Where to buy raw milk

26 posts in this topic

Anyone know where you can buy raw (real) milk in/around Nuernberg area? Trying to get away from the homogenized, pasteurized stuff in the regular super markets...

Thanks!

As opposed to fake milk?

Look in the fridge section, that is where fresh milk is stored.

Or are you wanting to buy direct from the farm type deal?

SJ, the clue is in 'raw milk' and 'trying to get away from the homogenized and pasteurized stuff'. So not supermarkets. Try asking in a health food store - they're unlikely to stock it, but may know of sources. Or if you have a farmers' market nearby, ask there.

Look in the fridge section, that is where fresh milk is stored.

I know this is not exactly what the OP is looking for, but I just wanted to say that almost all the "fresh" milk from the fridge section is not really fresh anymore, it is just bloody HA-milk. Finding fresh milk is getting really complicated in Germany.

The only place I've ever seen raw milk in Germany is at a fancy place in Munich called Manufactum. It was actually labeled as 'Vorzugsmilch.'

The refrigerated stuff at regular grocery stores around here isn't H-Milch. It's pasteurized and homogenized, but it was live enough that we could made cheese out of it. At the Bioladen, you'll find milk that is pasteurized, but non-homogenized, so be prepared for those chunks. They can be...unpleasant if you don't expect them.

Your best bet is probably a farmers' market. Even if you don't find someone there with Vorzugsmilch, you should be able to find out how to get some. Good luck!

The refrigerated stuff at regular grocery stores around here isn't H-Milch.

OK, technically I was wrong, it is not H-Milch but it is still ESL-Milch. My point is that since 2 years they replaced all the fresh milk with this one and now it is a little bit difficult to find fresh milk in supermarkets.

It is not that I am against technology or practicality, but I can actually feel the difference in taste.

Edit:

Here the explanation (in German), they changed it back in 2008 and I am not the only one who can tell the difference in the taste:

http://www.mopo.de/mopo/news/dem-handel-schmeckt-die-frischmilch-nicht/-/5066732/5482782/-/index.html

Anyone know where you can buy raw (real) milk in/around Nuernberg area? Trying to get away from the homogenized, pasteurized stuff in the regular super markets...

Thanks for the tip!

Just be aware of the risks/dangers of drinking unpasteurised milk. There are very good reasons why Louis Pasteur's name went down in the history books.

Do be careful. A friend of mine hooked up with a Ger-man who only drank fresh farm milk. She got deathly ill from it. Seems her system wasn't accustomed to all the bacteria that was in it. He had been drinking it for years and probably still does. Some of the bacteria they found were e coli. She called it cow shit milk.

My experience is that any farmer with cows will sell you milk. You just have to come with your own jugs. These you can purchase on the web (google "milchkanne"). Unfortunately, there are virtually no more that come in stainless steel and hold only 2 liters. I don't know any farms near Nürnberg but there are two here in Spardorf (one at the beginning of Rathsbergerstrasse and the other on Uttenreutherstrasse) outside of Erlangen and they both sell fresh raw milk. A friend of ours who lives in Nürnberg always drinks a whole liter when he comes to visit us! The milk is the same price as in the supermarket but the farmer gets a bigger share.

The only place I've ever seen raw milk in Germany is at a fancy place in Munich called Manufactum. It was actually labeled as 'Vorzugsmilch.'

Vorzugsmilch is rare and pricy because the farms producing it have to be certified by authorities, and certain requirements are rather strict regarding Vorzugsmilch.

Raw milk as sold by farms may only be sold (to other people) if:

- the customer is made aware of the fact that it should be boiled before drinking

- the milk came out of the udder less than 36 hours ago

- the standard testing battery has been performed on the milk

- the fact that you're selling raw milk has been announced to the relevant authorities

Milchverordnung, §§ 7-8.

- the customer is made aware of the fact that it should be boiled before drinking

Listen to fraufruit. Omitting that is very dangerous. Boiling won't change the taste - the strange taste of H-Milch or ESL-Milch is mostly caramel, as a result of pasteurization at very high temperatures.

With some luck you can still find fresh milk at your supermarket. Read the declarations carefully. ESL Milch is marked with "länger frisch" - thats the wrong milk; when you can't find "länger frisch" on the package, you've got luck. I haven't tried for a while, but the shop where I found some fresh milk sold some under the Landliebe brand. It will still be homogenized though, but I never bothered.

Again, this is in Regensburg, not Nürnberg. But just thought the original poster might like to know that the small, independent Bioladen across the street from us just put up a sign that they will begin getting a bi-weekly delivery of Vorzugsmilch. So keep looking! It might just crop up in a place you're not expecting it!

We've been buying raw milk, eggs and meat without incident for years from local farms. Would trust it way before any supermarket industrially produced stuff.

One look at your profile picture tells me that your preference for raw food is not without its side-effects. :P

I used to get some from a farm in kunreuth, I didn't like the taste though. The raw milk I bought in NY was heavenly but I imagine they don't cool the milk fast enough? Whatever the reason it tasted very cow-ey and went off within a day or two.

I'd love to have a source of raw milk close by, or easily accessible.

Looking for a source in Stuttgart for raw milk. Any ideas?

I haven't seen it at the farmers markets.

I'm guessing that downtown I might find Vorzugsmilch.

But this article gives hope to find Rohmilch.

Thanks.