Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Kosher salt - flakier than normal salt

21 posts in this topic

I need good flaky salt that isn't as 'salty' as sea salt. Does anyone know if they even have kosher salt in Germany, or am I stuck with something like Fleur de Sel?

there's a kosher cafe on Klenze call "Bracha" - they have a shop there too, so guess you could try them. It's just be the U-bahn on Frauenhoferstr. Oy!

This is interesting. Please explain what Kosher salt is supposed to be? I would guess buying it in a Reformhaus or Biostore.

Kosher Salt is flakier than normal salt, with more surface area, so it dissolves more quickly than crystal salt. I am making some chili oils, and the recipe is very specific about the Kosher Salt.

I don't know if the salt itself is prepared in a special way, but they use it to kosherize meat - covering it in salt to remove the remaining blood - the flaky salt is ideal for this. I will check that shop out - thanks!

And thank you for the info! Always interested in all sorts of info on food, cooking, customs, products etc. :)

Oh now I get it, a natural thin flaky salt that can be used to remove blood from meat as opposed to sal that is kosher in iteself. I was wondering how salt in itself could be Koscher.

You might also find it in a good department store food section.

Kosher Salt is flakier than normal salt, with more surface area, so it dissolves more quickly than crystal salt.  I am making some chili oils, and the recipe is very specific about the Kosher Salt.

I don't know if the salt itself is prepared in a special way, but they use it to kosherize meat - covering it in salt to remove the remaining blood - the flaky salt is ideal for this.  I will check that shop out - thanks!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nice one JW

Dad's here for three weeks (gulp) from Johannesburg. Now he can go shopping in my 'hood.

Kosher Salt is flakier than normal salt, with more surface area, so it dissolves more quickly than crystal salt.  I am making some chili oils, and the recipe is very specific about the Kosher Salt.

FYI: All salt is considered kosher. I assume the "Kosher Salt" you refer to is the salt used in preparing kosher meat.

Kosher ketchup is only available to very special people who donate their time and furniture to worthy causes B)

Kosher shops in München

Danel Pilgersheimerstr.44 81543 München Tel.:089/669888

Danel Viktualienmarkt

Westenriederstr. 9 80331 München Tel: 089- 2280-0258

Hörner

Bäckerei Kaulbachstr.46 Chalah and Bread

I'm confused cheers for what?

Are you and the original poster the same person?

Incidently kosher salt is a bit of a misnomer as packaged salt can be kosher or non kosher depending on the equipment it comes into contact with during processing and packaging.

The OP was asking for cooking and not religous purposes (I think) and therefore the only thing that really matters in his case is that the salt refered to in North America as "kosher salt" is simply large flaked and without additives.

It is correct that this large flaked salt is what is used to remove the blood and render meat kashered.

I tend to avoid vicars, and did not need the salt for religious purposes. I have these recipes for hot chili oil and szechuan pepper salt, both of which specifically require this salt (otherwise it doesn't really dissolve in the oil).

I will let you all know how it turns out!

I'm confused cheers for what?

Are you and the original poster the same person?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No. The original poster has a different name from mine.

However, I did find all the above information useful, which is why I said thank you to all.

there's a kosher cafe on Klenze call "Bracha" - they have a shop there too, so guess you could try them. It's just be the U-bahn on Frauenhoferstr. Oy!

I'll confirm - Cafe Bracha at Klenzestr. 47 definitely has kosher salt for sell. They're just across the street from the ubahn entrance, so quite convenient as well.

Hey guys,

just to resurrect an old thread...I'm currently looking for Kosher salt in Munich...'Kosher salt' is a brand and has nothing to do with Kosher food...

Does anyone know of anywhere that sells this brand? (http://www.amazon.de/gp/offer-listing/B0011CX2M4/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=all&qid=1451560843&sr=8-1)

I'm also looking for curing salt #1 and cant seem to find that anywhere easily...shipping prices to DE are crazy from UK sources!