator + 2 doors. The other 3 radiators, 2 doors and the ceiling still look good enough (we got this apartment 20 months ago and used it lightly, and it's been painted right before we moved in). Lets see how it affects our deposit :)

I was going to start a separate thread, but this seems similar enough.

My current landlord has recommended a painted who just gave me an estimate of €1.500,00 for our ~75 sq. m. flat. Which I thought was totally overpriced, and this thread has confirmed that. I'm not really sure what to do about it though: If I hire somebody else to do it, then I end up paying for that on top of what this guy will charge when the landlord says they don't approve of the job. Sigh...

Lets work this in reverse..

Take off 19% for the vat.. That leaves about 1300

Then take another 25% which is how much tax the labourors should be paying. That leaves Approx 1000

Paint... Wear and tear on brushes,steps,fuel costs, etc... 200..

That leaves 800 euro for 2 guys for 2or3 days work...

Hardly a fortune...

€450 plus materials.As i have the brushes and stuff for covering the floors not a problem.The price is only for painting walls and ceilings.Should be done in a day

75 sq m then i would charge €450 plus paint costs.Already have the coverings and the likes.This price is only for painting walls and ceilings and hopefully there is a free parking space

The last quotes that I got were roughly €3 per m², so 70 m² would have been €2,100 plus VAT. I think that the quote is pretty decent.

But by all means have Mik do it, he's good.

Hi Mik.

Thanks for the offer. That would be great, except that I'd need to have an official receipt --do you work for a registered company? The point is not that I have to have the place painted, but that I have to be able to prove that I got it painted. Even if you do it perfectly, if my landlord sees that I don't have a company receipt, they'll see it as an opportunity to claim that they weren't satisfied with the paint job, and then they'll pay the other guy to do it again anyway and take it out of my deposit (and then the other painter will hand them back some of the money under the table). The only way to prevent this is to have an official receipt of the paint job from a known company, so that I can threaten to go to court when they inevitably try to hold back my Kaution.

Does anybody know if I'm allowed to hire a painter and then send the bill directly to my LL for them to take out of my Kaution? That would at least reduce the risk of me paying all this money and then still losing it again out on the kaution.

And to everyone else, yes, I know, this sounds horribly cynical, but that's how it is. Normally I'm the type of person who tries to resolve conflicts by reasoning with people and finding compromise, but my landlord happens to be one of those people who sees willingness to compromise as a weakness to be exploited. This is only the latest in a very long list of battles, and I've exhausted all avenues of trying to reason with him/them on a human level.

To anyone else thinking of renting a place in Munich: make sure when you put down your deposit it goes into a separate account that the landlord can't touch until you reach an agreement upon moving out (they are required to do this by law), and join the mieterverein; it's an agency that gives advice, and legal representation when fighting with landlords who are incapable of being reasonable human beings.

according to the law your apartment does not have to be painted professionally.It has to be left in a liveable condition.i did some work for -sarabyrd and the landlord passed it with flying clours.That was including a very very high staircase.I could do the handover with you and the landlord!!! You could tell the landlord it was done by proffessional painters you are friends with.Andy the guy i work with is employed at the airport hotel now the Hilton as a painter.

Check out this company. I just got a quote from them. They have a special offer running from Jan-March, 2015 for €17 per square metre (incl. VAT) to freshen up white walls. They literally calculate by the square metres of your flat (not wall/ceiling surfaces). So, in your case it would be 75 sq m x 17 = EUR 1.275. They have good references on their website.

Madgibson, then how do they charge if I want only my living room and a bathroom, not the whole flat, painted? One side of the living room is only glass and the other side is 50% glass (windows, that is).

seems like a good offer but my way it would work out at 50% the price including the materials.The other thing to consider is you would have to work around their time scale and thney do deffo not work weekends!

according to the law your apartment does not have to be painted professionally.It has to be left in a liveable condition.

I've had painted many apartments over the years and you're right they don't have to be painted "professionally". The one advice I have and something I've learned over all these years is don't ever let someone paint for you or do any work by the hour because this allows them to set the price for the job.

Negotiate a set fee for the complete job and don't pay until you are completely satisfied with the job.

There are many people out there who do a great paint job that don't work for a paint firm.

If the landlord wants to see a receipt from a professional painter he's being anal and he's out of line.

@ LR correct i always set a set price for the job no hourly rate as i have found in the past a lot of people like to add stuff on bit by bit and look at you stupidly when you ask for more.Set price with work written and signed off for.Then done accepted and paid for on completion.