Which past members do you miss the most?

718 posts in this topic

Hey, errbody! Thanks for missing me. We went on a very extended vacation in northern Italy and Southern France (cool beaches, great snorkeling) that culminated in a culinary week in Lyon. I learned to make oeuf meurette and proper baguette. Now, we're back home and I have a backlog of work.

Go vote, Americans. Death to the orange imbecile...well, at least loss of $ and prestige...maybe jail.

1 hour ago, AlexTr said:

Go vote, Americans.

👍  Our emailed midterm ballots for the November 8th election in KS are sitting on the kitchen table as we speak.  Working, among other things, to keep our Democratic governor Laura Kelly in office, and to resoundingly defeat crazy Kris Kobach 🤦‍♀️ for AG and hold him back from the national stage again. 🤞🤞  Every vote makes a difference folks!  VOTE!

On 23/09/2022, 19:28:13, Chelski said:

Who do I miss the most?

Don Riina

Snarky, dark, abrasive in his replies, but didn't give a fuck.

He would always start his monologues of his journey home from work with a beer in hand, and end with "so I got my knob out". Very funny guy.

But his alter ego was the best chef on TT. He knew everything about food. (Newbies check out the Cooking Section).

I'm still Doing a Turkey for Christmas dinner Don Riina style every three years. Its hard work but worth it. Check it out kids.

Wherever you are Don, thank you.

*Posted from my hof with a smartphone in one hand, a beer in the other, and my knob hanging out in rememberance.*

On 21/09/2022, 22:36:28, kathdonn said:

I miss the snark of don_riina - he could be pretty strong without being openly vulgar, and TT was more interesting for it.

don_riina: 4/27/2008

Very bad example. If a recipe said "18.75 grams of fresh rosemary", then what sort of rosemary? There is a mighty swing in the intensity of flavour between a plant growing in the garrigue of provence, to one raised in a greenhouse in Unterschleissheim. Stalks or leaves? Do thyme flowers count as thyme?

Cups and measuring spoons and that sort of exact bullshit is for women who "bake", or people with Michelin stars to worry about, who have to get exact consistency every time.

What if a recipe said, fry 2 parboiled, sliced potatoes in a "knob" of butter? How big your knob is depends on the size of your spuds.

don_riina, like many of the "original" crowd, doesn't post on here any more, but he's still in Munich (or somewhere nearby) as far as I know.

And speaking of the "original crowd", just today I heard the sad news that a couple of members from back in the day have recently passed away.

@Punchbear and @Wee Mun were both regular posters back in the day.  I never met either of them in person as far as I know, but they were both popular on the forums.  I remember Punchbear in particular because he got involved when I was running a wind-up against some Nigerian scammer who had posted a classified ad, providing me with photoshopped Western Union receipts.  I don't have the link to hand, but look for a thread about "teacup sized puppies", probably in the Supporters forum.

RIP both of them.  It's a shame that there are probably not many people still on here that remember them.  Back in the day there would have been dedicated obituary threads running to multiple pages.

Wow, @Punchbear was posting as recently as September this year, sad to see him go, I remember a few funny threads that he was involved in.

Yeah, I noticed that too, although it was only the one post in September.  Before that, he was only active with a brief flurry of posts in August last year, and before that he hadn't been active since 2018.

9 minutes ago, MadAxeMurderer said:

Oh dear, I remember both of them.

I even remember Don Riina's dog, a magnificent hound

I remember that magnificent post after the dog's death. But no idea how to find it on here.

6 minutes ago, john g. said:

I remember that magnificent post after the dog's death. But no idea how to find it on here.

Bloody hell, Panda! You are amazing❤️.

( just wondering if you can find my Bolivia posts.. or poverty thread!😂)..

Rereading his post- what a post. The love for his dog, the humour, his pain, the ( again ) pain. Simply magnificent.

And, man, the pain of a loss of a pet..yep, the pain and the memories.

On 19/03/2022, 20:00:35, tor said:

In case you are wondering what the enfant terrible is up to, he has been quite busy lately. .

Thanks for posting that. That vid is when I first started to consider what I do to be music (I’m surely biased though). 

3 minutes ago, tor said:

the bitch is back :)

Oh, the other guy! I've never been away😂

(Apart from 10 years in Greece!)😂

Please learn the word malaka!😂👍

10 hours ago, john g. said:

Please learn the word malaka!😂👍

When I started to study Computer Science in 1970 we had a fellow student from Greece!

I so much miss @hellfire99 and his confident predictions of Brexit success. Such a pity he’s no longer around to witness the reality.