Selling a car in Germany

52 posts in this topic

Hi,

I would like to sell my car in Germany. I bought this car in Germnay few years ago and I found a potential buyer for it.

My first question is : Should I give him my plates or not (I will leave Munich this summer) ? I understood that Germans keep their plates.

Second point is: Should I deregister (Abmeldung) "those plates" to stop the insurance and not pay the car taxes anymore ?

Thanks for your help

Olivier

When my boyfriend sold his car, the plates went with the car. The person who bought the car then had to go to, well, somewhere, and register the car and take over the plates.

After that, I don't know.

Bookstore's have templates for contracts (Kaufvertrag), easiest thing to do would be to get/use one of those. You don't need to deregister b/c the Kaufvertrag will state that your insurance is no longer liable once you've sold the car. And the plates go with the car.

The situation is still not clear for me because, when I call my insurance company they say that I have to do this abmeldung... :blink:

Yeah you definitly need to go in to the KFZ Zulassungsstelle and deregister. I think what you do with the plates is optional, you can hand them in, or leave them on the car. I am not totally sure on that point because I usually sell them to wreckers who dont intend to reregister so I hand the plates in. Just ask at the KFZ Zulassungsstelle.

You can also download a contract from the ADAC website that I think is legally binding when signed by both parties. We have used this twice when selling our cars over here. Keeps it all above board and you will have something in writing with both signatures if there is any comeback. Just a thought.

I am about to sell my car and the way I understood the process is that when the new owner registers the car under their name, then that automatically deregisters you and notification is sent then to your insurance company. I have been told not to deregister the car; that the plates would stay with the car and this is how I remember it going down when I bought the car.

Whenever I have sold a car in Germany I have left the plates on it and the buyer has re-registered. You only need to de-register yourself if you don't trust the buyer to do so.

Edit: what Pao has heard is correct

I'll check with my wife. She's lived here for 14 years and just sold her car, so hopefully it should be fresh in her mind. but i know that when i sold my car to the garage where i bought a new one, they dealt with everything for me (but that's not a lot of help to you) ;)

As far as I remember it's only important to notify your insurance company. I really can't remember if I deregistered or not as it's about as long ago as it is since Pao bought his.

my wife said that if someone else buys it and then registers it, this will automatically deregister yours. they can take your plates or they can choose their own number.

The important thing is to cancel/freeze your insurance so that they are notified that it is no longer you who is driving it. There are a number of cases of someone buying a car, crashing it and the onus being on the seller as the paperwork hadn't been done correctly. That's why a signed & dated contract is also important.

Britboard also has a spiel on this.

Thanks a lot for all your replies.

I found a page from the Munich Lankreis saying that the only thing what you have to do is to send a copy of your selling contract to them.

http://www.landkreis-muenchen.de/landratsa...atsamt_1887.htm

In few words, I have perhaps to conclude that there is no 1 way to do it...

What I will do will be:

- let him my plates

- Stipulate in the contract that he has to register to the KFZ in 1 week (I understood too that the Anmeldung will trigger "automatically" the abmeldung.

- I will send a copy of the contract to my insurrance company and the KFZ.

I will also indicate a date and hour until when the car is still my property. After, if the buyer has an accident, he will be covered by my insurance (this delay able the buyer to drive the car to go home) but I will not be involved in it (this is no more my car). Also if the buyer has a fine, because I will send the copy of the contract to the KFZ, they will see that with the new owner of the car. If the new owner forget to do the anmeldung after 1 week, the car would be considered by Police as illegal on roads, for the risk of the buyer.

Probably if you sell your car to a non-german this is better to do the abmeldung...

Hi,

This is a great thread so thanks for your inputs first.

I am trying to sell my car but to someone who is travelling from another EU country. Can you confirm that I can deregister the car and still drive it back to my place or does the deregistering mean I lose the number plates?

You will lose your plates when you abmelden.

In my opinion, you should deregister and leave it on private land. The buyer can then go along and register and collect it from your house and drive away on his own plates and his own insurance.

This is what our insurance man advised us to do when I pushed him on the risks involved of letting the buyer deregister himself. Up to that point all he told us was, make a contract and make sure it says he has to do the Abmeldung himself.

It seems overly trusting that you can sell it on and the buyer drives away covered by your insurance. Granted in most cases it is fine. The problems arise when say, for example, the driver gave you false particulars and has an accident. The insurance company then cannot trace him and you end up suffering the increased premiums not to mention sleepless nights.

Mr Insurance Man also said that you should de register yourself especially if the car is being exported. Same issues I imagine with insurance. The only way I would let someone drive away on my plates is if I knew them extremely well. Call me cynical :)

Cool, thx Mellelisa. So I should just take the plates off the car and get a friend to drop me at the Zulassungstelle to de-register, then it is all up to the buyer, right?

I am trying to sell my car but to someone who is travelling from another EU country. Can you confirm that I can deregister the car and still drive it back to my place or does the deregistering mean I lose the number plates?

When your de-register your car you lose the plates and it is no longer legal to drive in on the public road. Your insurance terminated at the same time.

However, there is no reason to take your car to de-register. Only the plates. Park it off the road, remove the plates and take them to the Zulassungstelle to de-register it. It's then up to the new buyer to sort out re-registration (or put it on the back of a truck) before he takes it away...

Yes. That would be best. We actually dropped it as his house (private land), concluded the contract, cashed the money, deregistered and then it was up to him to register.

When your de-register your car you lose the plates and it is no longer legal to drive in on the public road. You insurance terminated at the same time.

You can keep the plates if you want but you have to grind off the two stickers in the middle (TÜV/Insurance?) before you can deregister (there is a hand driven machine beside the de-registration desk to let you do this).

Also, I met the buyer at my bank, did the contract and he paid the cash directly into my account (I never even touched it). We then dropped the car on his private land and he drove me to de-register.

Ok so I am a little unclear about what I should do in my case.

Someone is coming to look at my car and is willing to pay cash for her. I have a 'Kaufvertrag' here ready but I am assuming he will want to drive the car off tomorrow.

Should I take the plates off tomorrow and de-register her myself?

He won't be able to keep my plates as he is coming from Wetzlar will need to register it there.

I am assuming if he drives it off tomorrow with my plates on then he'll be covered under my insurance which I don't want.

Of course I should have asked him this on the phone, maybe he is already planning on bringing Kurzzeitkenzeichen with him or something.

I am happy for him to keep my plates but I don't want him driving under my insurance...