Please see I.D. signature

65 posts in this topic

Interesting. I have been here for 3 weeks and have been asked to give my PIN for every debit card transaction and there have been a lot.

It is a U.S. Master Card. I opted to have a PIN for it for face to face transactions.

If you asked for a card with a PIN, and obtained a card with a PIN, it is not very surprising that you are now being asked for the card's PIN at every transaction.

I am not sure why Germany is still lax on credit card security. Maybe credit card fraud levels are low?

Because it's almost impossible to copy a chip card unlike a card with magnetic strip. Sorry, but refusing to implemet chip cards and asking for Ausweis instead doesn't sound very secure. It sounds authoritarian instead.What about a freedom of not carrying ID? What about a freedom of not having ID which used to be the case in America?

Even if they are nearly impossible to copy, they can be stolen.

I agree that requiring ID feels authoritarian: I much prefer the enforced chip + PIN system.

Even if they are nearly impossible to copy, they can be stolen.

There is Germany wide number for credit/EC card block: 16 116.

They also cancel all unauthorized transactions. Please note that if your PIN number was also stolen (e.g. via ATM mounted camera) you cannot reverse transactions with valid PIN. That's why signatures are more secure for the customer.

The German is incorrect.

Otherwise, I have no idea why you would apply your US thinking in Germany, and why you would imagine this move helps you at all when you have deviated from the rules about what should be written where.