Please see I.D. signature

65 posts in this topic

Please See I.D.

That is the phrase I was taught by my parents and society as an intelligent move; a proper security measure to prevent fraud should my debit or credit card ever end up lost. In the US, check card purchases are used for simple things, like a cup of coffee at Dunkin' Donuts or some other chain. Often since speed is what is important to the customer, the cashier won't end up looking at the back of the card to check the signature, not to mention that nobody has to sign for these chump-change purchases anymore.

Bearing that in mind, and knowing that it would be horrendous if I should ever get mugged or lose my wallet in Germany, I wrote "Bitte Ausweis Fragen" on the signature line. How provincial of me! I have been laughed out of every single supermarket and department store in Großbereich Hamburg. "Sweet baby Jesus. Why would you ever write this on your signature line?" wondered every single cashier. In fact, I have a feeling this very same story has been circling the forums of Verkäufertown, while every cashier from Aldi to Toom hopes to get a glimpse of this felonious misuse of Electronic Cash.

My point being, is this a German thing... do other cultures laugh out of their asses at this? As with other things, I would normally smile and take it as a societal difference, but the gross irony is this is a land of leather-bound ledgers, wax-sealed stamps, ink and quill forms, and Goblins guarding the bank vaults. Then... how can asking to be asked for an Ausweis be such a bad thing?

Yours truly,

Monetarily-maligned in Mundsburg

post-132146-12966818142635.png

where in Mundsburg are ya? i am in the shadow of the towers...

Westvan, Thanks for your reply. I gotta disagree though, having previously seen that site before from a Google search. Far too many people write it on the back of their cards, and having worked in retail for around 6 years, I know that while it isn't mandated by the government as correct, it definitely is a safety measure people use. And what is the cashier going to do anyway, besides oblige and ask for identification?

I know that while it isn't mandated by the government as correct, it definitely is a safety measure people use.

Not in Germany.

Bearing that in mind, and knowing that it would be horrendous if I should ever get mugged or lose my wallet in Germany, I wrote "Bitte Ausweis Fragen" on the signature line. How provincial of me! I have been laughed out of every single supermarket and department store in Großbereich Hamburg.

The wording may have something to do with it as well. 'Bitte Ausweis Fragen' is missing a preposition and, assuming that's how it appears on the card, looks a lot like it could be a name since you capitalized all the words. A cashier, having never seen this phrase before, would try to read it, think to herself 'Bitte...what a curious name' and, after a moment or two, realize that she's actually looking at an improvised security measure in broken German.

I've found about 80% of the time when you have to sign, the cashier has already given the card back and doesn't compare the signature anyway.

I would assume that writing anything other than your own signature on that space would invalidate the T&C and make the card worthless. You agreed to certain rules and regs in order to get and use the card. If you don't feel like following the agreement which states that you will sign your name on the back of your card, then stick to cash.

Thanks for the PM, JYDIVISN. When you learn how to use the big boy voice please feel free to come back and try again.

Bipa, you're making a sane and sensible point. Our little friend doesn't think that applies to him.

McLovin... :lol:

That was my nickname on another board. Thanks for bringing on the memories. Sorry, I have nowt else to offer as I couldn't make it beyond that DL. :P

And um, yeah, what Bipa said.

First, that practice is NOT actually legal in the United States. When I worked as a cashier, I took a particular pleasure in telling people that the card wasn't valid with that on it. I let them pay afterwards, but like someone said, you don't just get to make up your own rules for your credit card agreement. If I accept that and the card is stolen, I'm liable. What if you stole a card and a wallet (with ID)? Do many people ever really lose JUST a credit card? A signature, meanwhile, would be extremely difficult to forge in such a way that the credit card company couldn't push the blame back onto me as a cashier.

Second, that IS broken German. They probably laughed because you wrote the equivalent of "Please Ask ID" on a card, which is both unusual AND pidgin.

Third, Keydeck isn't "winning" because he/she has been here longer; Keydeck is winning because you're wrong.

"She says that she's been listenin'/

A lot to Joy Division lately/

And I notice that darkness in her smile"

I'm glad you took particular pleasure in that for some weird reason, although I do admit working in retail is pretty miserable. And FYI, I didn't randomly write that, I asked one of my Goethe Institut instructors what it would be, and she told me that. She didn't say it jokingly or with a smile, so I assumed nothing was out of the ordinary.

