Different internet rates for new and old customers

16 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I am moving and want to take my internet connection along. I see a better offer, both in terms of connection speed and price, with my provider. I tried to change it through their website and had to pay 9€ more than a new customer. So, I called the support and was told the offer is only for new customers.

Would it be legal to offer the same product at different prices to new and old customers? And what more my contract time increases to 24 months just as a new customer's. I don't want to pay 200€ more. Can I do something about it?

Ciao

No. Unfortunately, this is a standard practice here.

It is often frustrating when one is a long term loyal customer and see the newbies getting better deals.

Hi all,

I am moving and want to take my internet connection along. I see a better offer, both in terms of connection speed and price, with my provider. I tried to change it through their website and had to pay 9€ more than a new customer. So, I called the support and was told the offer is only for new customers.

Would it be legal to offer the same product at different prices to new and old customers? And what more my contract time increases to 24 months just as a new customer's. I don't want to pay 200€ more. Can I do something about it?

Ciao

Here in Germany, is you are no longer under the minimum contract duration, can you not just stop being their client and thus count as a new client?

I am guessing you are still under the 24 months :( But regarding Fraufruit's remark, if you really are a loyal long-term customer (beyond the 24 months), how is this not a possibility?

Anyway in my home country new customers get better terms and extra kit (which is sometimes useful to have) as well.

What really works nicely is that you do not even need to "become" a new customer (not sure it would work here)!

It goes like this: you are no longer under the (typically 1 year) contract. You contact the provider to ask how to cancel, they will ask why you want to cancel. Explain why. They transfer you to a customer retention rep. You explain to this rep. that you are actually just going to cancel and be their customer again. The rep (possibly worried that you can switch to a competitor after you cancel) says that this is not necessary then, they can migrate you to the new service as if you were a new customer.

They still get away with overcharging the majority of old customers though, I guess because they do not notice they are being overcharged or because they don't care enough to go through this "ritual" every year.

Ivo.

call them up and say "hey, that is not fair", what can you offer me? then they will make you a deal. i did this with 1und1 and renegotiated my rate, but had to extend my contract for a year, which was ok, since i was nearing the end of my 24 month period.

Hi, I did my homework and this was the closest thread I could find for my question :P

In a few months my 2-year subscription with my internet provider (CableSurf) finishes, so I am starting to look around for offers or promotions. According to check24, my own provider offers better deals to new customers (or if they are with another company, "Wechsler-Aktion") than the one I'm getting.

My question is, do you know whether I can take advantage of this 'new customer' promotions when renewing my 24-month subscription?

Thank you

Not officially (that's why they're called "new customer bonuses"). But if you call/write them and threaten to switch to the competition, they might make you a better deal.

1 hour ago, El Jeffo said:

Not officially (that's why they're called "new customer bonuses"). But if you call/write them and threaten to switch to the competition, they might make you a better deal.

That's true...we've done this with Vodafone a few times and ended up with a better price with them  than their 'new customer' price.  If you  want to change provider, be sure to cancel in writing (recorded delivery by post often better than by email. Ask for postal written confirmation of cancellation) within the contractual terms...usually 2-3 months or the contract terms may state that it automatically continues for another year or more.  They are then very likely to offer you a better deal to retain your account.

Other providers may even pay off your contract if it's not very long and deal with all the necessary cancellation etc. Unitymedia and Telekom offered to pay off 6 months of our remaining contract for an early switch.  

2 hours ago, Skyforger said:

In a few months my 2-year subscription with my internet provider (CableSurf) finishes, so I am starting to look around for offers or promotions. According to check24, my own provider offers better deals to new customers (or if they are with another company, "Wechsler-Aktion") than the one I'm getting.

I hope "few months" means "four months"? Because if you do not cancel your contract 3 months in advance it will be renewed for another 12 months automatically.

Either do what El Jeffo suggests, or you can cancel the contract and then register again as a new customer the date after cancellation. I did it once (not that I wanted, but KD salesman bullied me into doing this), it worked just fine.

I have not tried this but someone I know says she uses the following procedure with most contracts that she gets into in Germany. After signing up for the service, say for an internet provider, she sends a certified letter saying that she wants to cancel the contract at the earliest date possible, which would be the end of the 12 month period. She said before the cancellation date she starts getting all kinds of "offers" to entice her to say, and since she has already officially given notice of cancellation, she can either stick with the cancellation and sign up with a different company, or take them up on their incentive offer.

17 minutes ago, maryrrf said:

I have not tried this but someone I know says she uses the following procedure with most contracts that she gets into in Germany. After signing up for the service, say for an internet provider, she sends a certified letter saying that she wants to cancel the contract at the earliest date possible, which would be the end of the 12 month period. She said before the cancellation date she starts getting all kinds of "offers" to entice her to say, and since she has already officially given notice of cancellation, she can either stick with the cancellation and sign up with a different company, or take them up on their incentive offer.

There's no need to send a certified letter. Just ask for written confirmation from the company, which is free. Sometimes, you can also cancel by email (check the AGBs for how to do the Kündigung).

I have done that several times because it always pissed me off that my internet provider (Vodafone at the time) was giving better deals to new customers than they were giving me. I also confronted them several times about it but they never came around and offered me a better deal, so I'd cancel, wait until the contract expired and then get a new line with a new phone number at a lower price. It was a pain in the ass, to be honest, because every time the new contract started some technician from Deutsche Telekom had to come to do God knows what, which meant you had to be home.

I know stick with my provider with their cheapest deal. I have cabelsurf.de in one place and unitymedia in the other. The unitymedia is the cheapest (20 euros/month) and they ring me constantly to sell me a more expensive connection. I just ignore them.

So, my experience is different as your friend's. They never offered a deal to stay, so I had to cancel and get a new contract.

EDIT: Also, I've just checked and unitymedia doesn't offer a better deal to new customers than they are giving me, cabelfon does, but only for a year, and I am not entitled to it.

12 minutes ago, maryrrf said:

which would be the end of the 12 month period.

Internet contracts for new customers are 24 months, then automatic extension for 12 months if not canceled 3 months in advance. The Telecom mafia is also allowed to stick you to 24 months contract if you upgrade the speed...

There are a few internet contracts that can be cancelled at any time, but they are rare.

Yourkeau is right about the Telecom mafia extending your contract by two years if you make any kind of change. They are the most expensive provider and I don't understand why anyone uses them.

1 hour ago, Smaug said:

Tele[k]om ... the most expensive provider and I don't understand why anyone uses them.

because if anything doesn't work it is their fault and can't be blamed on the other provider

To get a fair offer you need to cancel.  I spent 4 hours with Vodafone Tring to get a better deal made all kinds of offers and got nothing.  Canceled my contract and 1 week later had an offer better than I asked for originally.  

This is the same the world over, surely we have all had this a thousand times?  You *always* get a better offer if they think they lost you than if they dont.  Doesnt matter if its a credit card, spotify or dsl. Not just in germany but everywhere.

I have been with Vodafone for 6 years. I make it a point to cancel the contract, towards the end of my contract period. Within a couple of days, they call back claiming to ask for feedback and end up giving me an offer better than the previous one. I now pay 19,99 euros everymonth for Deutschland All-net Flat , 12 GB data and EU roaming...

So cancel the contract, once they realise that you are customer that they are going to lose they will offer you a contract with better offers