Selling a car in Germany

52 posts in this topic

Why would you think he would be driving off on your insurance??? No, it doesn't work like that.

He needs to get Kurzzeitkennzeichen to collect and drive off - he only gets these when he has his own insurance cover.

You need to deregister the car (it is better if you do it yourself) - you need this to inform your insurance to stop paying it and to stop paying road tax on it (and get back any money already paid in advance).

Make sure that the exact TIME of key+docs handover as well as the date of the transaction is recorded on the Kaufvertrag.

Before allowing someone to take a test drive, make sure you agree on whose insurance it will be (best get it in writing) in case of an accident during the test drive. Also, go with them as a passenger in the car (you don't want them driving off in it, do you).

Only hand over the Fahrzeugbrief+keys+last HU/AU certificates when you have the cash in hand. If he doesn't have all the cash there and wants to come back to collect the car ask him for €100 deposit and give him a signed+dated receipt for it.

Why would you think he would be driving off on your insurance??? No, it doesn't work like that.

Well I didn't think it worked like that either but from what I read in previous posts on this thread it has seemed to have been the case.

I had understood that he should bring Kurzzeitkennzeichen to take the car away and possibly for the test drive.

Also, go with them as a passenger in the car (you don't want them driving off in it, do you).

I know I am female oh and yes I am blonde too but do you really honestly think you needed to tell me that? :lol: Of course I will be going with him and ideally I'll get a male colleague to come with me as well.

Well I didn't think it worked like that either but from what I read in previous posts on this thread it has seemed to have been the case.

I had understood that he should bring Kurzzeitkennzeichen to take the car away and possibly for the test drive.

Well, you've got two options:

a. Let him use your plates. By signing the contract (take down the date and time) he becomes liable for the tax and possible tickets/fines. Your insurance covers him and you will most likely lose your rebate if he causes an accident. You can specify in the contract that the buyer is liable for insurance-related damages (rebate loss), but you may have to take him to court for that because that's a private agreement. In fact a lot of standard contracts already include that.

b. Arrange for temporary plates. In this case the buyer buys insurance before getting the plates and you aren't liable for anything. He can either get a Deckungskarte from the insurance company he's planning to use for the car (cheap) or buy coverage from a third party insurer (expensive)

Version 1: The buyer has the temp plates made at his local Zulassungsstelle and shows up with plates in hand. You just keep your plates, take them to your Zulassungsstelle, show them the bill of sale and deregister the car. Not too many buyers will spring for this because it's a waste of money if they end up not buying the car.

Version 2: He shows up with just the Deckungskarte (proof of insurance) and you go to the Zulassungsstelle together. You deregister the car, he gets his temp plates.

(technically there's also a third option, namely deregistering the car and having the buyer drive it with invalidated plates (covered by your insurance), but that's a headache because of all the restrictions that apply. not recommended unless you really know what you're doing)

Some more info for people looking to sell their car:

Standard contracts are available from autoscout24, mobile and a lot of other places.

What the seller needs to do:

-Notify the Zulassungsstelle that issued the current plates and the current insurer about the sale (fax or mail them a copy of the contract)

-Hand over the Fahrzeugbrief, Fahrzeugschein, AU and TÜV protocols

-Take down the time/date, buyer's full name and address (ask to see his Personalausweis)

-Ask to see his driving license, especially if he's using your plates

Note in the contract of purchase, at which time (hrs:mins) you sold the car and what time (one week) you offer to the customer to get new reg plates. Then fax all the paperwork to your insurance agent and go and carry all this paper to your "Zulassungsstelle" (registration office). When the customer gets caught while speeding (or similar) the police will send you a letter ho was driving the car. You answer that and all is fine. In case of an accident YOUR insurance will pay. But they know, that you don't have a contract any more and they will go to the new owner and get all their money back and you do not notice anything.

As an advise: Read this or find somebody translating it for you.

Thank you very much journeyboy finally it is clear to me. I had actually found most information under the KFZ Ausdruck.de page yesterday but it still didn't state clearly anywhere what the score was if he/she was to have an accident whilst driving on my plates.

Now as for informing the Zulassung can I just send/fax them the form or do I need to go in person? Would faxing it in advance being sufficient and then taking them the original docs next week? The reason I ask is I have also applied to transfer my licence to a German one as the UK photocard was due to expire so as soon as it arrives (probably next week) will need to go to the Zulassung to collect it again so would rather only make one trip since they are only open during work hours.

When I sold a car I used a standard ADAC sale contract and filled out time and date of sale. I let the buyer drive on my plates on the understanding that he drove directly to the Zulassungstelle and re-register the car. He phoned me later to confirm he had done this.

So a friend moved away and has now asked me to sell his car for him. I have the zulassungsbescheinigung in my possession.

Will I be able to legally sell it? what do I need to do to be able to legally sell it?