What if you stole a card and a wallet (with ID)?

Ummm, well what do you think an ID is, besides my Chuck E. Cheese Golden Commander Membership? It's a piece of plastic with a photo and a signature. Obviously the first thing you do is look at my face, and if there's a petite Asian lady on the picture, than it's probably not me.

“We make up most of our history around here, ... Codger."

Well, the good news for you is that credit cards are rarely accepted in Germany. I never used mine while living near Hamburg (seriously, not even once), while in California I use it all the time. Different cultures.

Bring cash. No signature required!

OMG, you were born in 1989. That's when I graduated from Cal! :P

Haha "Cash Always Works" is something I always end up seeing in the inside of a cheeky birthday card. But here it really is the case.

I guess we all have scales of how old we're getting. I remember getting into yelling matches with someone in my house because someone would start dialing a phone number on the phone and it would disconnect the dialup from the family... i.e. the computer.

Bitte Ausweis Fragen

Second, that IS broken German. They probably laughed because you wrote the equivalent of "Please Ask ID" on a card, which is both unusual AND pidgin.

And FYI, I didn't randomly write that, I asked one of my Goethe Institut instructors what it would be, and she told me that.

Yeah, right. And if that is indeed what they told you (perhaps you misheard?), I would be urgently looking for a new source of German language instruction.

Why would 'Fragen', a verb be written with a capital?

And 'Ausweis', even with a new RFID chip, will still be considered an inanimate object. How can you ask it anything? Hello Ausweis, what's my name?

I remember getting into yelling matches with someone in my house because someone would start dialing a phone number on the phone and it would disconnect the dialup from the family... i.e. the computer.

I remember when dial-up was the most futuristic and fascinating thing anybody had ever heard of.

Anyhow. How's about this for revolutionary.

You sign the back of the card.

And then, in the little space that you've conveniently left for yourself by writing your name quite small, you enter, "See ID". It doesn't legally bind the cashier to comply with what's written, but in the event that your card is stolen, it may deter the would-be thief from trying to use it. And of course if he does try it, and the cashier happens to ask, you've just increased your chances of catching him by a hundredfold.

Of course, "Bitte nach Ausweis Fragen" isn't going to fit there, so don't waste your time doing this in Germany. But it may work out well in Hawaii.

"Bitte Ausweis fragen" is not correct German for a start.

As the space on the back of the card is for your signature, if you are unable to provide your signature there, then basically, you should not be able to use your card!

You do not need to wonder why Germany laugh at you for having written that on the back of your card - you are probably lucky that they haven't cut your card in half and returned it to your bank already!

As has been mentioned before, you are not the one who decides what security measures apply to your card - the bank is!

also, what are you going to do when you have to send your passport away to be renewed? - stop going shopping???!!!

Note to oneself:

Should I ever have another child, I will name him/her "Please See ID" and wait to see what happens when he/she try to pay with their credit card...;)

I've found about 80% of the time when you have to sign, the cashier has already given the card back and doesn't compare the signature anyway.

Yeah, I notice this a lot.

Once when the cashier did actually check the signature she seemed to be taking a long time, my first thought was "oh she doesn't trust me cos I'm a foreigner" (yes I sometimes still do get those paranoid moments, sometimes with good reason, sometimes because it's just paranoia...), anyhow, there was me feeling a little peeved, but then I thought, what the hell, I'm glad she checked and double checked, if only more cashiers would do the same.

First, anyone who writes that is usually someone who is afraid their ID will be stolen - and yes, while that does happen, it does not happen often enough to try these idiotic stunts that as already pointed out - is also not legal in the US. They can and will refuse your card due to not having your signature on it (US included).

Secondly - assuming you are one of these people - why on earth would you post a picture of your ID on a site where you would open yourself up for ID theft, which it seems you are afraid of (or else you would not go thru this whole scheme?

Third - your US driving license is not even considered and "ID" here as even if a cashier asked to see it and you show them something not in German or not Internationally an offical ID (such as passport or EU ID card) they would not know what it is anyway.

Just sign the card!