A notarized letter authorizing me to sell it?

Should I buy it from him for €1?

Does the zulassungsbescheinigung need to be in my name?

thanks.

I think you can go ahead, others may know better but if there are any problems can you get him to write / sign a vollmacht for this specific task?

Hi guys,

I have to sell my newly bought car (4 months old) as I am moving our of Germany to US. I have financed this car for €11K from bank11.

Can anyone help me with the process to deal with this foreclosure with bank and best way to negotiate the terms :)

Thanks

LM

So you need to ask the bank (or look closely at the loan contract) to see if there are any penalties for settling early, amazingly German banks sometimes impose them.

Then you'll know how much you need to pay them to settle.

Second step is selling your car.

If it's new then I assume you bought it from a main dealer? Try asking what they'd offer for it.

The two main online sites for selling are autoscout & mobile.de.

Good luck.

Edit:

If you sell back to a dealer there's a good chance he'll take care of the paperwork and deregistration for you, otherwise you need to return the number plates and deregister it at the Landratsamt / Zulassungsstelle. Once this is done your insurance will automatically be informed although it may be a good idea to forewarn them anyway.

You should get a refund for insurance months paid but not used and also likewise for car tax months not used from the Finanzamt, but again, let them know just to make sure, especially as you're not changing a car but moving abroad.

6 hours ago, Malt-Teaser said:

So you need to ask the bank (or look closely at the loan contract) to see if there are any penalties for settling early, amazingly German banks sometimes impose them.

Then you'll know how much you need to pay them to settle.

Second step is selling your car.

If it's new then I assume you bought it from a main dealer? Try asking what they'd offer for it.

The two main online sites for selling are autoscout & mobile.de.

Good luck.

Edit:

If you sell back to a dealer there's a good chance he'll take care of the paperwork and deregistration for you, otherwise you need to return the number plates and deregister it at the Landratsamt / Zulassungsstelle. Once this is done your insurance will automatically be informed although it may be a good idea to forewarn them anyway.

You should get a refund for insurance months paid but not used and also likewise for car tax months not used from the Finanzamt, but again, let them know just to make sure, especially as you're not changing a car but moving abroad.

Thanks for this input. I will speak with the bank, only problem is my german skills ;)

Well, you managed to buy a car and get a loan so maybe you'll find a way to communicate that you'd like to sell and pay it off.

While this thread is more in the direction of plates and insurance, rather than start a new one, I'll add to it.

After more than 30 years living in Germany, I have learned and have become quite comfortable in the various ways Germans do things.  But in the matter of selling a car there is one phenomenon that I am finding rather odd.

So, I have been trying to sell my extra car.  It's on both Mobile.de and Autoscout since the beginning of May.  I had it at a certain price and after the first few potentials came round, I dropped it to a better asking price.

When I bought my T3 Bus a few years back, I made an appointment with the seller.  Had a once over and did a test drive.  Returned the next day with a mate whose a mechanic and then offered a price a wee lower than what was asked.

The oddity with the car I'm selling?  There's been roughly 20 people who've contacted me since the beginning of May with interest in the car.  Only two, in the initial contact, have only asked for an appointment to stop by.  The others, in their initial contact, have asked for my 'Schmerzgrenze' regarding the price.  Attempting to negotiate the price before actually seeing the car or doing a test drive.  I cannot comprehend this.   Granted, there are 14 or so photos, and I've detailed the car well in the write-up.  But to ask for a price before driving, I just cannot get me head around.

I have owned numerous cars in my life, both new and used, but I've never done what's described above.

Is it just me or have others encountered this as well?

I've heard about this quite often and yes, it may seem strange but that's what they do these days.

Many of the enquirers are looking to get as cheaply as possible, give-away price so they can sell it onwards or even put it on a trailer and head east with it.

Of course some are potential buyers who may want to own and use it, but not as many as you may think.

Yep... Most folks on autoscout etc are looking for a bargain to send east...   

I just leave my old car on the drive with a for sale sign in the screen with a stupidly high price and then wait for the BG registered cars and vans to stop by and kick a tire or two!

If it starts... they usually buy it..

We often get that selling anything on eBay Kleinanzeigen. Is your price within the low end of the online valuation range...i.e. autoscout24, mobile.de valuation tool? Maybe interested people just can't be bothered to travel far.  You could try eBay Kleinanzeigen as you should get more local interest. 

You could always try wirkaufendeinauto.de just to get rid quickly. Some are offered decent prices, some not so.  

Good luck 

..and then a lad from Kempten rang this morning.  He wants to come by and see the car.  No offer on the phone.  He stopped by, we chatted about the car, did a test drive and he did a one-over.  He liked the price and still no negotiation.  He wants to have a mechanic come by on Monday and have a once-over as well.

To me, that's how it's done. 

Nice to know though from your comments, that this is an oddity and not merely Hondo-brain going off.